TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Since we're speaking about personal BO disappointments I still get sad at how badly Winnie the Pooh did. Effectively the last of the Disney Animation 2D films.

Harry Potter 9 would be close to a $2 Billion hit IMO unless they used the Cursed Child as the basis for the story.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Since we're speaking about personal BO disappointments I still get sad at how badly Winnie the Pooh did. Effectively the last of the Disney Animation 2D films.

It's not like Disney gave it much of a chance by dumping it in sub-2,500 theaters the week the last Potter movie came out and months after it was out in other markets.

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

I think that's overly-simplistic.

Almost half of Deadpool's OW was under-25. The rating obviously didn't impact it there. There is an audience for R rated superhero pics as has been demonstrated repeatedly.

This was a combination of issues. The movie wasn't marketed as R rated - because the product itself was barely R except unnecessary swearing - in the same way that Deadpool was. The kinds of moviegoers that were hooked by Deadpool's marketing had nothing offered to them for this. On top of that, yes, there is the issue that people who might have been interested are younger and they screwed themselves. 

At the end of the day, though, the big issue is that WB was unclear as to what they wanted to make and tbh, I think a bit more studio interference would not have hurt it. If you're going R, go full R, market it as such and try and grab people that might not otherwise be interested in these unknown characters, in a movie that seems to have no big set pieces, humor, violence, etc (judging by the trailers they actually put out).

Or, yes, go PG-13 and appeal more to kids. But I think that is still limited, due to the lack of popularity of these characters. PG-13 would have truly made a difference if there were an actual Joker or Batman presence. Hell, even a Nightwing. Anything with the Bat family.

In the end, what it boils down to is that no one gave a shit about this movie and a PG-13 rating would not have made that big a difference (maybe a few million, sure, but unlikely to turn this into a success).

I think WB's commitment to actors and directors occasionally does bite them on the bum, they clearly wanted a Harley Quinn movie and was likely swayed by Margot Robbie's pitch for BOP. 

That being said, I imagine Warner Bros won't be deterred doing another R rated DC film, they have to be a bit more selective. I already mentioned Lobo but perhaps instead of Michael Bay, they could go for Chad Stahelski as he was involved in the BOP reshoots or the Bad Boys For Life directors Adil & Bilall

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

wow, now we start saying excuses,  that the rating was the problem, i mean its not like we have see comicbook movies be successfull when they are r rated eh ? , guy stop this, the answer is simple, the general audiences just didnt care about the movie, and didnt find it intresting , the rating wasnt the problem, i mean , do you expect that if bop was pg 13, it would have made  60 mill ow ? no , it could be higher than 33, but not that much , as deadpool, logan,joker, and other r rated movies have proved, if people like what they see , they will check the movie, if not well , and the problem with bop, its not even harley or the characters themselves ,   its more of the fact, that it wasnt intresting

• Like 1

It’s insane to look at how much last Sunday impacted the box office with Super Bowl just about half of the holdovers this Sunday increased!

Also neat to see the Award Nominated films this year make over $30 million! Parasite will make over $40-$45 million or so. Knives Out close to $160 million and still hanging on to the top 10! Little Women well past $100 million. 

Bad Boys For Life still our crazy box office success story of the year! However, it’s a shame that Harley Quinn isn’t doing so well. WB has been kind of shaky for the past few months. 

the R rating wasn’t a problem for Harley Quinn Just the fact that people walked out of Suicide Squad pissed. Now if this was a spin-off to Joker yeah I could see this be like an Alice 1 to Alice 2 drop off. But probably $85-$90 million doesn’t seem surprising for Harley 

Edited by Maxmoser3

I'm not ready to declare the sky is falling for BoP. I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but Glass looks like a solid comp for BoP. It opened to 89.5m WW with 48m internationally (with a similar performance in similar markets (slow burn Europe and LatAm leading). Obviously Glass opened a little higher domestically, but it opened on MLK weekend and Harley gets the holiday boost next weekend. Anyways, even with mediocre WOM, Glass legged it out to 135m internationally (2.8x multiplier) and 250M WW. BoP gets a holiday boost across Europe in the coming weeks, also faces pretty low competition, and if more women come out to see it, I think solid legs are certainly in the cards (it also doesnt rely on a lot of the fast-burn markets many other CBM movies do, I think even 3x+ legs internationally is feasible). We won't know until next week, but I think 250m+ is still very achievable. That'll at least get the movie in the black, which together with the movie's solid reviews can, I think, still be construed as a win. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I ever expected BoP (a movie that bars the audience who likes it most from entering the cinema) would gross something like Shazam, a well-liked fourquad SH film. If you accept that CBM movies have just totally screwed our BO expectations, BoP's box office has a reasonable shot at not being that bad after all (especially in hindsight with some of the factors working against it)

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

WB got lucky with how crazy Joker did. Not so much with BOP or Shazam.

I loathed Joker, great acting but dear god so depressing and relentless. That struck a chord with so many though, an undeniable amazing success. BOP has clearly not. It's a film that most seem to like if they muster the energy to see it. That group appears to be very small.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

7 hours ago, john2000 said:

wow, now we start saying excuses,  that the rating was the problem, i mean its not like we have see comicbook movies be successfull when they are r rated eh ? , guy stop this, the answer is simple, the general audiences just didnt care about the movie, and didnt find it intresting , the rating wasnt the problem, i mean , do you expect that if bop was pg 13, it would have made  60 mill ow ? no , it could be higher than 33, but not that much , as deadpool, logan,joker, and other r rated movies have proved, if people like what they see , they will check the movie, if not well , and the problem with bop, its not even harley or the characters themselves ,   its more of the fact, that it wasnt intresting

Bingo!

• Like 1

Birds of Prey                 7.85
Bad Boys for Life                 3.47
1917                 2.66
Dolittle                 1.93
Jumanji: The Next Level                 1.60
The Gentlemen                 1.11
Gretel And Hansel                 0.95
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker                 0.71
Little Women                 0.64
Knives Out                 0.56
Frozen 2                 0.46
Parasite                 0.44
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

@MCKillswitch123 Big opening for Birds of Prey, above what Shazam and Wonder Woman opened with. 2020 continues to rule.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_6_a_9_fevereiro_2020_316705e41450bf3384.pdf

Fantastic holds for 1917, Little Woman and Jojo Rabbit. Bad Boys also keeps going strong. Amazing totals for 1917 and Bad Boys.

• Astonished 2

I stand by a Shrek 5 opening to $200M+ OW, it’s like one of the most loved movies for 2000s kids like The Incredibles. Sure there’s been two bad/meh sequels but both Shrek 1 and 2 are loved.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Big opening for Birds of Prey, above what Shazam and Wonder Woman opened with. 2020 continues to rule.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_6_a_9_fevereiro_2020_316705e41450bf3384.pdf

Fantastic holds for 1917, Little Woman and Jojo Rabbit. Bad Boys also keeps going strong. Amazing totals for 1917 and Bad Boys.

Sonic is going to blow the fuck up this week :ohmygod:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Damn, Portugal got good taste...