TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

16 minutes ago, VENOM said:

It’s doing worse than BOP and costed twice as much to make so yeah surprisingly strong 

It was universally panned to the point it became a meme, yet still will come close to a 3.5x multiplier. I’d say it coulda done much worse. Obviously it’s not a good performance overall, but it could easily have fallen off a cliff after opening weekend

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It was universally panned to the point it became a meme, yet still will come close to a 3.5x multiplier. I’d say it coulda done much worse. Obviously it’s not a good performance overall, but it could easily have fallen off a cliff after opening weekend

BB3 is looking at 3.2x+ (200+ dom) multi with the same release date, as a sequel and from less leg-friendly genre. So 3.4-3.5x for Dolittle after a low ow is not great imo. Apart from already in release Jumanji there wasn't competition and most movies are showing great holds. Nevertheless will agree that it could have potentially faded faster.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, a2k said:

83% Verified RT score after 3,850+ ratings. Not good at all. Verified RT has been inflated compared to unverified score as it is for almost all movies. Like with gauging quality on the Maoyan scale movies shouldn't really fall below mid-80%s.

Meh. I think that’s just nit picking. 

6 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

I don't think it's quite that simple. Rather than the movie being WOKE it's the marketing that's WOKE. BoP was marketed/pushed in a way that made people think they were trying to be WOKE with the movie. This has been the case with a lot of movies recently tbh, that's not to say that movies aren't trending more that way but for every Ghost busters (Goes woke does poorly) you've got a Tomb Raider (doesn't go woke, does at best average) which of course leads people to the wrong conclusion Ghost busters did poorly because they attempted to redo a classic without any of the old characters, just switching all the MC's genders was a secondary issue that got a lot of buzz, Tomb Raider did poorly because well it's a video game movie at the end of the day, unless it is freakishly amazing it'll get a resounding meh. At the first sign of trouble some of these movies jump straight towards the SJW handbook for why they are failing which just creates a snowball effect such that when the dust settles people assume that SJWness was the main reason rather than a scapegoat for frankly sloppy writing/plotting in a movie.

This is so underrated. It's really marketing, and in many cases not even studio marketing, but media that insist something is woke, when it really isn't trying to be, cause that gives media clicks. And it works like a clock in the following scenario:

an unappealing looking movie that happens to be headlined by women and/or minorities flops

the main cause for floppage is unappealing previews

media condemns men or white audience for ignoring the movie due to sexism/racism even though women/minorities didn't bother with the trash looking flick (whether it's actually trash or not, it didn't look worth a penny in their eyes going by trailers, spots, etc which is how most people decide whether to watch something or not)

Media creates clickbait narrative that goes something like this "toxic [male, white] audience rebels against a woke movie" without caring for the fact that the movie was rejected by all demos 

Likewise, if a movie headlined by women and/or minorities succeeds, media pushes for clickbait narrative that it's the end of traditional [male, white] lead and that the only reason a movie succeeded is because it's woke.  There's usually no narrative of any kind when traditional lead movie either bombs or succeeds save /ourguy/ Scott's attempt to blame Solo bomb on the male hero :lol: 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, a2k said:

BB3 is looking at 3.2x+ (200+ dom) multi with the same release date, as a sequel and from less leg-friendly genre. So 3.4-3.5x for Dolittle after a low ow is not great imo. Apart from already in release Jumanji there wasn't competition and most movies are showing great holds. Nevertheless will agree that it could have potentially faded faster.

BOP has Doolittle doing $6.6m for a $63.899m total.  Even with Sonic coming out $80m looks likely, maybe even $85m.  So a 3.66 -3.89x off a holiday weekend is quite good even for a family film. For a movie with a 15% RT score it's rather extraordinary.

I wonder what's the leggiest wide release movie with a sub 20% RT score is?

The last Ice Age comes to mind. 18% with a 2.994

Edit:   Has to be a Christmas movie.  Assassins Creed even had  a 5x over Christmas.  So Christmas excluded.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

LOL you're not going to see the Harley Quinn film in theaters. You think they're going to give you more of these films now? LOL

I'm fine with that. Warner didn't even give us half the DC films they announced. I only really care about Aquaman and Wonder Woman anyway.

And hell, we were supposed to get Gotham City Sirens FIRST before they decided to skip over it with this.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I wonder what's the leggiest wide release movie with a sub 20% RT score is?

Emoji Movie had a 3.51x multi with a 7% RT score.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I'm fine with that. Warner didn't even give us half the DC films they announced. I only really care about Aquaman and Wonder Woman anyway.

Same. I'm trying to get excited for non-Nolan Batman but it's hard.

I also hope they don't do Joker sequel because I'm not sure they could  capture the lightning in the bottle again and I don't want anything to devalue Joaquin's iconic turn. 

Playmobil had 17% RT and had a matching matching 1.7x multi.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
Dec 6, 2019 14 $656,530   2,337 $281   $656,530 1
Dec 13, 2019 23 $143,735 -78% 1,458 $99   $966,458 2
Dec 20, 2019 35 $24,423 -83% 66 $370   $1,087,636 3
Dec 27, 2019 50 $5,668 -77% 25 $227   $1,100,824 4
Jan 3, 2020 50 $6,448 +14% 25 $258   $1,113,885 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Dolittle's been chugging along surprisingly strong. 

I mentioned yesterday somewhere that I think it's really drawing strongly in the under 12 and female all ages (3-103) category.  As I said when I saw it, it's a tight story that will make everyone happy...and that's great for legs...and it doesn't hurt to have RDJ...for those who complained about his contract, he is earning it, since many folks after open said it was certain to go under $60M...and now it seems certain for $80M+...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mentioned yesterday somewhere that I think it's really drawing strongly in the under 12 and female all ages (3-103) category.  As I said when I saw it, it's a tight story that will make everyone happy...and that's great for legs...and it doesn't hurt to have RDJ...for those who complained about his contract, he is earning it, since many folks after open said it was certain to go under $60M...and now it seems certain for $80M+...

Dolittle will actually do good in ancillary market. 

Not saying that this will become a hit but positive feedback from audience who watched it helps in ancillary. 

Many movies like Dolittle find a good life in streaming. Not a big failure overall. 

RDJ should do Sherlock Holmes movie next. People love him in that role. 

Sherlock Holmes 3 has potential do 800m+ WW. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This is so underrated. It's really marketing, and in many cases not even studio marketing, but media that insist something is woke, when it really isn't trying to be, cause that gives media clicks. And it works like a clock in the following scenario:

an unappealing looking movie that happens to be headlined by women and/or minorities flops

the main cause for floppage is unappealing previews

media condemns men or white audience for ignoring the movie due to sexism/racism even though women/minorities didn't bother with the trash looking flick (whether it's actually trash or not, it didn't look worth a penny in their eyes going by trailers, spots, etc which is how most people decide whether to watch something or not)

Media creates clickbait narrative that goes something like this "toxic [male, white] audience rebels against a woke movie" without caring for the fact that the movie was rejected by all demos 

Likewise, if a movie headlined by women and/or minorities succeeds, media pushes for clickbait narrative that it's the end of traditional [male, white] lead and that the only reason a movie succeeded is because it's woke.  There's usually no narrative of any kind when traditional lead movie either bombs or succeeds save /ourguy/ Scott's attempt to blame Solo bomb on the male hero :lol: 

And to give examples of this from just last year alone, Charlies Angels, Little Women and Book Smart.  No one showed up to Charlies Angels at all.  Little Women was still a big hit yet how many think pieces where there?  And it kind of was smart to keep audiences away from Book Smart because if more people saw that movie the WOM would have exposed it.

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Sequels that will be big hit if done properly :

National Treasure 3

Sherlock Holmes 3

Harry Potter 8

Twilight new movie. ( They can easily continue the story forward) 

Matrix 4 is more likely to be a hit than all of those. Sherlock 3 sounds like a bomb tbh