TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

3 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Doesn’t he mean the Reddit leaks from late last year from people claiming to have been at test screenings of the film? I think ViewerAnon verified that they took place, from what I recall. 

1 person on Reddit.

The same thing happened before the first movie.

How much of it is the marketing itself, instead of the film not leaving enough for the marketing? I think it's the film's portrayal of these characters causing the issues. It takes these interesting characters (with potential marketing power) and strips them down to realistic, gritty versions of themselves. Aside from Harley, what's the difference between Canary, Huntress, and Renee Montoya? Two are badass women in leather and the other is a badass woman with a leather jacket. And Cassandra Cain is a little kid in an R-Rated film. 

Kind of a far cry from Guardians and Suicide Squad. Guardians had a wise-cracking Solo type, a badass woman in leather (but in green), an unhinged muscular alien, and a talking raccoon and tree. Suicide Squad had Will Smith as an assassin with a white mask and scope eye-patch, a human crocodile hybrid, a witch, a Mexican tatted up gangster with flamethrower hands, an iconic crazy clown couple, a wise-cracking Australian, and the straight man to balance everything out. Marketing team for both films had a field day. 

BoP takes a platinum blonde in fishnets and strips that away (Canary). A detective in a fedora and faceless mask and strips that away (Montoya). The silent, ninja-assassin adopted daughter of Batman and, you guessed it, strips that away (Cassandra Cain). Only Huntress resembles her comic counter-part, but she never visually stood out anyway. I'm not arguing that comic accuracy would've put butts in seats, but the film chooses to change everything iconic and marketable about these characters. 

Imagine if Wonder Woman wore her 90's leather jacket look instead of her iconic armor? Or Captain Marvel wore her Air Force outfit instead? Yeah you gotta make sure the characters are good in the film, but you also have to give people a reason to show up to said film. From a marketing standpoint, this film suffers by going the Marvel Netflix route. 

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

18 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Man of Steel is the best comic book movie of modern cinema, Joker aside.

Snyder's law - every weekend thread eventually will discuss the works of one Zachary Edward Snyder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, telcontar said:

He didn't write it. It was mostly Allan Heinberg with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns adding finishing touches. Also, Patty Jenkins said that Snyder's work was mostly about "arranging things" in the early stages.

Story by Zach Snyder, screenplay by Alan Heinberg. It's right there in the credits.

I'm not a ZS fan but it's bloody obvious he came up with the story, the photograph scene is right there in BvS before they even filmed WW.

15 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

I hate to say this, but so far this year all female led movies seem to be flopping. In my country India, two local films starring A list female actors flopped at box office even after getting good reviews. The rhythm section and now BOP in Hollywood seem to be the new casualties. Makes you wonder...

Umm...Black Widow and Wonder Woman 84 are gonna be the highest grossing films of the year domestic and worldwide.  Take your pick on which takes what crown. I think BW for WW and WW84 for domestic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Could Sony become the #1 Studio Domestic in 2020?

Everything is favouring them right now. 

If morbius and ghostbusters both over-perform than maybe. Because we know that Venom will probably do well.

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Harley said:

My guess is WB thought Robbie is a big enough of a name to put butts in the seats and she isn’t.  They probably should have cast some other big names to draw viewers. Casting unknowns sometimes backfires. 

I believe this movie was always seen as a Harley/Robbie vehicle, but WB/Robbie added the BOP to get some extra points (some of her stans made it out like she was doing them a favor by sharing her spotlight), and it showed in the Harley-centered marketing.  This is unappealing, if you're like me, and can't handle that character for long periods of time. The R-rating also locked out a lot of young female fans. Still, the numbers are decent. 

Edited by thedast

So we’re gonna have 4 big CBMs this year:

BW

WW84

Venom 2

Eternals  

and 4 small ones:

BoP

Bloodshot

New Mutants

Morbius   

Did I miss any? Was pretty amused to find 8 in what I’d been thinking of as a CBM light year.

I was waiting for all the "DC is dying!" Posts. Never change BOT.

Did DC die after WW or Aquaman or Shazam or Joker? Was anyone saying that?

Maybe this has something to do with SS but even then these trailers were horrible and they really should have done a red band trailer to show some of what's different about this.

DC is fine, The Batman and WW84 on the way. This is a blip on the radar. 

• Knock It Off 1

Good news is Birds of Prey is looking at 30% increase going by how ticket sales at MTC are. Iet us see where things stand this evening. That said even a better than norm previews to OW or OW to dom multi will not change the narrative. Its overall BO is well below expectations and I was not that optimistic(60/150 kind of run). 

That said the BOP run has no bearing on Wondy 2. That has the hype necessary for a big OW(to me favorite to have the biggest OW for the year). Batman next year will be Huge as well and as well Aquaman 2. Only question is Suicide Squad 2. We have to wait and watch how the hype is close to release. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1