TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

40 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

So it's safe to say if this Harley returns it'll likely be on HBO Max? Not sure Margot would go for that.

Serious question everyone. Do you think the "go woke, go broke" mindset is accurate?

Do you think that people saw some sort of SJW ness in this film and that's  why they didn't give it a chance?

No

Some?  Of course.  Not enough to matter

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

Serious question everyone. Do you think the "go woke, go broke" mindset is accurate?

Do you think that people saw some sort of SJW ness in this film and that's  why they didn't give it a chance?

Of course. So many of these kinds of films have failed recently that one would have to be wilfully obtuse to not acknowledge it as a huge factor in this debacle.

Edited by Fielding
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fielding said:

Of course. So many of these kinds of films have failed recently that one would have to be wilfully obtuse to not acknowledge it as a huge factor in this debacle.

Which ones?

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Don't give me a "WTF" reaction @TMP  have you been hiding under a rock?  You already know that this movie has no barring on what's to come lol

I was just bringing up a hypothetical "bruh", Phillips' film was the most profitable superhero film ever made and DC still hasn't green-lit a new project since it opened (Black Adam, Shazam! 2 and Flash were all in development before Joker came out)

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Which ones?

I don’t agree with the broader thesis, but presumably they’re talking about Charlie’s Angels, Terminator:Dark Fate, and to some degree perhaps Rhythm Section, Black Christmas, The Kitchen, MIB:I, and Booksmart.

Has anyone considered that perhaps Birds of Prey under-performed in part because the whole cinema industry is in a gradual decline that has been masked by the MCU machine?

Take out Endgame, and 2019 becomes the lowest earning year (global) since 2005.

I don't think the "wokeness" of BoP played a meaningful role. That kind of thought only exists on internet echochambers.

Aside from all the other reasons I've discussed at length, this is just the way of cinema now. A continuation of the trend we saw last summer with several major tentpoles (Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, Men In Black) suffer in a similar fashion.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 2/9/2020 at 12:07 AM, Fielding said:

And so many of those films that really do not match that description also failed recently (Hellboy, Solo, Tomb Raider domestic, Dolittle, Godzilla, Gemini Man, Ad Astra, Shaft, Alita (even if it was I am not sure the narrative around it was that it wasn't) Anna, White Boy Rick, Richard Jewell, Rambo, Serenity, Goldfinch, Alpha, Miles 22, First Man, Bad Times at the El Royale, Happytime Murders, Mortal Engine, Upgrade, Hurricane Heist well I imagine we could find hundreds in the last couple of year's year).

While many that would be called woke to fit the narrative like Hustler, Aladdin, Us, Little Women, Jojo RAbbit, The Hustle, What Men Want, Parasite, Ocean 8, Crazy Rich Asian are doing very well.

It does seem to have a couple of bias at this going on:

1) Sample size, take work not going with individual example but taking the last say 600 release, scoring them in a wokeness rank and commercial performance.

2) There is a bit, If I like the movie/worked well not being put into the woke pile and not necessarily how much issue around social/racial justice were part of the movie plot/aesthetic/direction choice.

3) If the movie is great/from a great director, it can be has woke has they can without much chance to get tagged in that category

4) Going with #1,  when an non-perceived woke affair fail will tend to leave very little remembrance (who think about Hurricane Heist, Deepwater Horizon, Milles 22, Welcome to Marwen, Hunter Killer, Geostorm when they think poor performance, if it was not controversial online and unseen it tend to get just forgotten)

It could be true (but it need to be counter balanced if there is any case where money was added/made because of it as well), but I am not sure how obvious it is.

Edit: Someone mentioned the Halloween reboot, that a really good example, would it had failed the go woke, go broke would have been all over that one, it did pretty much go far, it was excellent, it was a giant success, they forget all about it when they create column of recent winner/loser like I just did above, and that why it is not obvious one way or around we are really bad at doing stuff like that in our head.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Fielding said:

The only reason Captain Marvel survived was cause of the brand and massive promotional aspects to Endgame they said were in the film. Otherwise I think that would have met a similar fate. 

Star Wars I wouldn't even say survived as well. Like the brand film wise is down the tank not to mention the film barely made a billion which I know a film making over a billion dollars is never a failure...the grand finale of Star Wars should be making a lot more then what it made.

However I'm not sure that this really does play such a huge part in it. Although Charlie's Angels and Terminator Dark Fate also fell victim to these kind of things as well. So this pattern is troubling.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 4
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I don’t agree with the broader thesis, but presumably they’re talking about Charlie’s Angels, Terminator:Dark Fate, and to some degree perhaps Rhythm Section, Black Christmas, The Kitchen, MIB:I, and Booksmart.

Yep, those are the ones.