TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Answering my own question, Taron Edgerton was just talking about it a few months ago in October, so I guess it is still indeed alive.

https://hnentertainment.co/kingsman-3-seemingly-has-been-greenlit-by-disney-fox/

Also, I forgot they were talking about a Statesman movie starring Channing Tatum too. If this next one is a hit, they'd probably keep going.

21 minutes ago, kitik said:

you forgot one on September 18

I think Kingsman looks great, much better than the second one. 

Funny side note, my sister's roommate kept singing Take me Home Country Roads and when I asked why she said it was some big meme of some audio of a guy singing it. Turns out when I listened to it, it was Mark Strong in Golden Circle :lol: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Could be simply that, it was really young but R-rated. Well it could have still worked I guess the first deadpool had an immense 18 to 24 audience and a good 10% under 18.

There were a surprising amount of old people (and I mean elderly) when I went to see Deadpool 2 on opening day. Not sure why, hahaha.

You know, when I see Birds of Prey when it comes out to digital or whatever, I'll probably be fine with it but they should have done the Gotham City Sirens with Harley, Catwoman and Poison Ivy. Hell, give me a Poison Ivy solo film while you're at it.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

You know, when I see Birds of Prey when it comes out to digital or whatever, I'll probably be fine with it but they should have done the Gotham City Sirens with Harley, Catwoman and Poison Ivy. Hell, give me a Poison Ivy solo film while you're at it.

LOL you're not going to see the Harley Quinn film in theaters. You think they're going to give you more of these films now? LOL

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

@Arendelle Legion is 200M WW for BoP still possible? I imagine it could still barely break even and not be in the red after home video (ala Alita) if it does above 200M, which would still be bad as WB were probably expecting this to make money, not barely break even. 

Sadly 200m would be a win for this opening at this point. It flopped at basically every market.

• ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

@Arendelle Legion is 200M WW for BoP still possible? I imagine it could still barely break even and not be in the red after home video (ala Alita) if it does above 200M, which would still be bad as WB were probably expecting this to make money, not barely break even. 

I’m optimistic on 200 atm, but gonna have to see the actual OS opening and 2nd weekend before we have a great idea one way or another.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Could Sony become the #1 Studio Domestic in 2020?

Everything is favouring them right now. 

Doubt it, I think Disney and WB will be top 2 again especially since Warner Bros has not only WW1984 but also Tenet and I have a hunch that Scoob may break out as well. 

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I’m optimistic on 200 atm, but gonna have to see the actual OS opening and 2nd weekend before we have a great idea one way or another.

thanks but nvm about breaking even, box office pro says it would need 235M which isn't happening, sike

As mentioned in our earlier weekend forecast, production costs were reportedly in the $85 – 100 million range. Factoring in marketing expenses, sources tell Boxoffice the film likely needs to reach upward of $235 million globally to break even for the studio once international television deals are factored in.

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I forgot about Shazam 2. Not sure how that will do. Shazam was buried in the Endgame mania. That is another movie we have to judge close to release. One way to amp it up is to get Rock in as Black Adam plus some cross over appearance of another SH. 

I think they'll connect Black Adam with Shazam 2, with a post credit scene. 

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

That said the BOP run has no bearing on Wondy 2. That has the hype necessary for a big OW(to me favorite to have the biggest OW for the year). Batman next year will be Huge as well and as well Aquaman 2. Only question is Suicide Squad 2. We have to wait and watch how the hype is close to release. 

WB will probably see BOP as a blip in the long run, WW1984 is way more important to them as their summer tentpole. 

I wonder if WB will be more selective with anti-hero/villain movies, Joker was huge but that's an iconic character likewise with Sony and Venom, they're going to in for a shock with Morbius later this year. I think a Lobo movie would do well because it would appeal to the audience who likes things like Bad Boys or the Has Fallen. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Menor said:

So it overindexed in the West...that's interesting because MTC2 has a very strong presence there and it really underperformed at that chain.

Mtc2 is also pretty big in the midwest so it makes sense that it was a wash. 

And by big, I mean it's easier to find them than MTC1 unless it's a major major city. 

Edited by narniadis

So it's safe to say if this Harley returns it'll likely be on HBO Max? Not sure Margot would go for that.

Serious question everyone. Do you think the "go woke, go broke" mindset is accurate?

Do you think that people saw some sort of SJW ness in this film and that's  why they didn't give it a chance?

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

35 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

So it's safe to say if this Harley returns it'll likely be on HBO Max? Not sure Margot would go for that.

Serious question everyone. Do you think the "go woke, go broke" mindset is accurate?

Do you think that people saw some sort of SJW ness in this film and that's  why they didn't give it a chance?

If Deadline is talking about woke levels in their boxoffice analysis, Hollywood is finally noticing people don't want that crap, especially if its poorly written or executed.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 2