TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Ewan McGregor isn't the reason that both of these movies are underperfoming, give me a break.

it was a joke in response to everyone scrapping to find the factor that contributed outside of clearly an overestimated interest in BoP IP (at least OS no one gives a crap). 

BoP feels weird to me because it seems like its trying to be aimed at women, but I don't think what it is (an R rated comedy action movie) is very appealing to general female audiences. This is just my personal impression, but I can't imagine my mom ever wanting to watch this movie. And I do feel bad for the women who created and are starring in this movie but I think at least the ad campaign aimed at women was a bit misguided. I want to be clear though, obviously women watch female led superhero movies and they make money, we have plenty of evidence of that, I just think "deadpool but starring women" in particular was a hard sell to start with. I'm not worried about WW and BW at all however, I think they'll both do great. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MAKKALUL said:

BoP feels weird to me because it seems like its trying to be aimed at women, but I don't think what it is (an R rated comedy action movie) is very appealing to general female audiences. This is just my personal impression, but I can't imagine my mom ever wanting to watch this movie. And I do feel bad for the women who created and are starring in this movie but I think at least the ad campaign aimed at women was a bit misguided. I want to be clear though, obviously women watch female led superhero movies and they make money, we have plenty of evidence of that, I just think "deadpool but starring women" in particular was a hard sell to start with. I'm not worried about WW and BW at all however, I think they'll both do great. 

I actually agree...I think marketing missed on figuring out how to sell this to women...it assumed the makeup of the cast would do it, and went with Suicide Squad marketing techniques to get men...but that also didn't grab them, either.  So, it was lose-lose...and likely under Shazam...

And maybe a lot of folks love Harley, but see her like the Minions...amazing in small doses, but they can't imagine a whole movie carried by her that doesn't get to be too much...and no other character was sold for this movie, but Harley...so, all they think is "this will be too much"...

• Like 1

well, whether it grabbed women or not we'll find out when we get the demo breakdown. which we still don't have.

However, if someone expected that BoP would pull SS numbers from women attendance alone, that's really their problem. Such expectation is unrealistic and no one who made this movie expected that either. 

Edited by Valonqar

Birds Of Prey is an R rated comic book movie with a female supervillain as our antihero lead, that’s a tough sell on its own.

Plus too this was going to do Wolverine 2013 level at best. WB shouldn’t be crying and we shouldn’t be crying. Harley Quinn will be a profitable success as it will probably come close to $50 million if not over $50 million. Gross $130-$140 million domestic with a decent pull out international with Margot being the appeal.

random but since we are mentioning R rated comic book movies with a female lead closest female is Barb Wire with Pamela Anderson as that was based on a Dark Horse story. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, whether it grabbed women or not we'll find out when we get the demo breakdown. which we still don't have.

However, if someone expected that BoP would pull SS numbers from women attendance alone, that's really their problem. Such expectation is unrealistic and no one who made this movie expected that either. 

On opening previews and night, this was SS's breakdown...

Suicide Squad has a 73% total positive score, which is the same that BvS slotted. As we mentioned earlier, the David Ayer movie is bringing in more females than BvS, 42% to 31%. Also per PostTrak, the combination of African American and Hispanic moviegoers made up a huge 41% of the audience with both audiences giving the film a whopping 81% positive score. (End of weekend, those viewers were 39%).https://deadline.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-weekend-box-office-opening-will-smith-margot-robbie-1201799046/

So comparing BoP vs SS, maybe the marketing missed drawing from the non-white audience even more than it missed drawing from the female side (I had no idea SS really triumphed there, but Will Smith:))...but we'll see with the numbers later...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The Theater experience will die soon anyway.

This is the decade where diabetes & obesity go UP 60% in the west and everybody becomes a zombie sitting on their couch switching betweeen 4 or 5 streaming services that allow you to watch thousands of movies and shows for 12$ a month each while ordering your food through Uber Eats & Deliveroo.

The Toilet/Shower Chair  that allows everyone to not get up at all will soon be released by Amazon.

You have become the smartphone, connected to the Matrix.

GAME
OVER 

Do you ever say something that's not absolute bonkers nonsense? What drugs do you produce?

• Haha 6

This is a shame. I like Robbie, and would have liked to have seen this do well.

I guess the audience has a longer memory than some think. Suicide Squad was awful, and people haven’t forgotten that. BoP follows the aesthetic of that film way more than I thought it would.

I suppose if you’re going to consciously not market your film at the key demographic for comic book films, then it’s probably not a surprise if they don’t turn out for it.