TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

On 2/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, cdsacken said:

Man of Steel was good, action was choppy, father scene was idiotic, and murder scene crushed it. Fix through 3 things and it's A. B+ for me and that's being super generous.

I agree it's a B,but do not agree about the Murder scene , if you are talking a bout Superman Killing Zod, since Superman had no choice. Either Kill Zod or let Zod kill  a bunch of innocent civilians.

Agree that the father scene was idiotic, and some of the action was chopply. Also felt Snyder overdid the "Supes moping around and feeling Sorry for himself " angle.

I hoped, from the last few minutes of the film, that Snyder had move beyond and would give us a more cheerful,hopeful Supes in the next film, instead the moping got even worse in BVS,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Man this movie is doing so bad that we’re talking about WB using literally its biggest round in the chamber to feel better. 

Not really. We're talking about the potential of several sequels - HP8 I think is the obvious choice as the one with the biggest potential. It's just an interesting thing to discuss, given the lack of anything interesting at the box office (this movie is such a non-event, even its underperformance is uninteresting)

I saw it, loved it, but could see why it might not appeal to a wide audience.

But long ago I got used to the idea that sometimes films you really like  flop at the box office. That's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Sequels that will be big hit if done properly :

National Treasure 3

Sherlock Holmes 3

Harry Potter 8

Twilight new movie. ( They can easily continue the story forward) 

I don't know a single Harry Potter fan that enjoyed The Cursed Child. Like it's almost universally despised in the Potter fandom.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But long ago I got used to the idea that sometimes films you really like  flop at the box office. That's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Yeah, I remember how bummed the box office for Edge of Tomorrow and Blade Runner 2049 made me that I just thought it was best not to get too invested in this stuff if it doesn't do that well. I still have movies that I appreciate a lot like those two and Dr. Sleep even if the general public didn't show up for it. BR 2049 especially, might be my favorite big budget film of that decade outside of Fury Road

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Not really. We're talking about the potential of several sequels - HP8 I think is the obvious choice as the one with the biggest potential. It's just an interesting thing to discuss, given the lack of anything interesting at the box office (this movie is such a non-event, even its underperformance is uninteresting)

They need to do a complete rewrite cause The Cursed Child is massively controversial, did not sell well compared to the other novels, and was very poorly written.

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I agree it's a B,but do not agree about the Murder scene , if you are talking a bout Superman Killing Zod, since Superman had no choice. Either Kill Zod or let Zod kill  a bunch of innocent civilians.

Agree that the father scene was idiotic, and some of the action was chopply. Also felt Snyder overdid the "Supes moping around and feeling Sorry for himself " angle.

I hoped, from the last few minutes of the film, that Snyder had move beyond and would give us a more cheerful,hopeful Supes in the next film, instead the moping got even worse in BVS,

I just wish that scene never existed. Bad scene to put. Synder decided he knew what the character was about and erased decades of him in an instant. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

They need to do a complete rewrite cause The Cursed Child is massively controversial, did not sell well compared to the other novels, and was very poorly written.

Yes they would need to fix a play that wasn't designed as a book. They would need to expand it, and fix several issues but it's plausible. It would take a lot and be worth it.

Edited by cdsacken

18 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Tbf, I honestly wouldn't make it a big deal either but I've seen the movie used as a franchise war thing on r/boxoffice. It's hard to forget about it when so many upvoted comments says "BoP sucks and had the worst performance in this history of movies" just to start a fan war. But I realised how toxic that place actually is and rarely go there since those kinds of posts started coming out. Waste of time to argue with those trolls. This meme pretty much summarises how much of a toxic place it is when a superhero movie releases: 

hcukv65hnpf41.png

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, I remember how bummed the box office for Edge of Tomorrow and Blade Runner 2049 made me that I just thought it was best not to get too invested in this stuff if it doesn't do that well. I still have movies that I appreciate a lot like those two and Dr. Sleep even if the general public didn't show up for it. BR 2049 especially, might be my favorite big budget film of that decade outside of Fury Road

My biggest dissapointment was when "Master And Commander", despite all the critical praise and award nominations, failed at the box office. I would have loved to have seen a whole series of Aubery/Marutin movies based on the Patrick O Brien novels. But that's life...

And you are right:Don't become to emotionally involved with this stuff. It's fun to talk about, yes, and fun to follow movies,but if you go into a depression because a filmed flopped that is stupid. (Unless of, course, you are a share holder in the studio's stock..)

• Like 4

I really liked BoP but I understand why it didn’t catch on. I wonder if WB would have considered it as a HBO Max film if it had been green lit later. 

DC will be fine, it just shows that the brand performs more like studios like DreamWorks where you have a mix of hits and misses rather than the consistency of a Pixar or a Marvel Studios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Edge of Tomorrow was a great movie totally undone by awful marketing. BR2049 was a good movie that did about as well as it should have done, but was saddled with huge expectations and budget. People forget that the original BR was a totally BO flop and is atmospheric but really, really slow moving.

Just now, Wrath said:

Edge of Tomorrow was a great movie totally undone by awful marketing. BR2049 was a good movie that did about as well as it should have done, but was saddled with huge expectations and budget. People forget that the original BR was a totally BO flop and is atmospheric but really, really slow moving.

BR2049 was great but Alcon overspent on it and it hurt them financially. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I really liked BoP but I understand why it didn’t catch on. I wonder if WB would have considered it as a HBO Max film if it had been green lit later. 

I doubt it, think Robbie's heavy participation in it alone would've guaranteed it a theatrical release.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I doubt it, think Robbie's heavy participation in it alone would've guaranteed it a theatrical release.

True but given that Disney+ has Loki, WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I wonder if that could be the way forward for WB on certain DC projects and also provide more content for HBO Max. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I just wish that scene never existed. Bad scene to put. Synder decided he knew what the character was about and erased decades of him in an instant. 

I actually agree with you, that scene shoud not have been in the film, but in the context of the screen Supes actions were totally justfied..like a cop killing a crazed shooter.

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DC will be fine, it just shows that the brand performs more like studios like DreamWorks where you have a mix of hits and misses rather than the consistency of a Pixar or a Marvel Studios. 

Not unless they dropped Robbie as Harley and made atotally different movie.Robbie is not interested in doing TV at the moment.

And BOP was tried as a TV show a few years ago.Was not a sucess then, either.

Edited by dudalb