TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 hour ago, TMP said:

More likely sub-$300m dom total. WB's handling of the Wizarding World is on par with their handling of the Monsterverse 

Harry Potter isn't fantastic beasts 

HP cursed child that would be due in about 7 years give or take would absolutely crush it.

Can't wait to see the play in March!!!

Japan is nuts about HP. China would go cray, as would South Korea. British folks would cry and run screaming to the theater. Europe would go nuts.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mentioned yesterday somewhere that I think it's really drawing strongly in the under 12 and female all ages (3-103) category.  As I said when I saw it, it's a tight story that will make everyone happy...and that's great for legs...and it doesn't hurt to have RDJ...for those who complained about his contract, he is earning it, since many folks after open said it was certain to go under $60M...and now it seems certain for $80M+...

Whether you thought that it grosses $0, a $180,000,000 project grossing what Doolittle grosses is terrible. Better by comparison is not adequate.                                        

Edited by Glaciers
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Japan is nuts about HP. China would go cray, as would South Korea. British folks would cry and run screaming to the theater. Europe would go nuts.

I don't think any movie in history's elicited such a euphoric response, so you're setting up some high expectations haha

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

HP sequel with old cast would be absolutely gigantic. That's the level of nostalgia milking like TFA. it would demolish OS boxoffice. I agree that dom would probably top out somewhere in 300M maybe 400M but OS would go batshit insane.

I think it would go well over 400 million. 400 million is nowhere near as hard nowadays as it was back then. Question is would this hypothetical movie be based on an 8th HP book. That would definitely have some impact on performance, as if the story was movie-only then pretty much all HP fans would be compelled to go to the theater.

Edited by Menor

Harry Potter sequel with original cast would definitely be huge regardless of FB. Probably 400m domestic and overseas it will be their Force Awakens. A billion overseas minimum

Matrix 4 could be a mini Jurassic World. The first film is one of the most beloved and fondly remembered films ever honestly and if it is good, it will do really well

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don't think any movie in history's elicited such a euphoric response, so you're setting up some high expectations haha

For that specific film should all of them return yes I would suspect a minimum of 1.5B

They won't screw it up hardcore like BOP and HP is bigger than most DC stuff, certainly the smaller IPs like BOP

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think it would go well over 400 million. 400 million is nowhere near as hard nowadays as it was back then. Question is would this hypothetical movie be based on an 8th HP book. That would definitely have some impact on performance, as if the story was movie-only then pretty much all HP fans would be compelled to go to the theater.

600 domestic, 1.2 OS my guess

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

good point. 

Since Hp had a tendency to almost triple its OS take, 400x 3 = 1.2 billion OS. I think it could go higher OS.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Matrix 4 could be a mini Jurassic World. The first film is one of the most beloved and fondly remembered films ever honestly and if it is good, it will do really well

Yeah but with World it was cashing the nostalgia of the first Park; it sounds like M4trix is gonna take the poorly received sequels into account too

Spoiler

I think the parts where the movie is trying to be genuinely uncomfortable like that scene where Sionis cuts up the woman's dress and forces her to dance was done in a way where enough is shown to make the audience uncomfortable but on the other hand, it's restrained enough that it doesn't feel exploitative.

51 minutes ago, Eric Sionis said:

I honestly wish it went a bit darker and more uncomfortable. People were saying it was going to have some intense violence, but even the most violent moments felt weirdly tame. Maybe I just expected too much, maybe I'm too desensitized, I dunno

I didn't find the violence to be bad either. I think the stuff that was dark was implied (mostly to do with rape) and also the scene I talk about in the spoiler box above (for some reason it's always placed at the top on mobile website).

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah but with World it was cashing the nostalgia of the first Park; it sounds like M4trix is gonna take the poorly received sequels into account too

Looking forward to a character in Matrix 4 wearing a t-shirt with the logo of the first film...

• Haha 1