TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

4 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Wait correct me if Im wrong but they're really wasn't anything connecting Captain Marvel to Endgame except the post credit scenes

Which we only found out after we gave Disney our 15 bucks.

4 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Wait correct me if Im wrong but they're really wasn't anything connecting Captain Marvel to Endgame except the post credit scenes

That’s all you need. 

Really too bad that IW didn’t have a 2nd post-credits scene suggesting that AM&tW would be critical to Endgame, would have been nice to have 6 billies in a row ;)

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

34 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I don’t agree with the broader thesis, but presumably they’re talking about Charlie’s Angels, Terminator:Dark Fate, and to some degree perhaps Rhythm Section, Black Christmas, The Kitchen, MIB:I, and Booksmart.

What makes those movies "woke"?  Women as main characters?

• Like 1

Just now, ZackM said:

In the eyes of the people I often see lobbing this kind of criticism... yeah, pretty much having an all or very predominantly female cast of protagonists is enough to get the job done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Exactly.

Theres a contingent of people that have been brain washed to label everything led by women and minorities as woke. It’s basically part of the “4-Channing” of popular culture where people abandon critical thought and give in to ridiculous emotion. It’s a part of the rise of anti-intellectualism that’s become the norm due to our “leaders” preferring to gain support by blatant lies (the dishonesty in political discourse nowadays is pretty troubling to be honest). 

I still recall the noise over Captain Marvel and how “feminist” it was but upon watching the movie, i was surprised at how much the film makers consciously moved away from such themes. Same with Black Panther where some people said it was all about racism when that wasn’t even the main theme of the movie. It’s so ridiculous because a movie like Joker was far more explicitly political and even “woke” than Captain Marvel but the alt-right adjacent dude bros didn’t complain because it’s lead is a straight white man (I mean, the movie basically criticized the country’s health care system, treatment of the mentally and the poor).

There are works where the main theme is social political in nature but not every minority led or female led work is woke. That’s just innate bigotry/bias at work. 

BoP isn’t doing very well because 1) it’s rated-R, Harley isn’t that popular of a character to risk a big budget R-rated movie 2) it’s marketing campaign made it look like garbage, honestly, I had zero interest in the movie after seeing the trailers. I was surprised it got such good reviews but at that point, I’d already decided not to see it at all.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Has anyone considered that perhaps Birds of Prey under-performed in part because the whole cinema industry is in a gradual decline that has been masked by the MCU machine?

Take out Endgame, and 2019 becomes the lowest earning year (global) since 2005.

I don't think the "wokeness" of BoP played a meaningful role. That kind of thought only exists on internet echochambers.

Aside from all the other reasons I've discussed at length, this is just the way of cinema now. A continuation of the trend we saw last summer with several major tentpoles (Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, Men In Black) suffer in a similar fashion.

I half agree and half disagree, but moreso I do agree, I would just add something to your analysis. 

No, I don't think the "wokeness" of BoP played a role. Outside of us geeks on the internet, the majority of people who go see these big blockbusters don't give them enough thought to care whether its a female vs male cast or if the director is female or male etc etc. Your comment about cinema being in a state of decline, I would say has some merit, but I would rather say instead that it's in the middle of a state of change. 

All the movies you mentioned bombed, but it also didn't help that they all sucked to various degrees. The thing is, audiences have many many more options for entertainment nowadays: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube etc. The internet has given people a lot more agency when it comes to entertainment; cinemas aren't the only game in town anymore. You can go look up the Rotten Tomatoes score of Dark Phoenix before going to see it. You can watch multiple trailers for a movie on YouTube before deciding whether it's worth your $12. Audiences can more easily reject content that doesn't interest them now, and going to a movie on a whim just is a thing of the past (in my 5 years of working at a movie theatre selling tickets, I never once got someone come to the window and ask "what's something that's good that's playing?"

Movies like Endgame, Joker, Knives Out, they all offer something unique, be it quality, years of hype, or becoming the centre of media speculation for many months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TMP said:

I was just bringing up a hypothetical "bruh", Phillips' film was the most profitable superhero film ever made and DC still hasn't green-lit a new project since it opened (Black Adam, Shazam! 2 and Flash were all in development before Joker came out)

Joker was a superhero movie???  I think it was the most profitable comic book related movie relative to it's budget.  I think Endgame was more profitable.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

In the eyes of the people I often see lobbing this kind of criticism... yeah, pretty much having an all or very predominantly female cast of protagonists is enough to get the job done.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Rather than the movie being WOKE it's the marketing that's WOKE. BoP was marketed/pushed in a way that made people think they were trying to be WOKE with the movie. This has been the case with a lot of movies recently tbh, that's not to say that movies aren't trending more that way but for every Ghost busters (Goes woke does poorly) you've got a Tomb Raider (doesn't go woke, does at best average) which of course leads people to the wrong conclusion Ghost busters did poorly because they attempted to redo a classic without any of the old characters, just switching all the MC's genders was a secondary issue that got a lot of buzz, Tomb Raider did poorly because well it's a video game movie at the end of the day, unless it is freakishly amazing it'll get a resounding meh. At the first sign of trouble some of these movies jump straight towards the SJW handbook for why they are failing which just creates a snowball effect such that when the dust settles people assume that SJWness was the main reason rather than a scapegoat for frankly sloppy writing/plotting in a movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iHeartJames said:

A post credits scene on a 2 billion dollar movie that ties into another 2+ billion dollar movie.   I would say there was a factor there. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

noticing that ever since 2017 DC have been having a coin flip on and off success with their movies at the box office.

Wonder Woman breaks out>JL bombs> Aquaman is a huge hit>Shazam underperforms>Joker makes a billion> BoP underperforms (or maybe flops). 

so if this pattern continues, WW84 will breakout to a billion :stirthepot:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

A post credits scene on a 2 billion dollar movie that ties into another 2+ billion dollar movie.   I would say there was a factor there. 

Captain Marvel was not in the post credit scene of IW (just her logo that most people don't know), and she was not used in the EG promo until after her movie came out but go off. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Captain Marvel was not in the post credit scene of IW (just her logo that most people don't know), and she was not used in the EG promo until after her movie came out but go off. 

I'm sure nobody "googled" or paid attention to what it was all about though over the following months...   :wintf:

Only we have the internet.. apparently.. 

Edited by Johnny Tran
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ZackM said:

I would say it's more about the gender politics in the film. Not a single male in this film is portrayed in a positive light whatsoever. Every single male in the film is either portrayed as entitled, conniving, incompetent, very violent, not smart, a rapist, or all of the above. 

They also unnecessarily made Black Mask gay for no reason at all. I'd understand if they wanted him to have a romance with a male character but that didn't even happen. They kind of hinted at it but never made it clear, which could be taken as queer baiting which is unfortunate.

It also didn't help that the marketing for this film was borderline f*ck men territory.

IDK if that makes it woke, but I can see why male comic book fans wouldn't be excited to see that on screen. I myself didn't care. I had a good time with the film. I thought it was entertaining and leagues better then Captain Marvel. At least Harley has a personality.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

A lotta of people who didn’t know that logo when they walked into the movie did know it a week later. Iirc the Captain Marvel Wikipedia page had crazy page views after IW. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

If Captain Marvel only did well cause of connections to Endgame it would have dropped like a rock post-OW when people realised it didn't really have any major connections to Endgame. 

Yeah. People still can't get over their wrong Captain Marvel predictions, so this is the current excuse. At least its a step up from "Disney bought the  tickets" :redcapes:

• Like 7