TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

How ‘Birds Of Prey’ Went Astray With $33M+ Opening

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/

3rd Update Saturday AM:  Refresh for chart and more analysis In the wake of hitting highs with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the highest grossing R-rated movie of all-time, the 11 Oscar nominated and billion dollar-plus grossing The Joker, Warner Bros.’ DC hits a pothole in the road with the Suicide Squad spinoff Birds of Prey which made $13M yesterday (including previews) on its way to a $33.8M opening stateside. Unfortunately, the solid reviews of 82% certified fresh, a 4 stars PostTrak  and B+ CinemaScore audience exits (same as Suicide Squad and Joker) aren’t doing any favors here with their ticket sales. Rivals believe the exits are alright, not the kind of that take you over the top in ticket sales.

• Like 7

Just now, John Marston said:

What’s up with the blame on “marketing”? I saw has Plenty of marketing everywhere 

Burds of Prey tanking like this shows audiences had no interest in it. Period 

I think they should have released an R rated trailer online. Only online in cinemas have a different trailer that's PG 13.

Releasing an R rated would have given the audience a better understanding of what the movie is about. I think may not even realized watching the trailers that the movie is rated R.

3 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

It’s the stuff to do with Steve that sounds so bad to me... with the film’s macguffin, and what happens to Diana... 🤮

It’s a comic book movie. There’s usually not logic involved. Kind of like someone getting rid of 1/2 the population of the universe with one snap and then five years later, some super heroes travel back in time to undo everything. That worked extremely well, because people were invested in the story. There are many people invested in WW and Steve. I recall during the review period for the first film, many critics remarked on how ridiculous many of the lines were: “My mother sculpted me from clay and I was bought to life by Zeus”, yet people just went with it. It’s all about how it comes together on screen in its finished form. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

What’s up with the blame on “marketing”? I saw has Plenty of marketing everywhere 

Burds of Prey tanking like this shows audiences had no interest in it. Period 

It certainly doesn’t feel like BoP had any less marketing than Joker. Less controversy, certainly... but the actual released trailers, posters, ads etc don’t feel that much different?

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Why are WW84 spoilers being discussed in thread? 

Please stop this. 

Mods. 

What spoilers are being discussed? I have not seen any. The swinging on lightning that I mentioned is in the trailer. So maybe others have included spoilers. I have seen people refer to Steve’s return, but in a non specific way. 

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Why are WW84 spoilers being discussed in thread? 

Please stop this. 

Mods. 

How about instead of just saying "mods", you actually report these posts? Just saying "mods" won't make us drop everything and look things over.

Besides, the leak talk is purposefully vague without spoiling anything, so it doesn't sound like spoilers to me, unless someone comes out and says something like, "I can't believe the leaks say Diana saves the day with Footloose".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eric Sionis said:

How about instead of just saying "mods", you actually report these posts? Just saying "mods" won't make us drop everything and look things over.

Besides, the leak talk is purposefully vague without spoiling anything, so it doesn't sound like spoilers to me, unless someone comes out and says something like, "I can't believe the leaks say Diana saves the day with Footloose".

110% on Rotten Tomatoes.

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The delusion on some of the Synder stans that the DCEU falling apart isn’t his fault and he’s the sole reason why Wonder Woman (which yes he did write and cast Gal Gadot, but simultaneously discount the works of Patty Jenkins and the other crew) succeeeded, ignoring the fact that BVS still has the worst legs for a CBM and something that should’ve done $1B on paper with ease, failed to jump to $900M, or saying Suicide Squad had good WOM and Snyder was responsible for it. Yet discounting efforts like Aquaman and Joker (while not DCEU was still a big movie) that were done without him or part of the reasons why JL which he was credited for, fell was because of BVS WOM.

At best, you guys are a vocal minority.

Though I do think a key problem from Shazam and BoP underperforming was WB’s new marketing. I get they have been burned by comic con trailers but doing two trailers spaced apart by months and then minimal ads until the week for your tentpoles doesn’t really work imho.

Both movies were marketed fine. They were marketed as the films they were. They just didn’t have enough interest and maybe audiences didn’t like them as much as critics did 

Considering BOP had IMAX, Dolby, etc. and will likely lose a lot of those screens next weekend with this weekends performance taken into account, I can’t see it having a friendly drop. 

With Charlie’s Angels and now this, studios are going to think twice about green lighting such films, which is too bad because they will work it you simply make them look interesting. Neither Charlie’s Angels or BOP looked very interesting from their trailers/ads

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 2