TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Peter Travers gave it 2/5, so it's a no for me. He's one of the few US critics I respect. Even Pete Hammond is barely positive and he usually loves everything.

Oh wow: this is a big yikes. I would never avoid a film based on someone else‘s opinion. 

I obviously like to make my own mind up lol.  

Entertainment is subjective and I have a far more unique tastes than the general public. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

This is a shame. I like Robbie, and would have liked to have seen this do well.

I guess the audience has a longer memory than some think. Suicide Squad was awful, and people haven’t forgotten that. BoP follows the aesthetic of that film way more than I thought it would.

I suppose if you’re going to consciously not market your film at the key demographic for comic book films, then it’s probably not a surprise if they don’t turn out for it.

A few weeks ago in the first demographics, males over 25 were most interested. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

A few weeks ago in the first demographics, males over 25 were most interested. 

But overall, if you're looking at pure "showing up numbers", even if they were most interested, many of the 25+ men in the normal "show up to comic movies" aren't showing up, either...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But overall, if you're looking at pure "showing up numbers", even if they were most interested, many of the 25+ men in the normal "show up to comic movies" aren't showing up, either...

Oh whoops I haven’t seen any demographics from last night yet, can you share? 

47 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

For those of you here who blame the marketing. What was so bad about it and how would you have changed it?

The trailers were bizarrely edited. They made the movie look like an awkward and choppy Suicide Squad sequel-ish that centered on Harley. Get the team that cut the SS trailers (which were awesome) to do the trailers for this, and if this was the same team, give them whatever they were on in 2016. More focus on the balls to the walls action and the beautiful cinematography, as well as the fact that this is the 1st live action female superhero team-up movie.

Also, put the movie out there! SS was EVERYWHERE. Birds Of Prey felt extremely lacking in presence. WB were lazy in their exposure of the movie. Not even a Super Bowl spot for a movie that released the week after SB. The amount of marketing for this resembled the shocking lack of push that Shazam had much more so than the massive pushes for most other DCEU films. Granted, no chance would this movie have the same hype as those, but still, at least try with your damn marketing.

And maybe don't title the movie "Birds Of Prey (And etc. etc.)" when it's very clear that it's a Harley movie featuring the Birds Of Prey. "Harley Quinn And The Birds Of Prey" would be a better and more marketable title. This is obviously not a big factor, but it always helps to have the most marketable title possible. Yeah, Harley is technically in the title, but the whole subtitle of the film is either a meme or a flat out ignore for most people.

Finally, DON'T LET GO OF THE REVIEW EMBARGO 2 DAYS BEFORE RELEASE. The moment you realized social media reactions were good, you should've pushed the embargo lift to Saturday/Sunday latest.

Some things were beyond control, like the fact that this was a SS spin-off. But still, could've turned out better.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh whoops I haven’t seen any demographics from last night yet, can you share? 

I don't have them yet...but we know preview numbers...and by preview vs Suicide Squad, even if men 25+ were 100% of the audience for BoP last night, they'd be under the amount that showed up to SS previews...

Now, some of that was expected...but it was an example that if 25+ men were the most interested demo 2 weeks ago for BoP, they just weren't as interested in this one as in other regular supers...at least not enough to show up in similar numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not even a Super Bowl spot for a movie that released the week after SB.

WB straight up REFUSES to do SB ads (even pre game) unless it's something sponsored like BvS/Turkish Airlines or WW84/Tide. 

I mean, I understand why, it's super expensive but you still have a point. It could've helped. I felt the same way about The Lego Movie 2 last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't have them yet...but we know preview numbers...and by preview vs Suicide Squad, even if men 25+ were 100% of the audience for BoP last night, they'd be under the amount that showed up to SS previews...

Now, some of that was expected...but it was an example that if 25+ men were the most interested demo 2 weeks ago, they just weren't as interested in this one as in other regular supers...at least not enough to show up in similar numbers...

Ah you just mean a lower audience number. Yeh I was never expecting anything close to SS. Plus, that film didn’t have a good reception. 

WB were expecting $45m according to Deadline and THR. So I think they knew it would be a smaller audience. Hence the smaller budget and smaller marketing spend. 

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh wow: this is a big yikes. I would never avoid a film based on someone else‘s opinion. 

I obviously like to make my own mind up lol.  

Entertainment is subjective and I have a far more unique tastes than the general public. 

I totally agree with you here and usually ignore other reviews if I'm interested in the film. But when I'm not really interested/sure, I'm looking for opinions of some folks I more or less trust to decide. I just don't trust RT no matter if it's positive or negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1