TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Suicide Squad OW will also be on lower side. 

Will Smith, Joker and Batman were the main hype of Suicide Squad. 

James Gunn is good director. SS2 is going to be a good movie. 

WOM will take care of the legs. SS2 can easily do around Gotg numbers if it's good. 

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

“Those 13-17 year olds who were able to buy a ticket really loved it at 94% but they only made up 7% of the audience.”

Boom. There’s the only answer. 

They advertised it to young audiences but made it R. 

Chances WB steps in and changes SS2 to PG13?

Also. Have we heard anything in regards to the budget yet?

Just now, DlAMONDZ said:

Incredibly low unless they reshoot it heavily, and considering their new thing is being "director driven" I feel like that's unlikely

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Suicide Squad OW will also be on lower side. 

Will Smith, Joker and Batman were the main hype of Suicide Squad. 

James Gunn is good director. SS2 is going to be a good movie. 

WOM will take care of the legs. SS2 can easily do around Gotg numbers if it's good. 

SS2 has nothing going for it. It'll be lucky to make half of SS1

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Doesn't seem like a lot of women showed up for Thursday night preview. Low previews make sense since even the core DC fanbase wasn't satisfied with this movie. 

Satisfaction implies they watched it. Did you mean they didn't support it?

Going for young females, but making it R so they can’t see it is the main reason. 

Seems to be confirmed in Deadline’s article. They loved it the most (94%) but the ones who got tickets could only make up 7% of the audience. 

Maybe the 4 star exit polls are good news for legs and Valentine’s Day/ holiday weekend could help it eventually go over $100m. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's so frustrating. Shazam was too dark for it's audience, marketed as a kids film but really more adult content. 

BOP besides a bit too much violence would have played great with teenagers. Argh! I wish we had some sort of rating in between oh PG-13.

12+, 15+ and then 18+

• Like 1

Huh? Why would anyone - including the studio - jump to the conclusion that it's the R rating that was the issue, especially considering what they just achieved with Joker? The issue here was marketing and lack of interest from audiences, regardless of rating. Robbie as Harley is great, but with shite marketing and nothing else to add to the weight of the movie (i.e. Batman or other instantly-recognizable characters), well...here we are.

There's a lot that WB might want to do with SS2, but deciding on the rating based solely on this is probably at the bottom of the list, I feel...

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Going for young females, but making it R so they can’t see it is the main reason. 

Seems to be confirmed in Deadline’s article. They loved it the most (94%) but the ones who got tickets could only make up 7% of the audience. 

Maybe the 4 star exit polls are good news for legs and Valentine’s Day/ holiday weekend could help it eventually go over $100m. 

It is hard to imagine older women wanting to watch it. Maybe if they put Chris Pratt in somewhere. 

8 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Also. Have we heard anything in regards to the budget yet?

Gunn said it wrote the movie with an R-rating in mind. I don't see WB forcing him to rewrite and reshooting the movie to make it PG-13. Last thing we need to hear being rumored by Youtube lady is "WB forcing James Gunn to rewrite SS2 to make it PG-13 after BOP BO disaster". 

Hopefully, BOP can go on to have a respectable run at the box office. I don’t think it lacked marketing. I do think the trailers were $hit. Judging by the critic and fan reaction, it is a good movie, but the trailers did not make it look so. 

In any event, this is another notch in DC’s belt as far as critical acclaim. I don’t think people can go around trashing DC for making bad films any more. They have churned out some solid films the past two years. Now, they have to figure out their own model to build their brand to where their C characters can have true breakout movies. 

I think this lost the comic book fans. I was just talking with a girl who is a big fan of comic's Black Canary and she is very adamant that Batgirl is the one who should have been in Harley's place, and Harley should have been the sympathetic villain. Idk

• Like 2

not sure how many would agree with this but I think the biggest problem with the marketing is that they approached how to market this movie from the wrong way. They assumed people would want to see it anyways (and why wouldn't they, CBM's have a mostly excellent track record at the box office, especially if they're good). 

The marketing assumed people were already on board, rather than "we need to MAKE people be on board". The trailers felt pretty isolating for people who weren't already fully on board with the characters/tone/DCEU. It didn't do anything to sway the on-the-fencers, and I think that's reflecting in the numbers. WOM seems to be good, I think it can recover somewhat, but I would blame the marketing team for this one rather than the people who actually made the movie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Huh? Why would anyone - including the studio - jump to the conclusion that it's the R rating that was the issue, especially considering what they just achieved with Joker? The issue here was marketing and lack of interest from audiences, regardless of rating. Robbie as Harley is great, but with shite marketing and nothing else to add to the wight of the movie (i.e. Batman or other instantly-recognizable characters), well...here we are.

There's a lot that WB might want to do with SS2, but deciding on the rating based solely on this is probably at the bottom of the list, I feel...

R rating

Bad marketing /trailers

Too woke

Ewan is BO poison 

Females do not want to see female action films

Spinoff of SS

Looked cheap, not must see