Eric Atreides

***PLEASE READ***Why the Fanboy Wars Thread is Locked: New Rules are being TESTED ***PLEASE READ***

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Fantastic to see this, IMO. 👍

===

Folks can disagree, even passionately, without being rude.  That's it.  Don't be rude.  Don't be unpleasant.  And for fucks sake, don't troll.

It's really not that hard to do.  

And if you find you MUST talk about how you feel about certain critics/film franchises/studios and can only do it in a way that isn't welcome here?  Well plenty of other places to talk on the net.  I hear reddit is making something of a comeback, for instance.

That’s the problem with your dogmatic view, you think anything that doesn’t match up with your view is ‘rude’ ‘unpleasant’ ‘trolling’! To quote a comedian, just because you are offended doesn’t mean you are right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I mean If you want to stifle people’s opinions of a ‘effin’ movie be my guest but watch your forum crash and burn harder than solo

What is wrong with you? I said posting your opinion of a movie is fine. But it's okay for people to enjoy a movie you don't like and to hate a movie you like. 

This is a box office site. Not a "my movie franchise is the best" site.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Water Bottle said:

What is wrong with you? I said posting your opinion of a movie is fine. But it's okay for people to enjoy a movie you don't like and to hate a movie you like. 

This is a box office site. Not a "my movie franchise is the best" site.

If it’s ok for people to hate a movie you like why are you getting rid of a thread for that reason? It’s a bizarre angle you guys are trying to play 

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, VENOM said:

That’s the problem with your dogmatic view, you think anything that doesn’t match up with your view is ‘rude’ ‘unpleasant’ ‘trolling’! To quote a comedian, just because you are offended doesn’t mean you are right. 

You might have missed this bit in my post.  Let me highlight it for you.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Folks can disagree, even passionately, without being rude.  That's it.  Don't be rude.  Don't be unpleasant.  And for fucks sake, don't troll.

It's really not that hard to do. 

Also, speaking as an Admin on another site I am VERY used to allowing points of view that I vehemently disagree with.  Just don't be rude or trollish about it is all I want to see. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Community Manager
1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Smells like typical censorship. Just talk like a robot, be always happy about everything, have no personality, don't have an opinion different from others. Honestly this forum was far from toxic, even Fanboy Wars thread was rarely toxic, no reason to make it all even more strict, that's just not healthy.

I was threadbanned from BoP thread when I said it'll get at least 80+% on RT no matter if it's good or bad. Well, it got 80+% and I don't see much excitement about it.

It's been toxic for a lot of people. It's not about being a robot. It's about not being a dick. Amazing how you equate having a personality with having to upset people. 

We used to have great box office discussions before that didn't evolve so much franchise baiting. I think we can again. If that doesn't interest you well this is a box office site. 

• Like 11

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

If it’s ok for people to hate a movie you like why are you getting rid of a thread for that reason? It’s a bizarre angle you guys are trying to play 

Cause all it was doing is splitting up users against other users. People accuse staff of being biased based on their movie tastes. It's ridiculous.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You might have missed this bit in my post.  Let me highlight it for you.

Also, speaking as an Admin on another site I am VERY used to allowing points of view that I vehemently disagree with.  Just don't be rude or trollish about it is all I want to see. :)

You are trying to be the judge of something you are invested in yourself, what could possibly go wrong..

• Astonished 1

Just now, VENOM said:

You are trying to be the judge of something you are invested in yourself, what could possibly go wrong..

Am I?  Currently not on Staff here last time I checked.  And the site I'm an Admin of isn't a SW one. ;)

(not that it matters, but I do tend to pride myself in making sure I remove my own emotions when it comes to modding and/or seeking second and third opinions when it IS something I'm emotionally invested in)

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Cause all it was doing is splitting up users against other users. People accuse staff of being biased based on their movie tastes. It's ridiculous.

If you want to stop being accused of anything let it be a free for all on all movies or you could just become irrelevant and only allow PC comments that paint a pretty picture but don’t show what people really think.. I don’t care what you decide since I can live without this place now I see the mindset of the people running things, plenty of other places will give the people the freedom to express them selves, a lot of people have already jumped ship

• Astonished 1

• Community Manager
Just now, VENOM said:

If you want to stop being accused of anything let it be a free for all on all movies or you could just become irrelevant and only allow PC comments that paint a pretty picture but don’t show what people really think.. I don’t care what you decide since I can live without this place now I see the mindset of the people running things, plenty of other places will give the people the freedom to express them selves, a lot of people have already jumped ship

Great. It's time BOT said goodbye to trolls. Have fun in those other sites.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Am I?  Currently not on Staff here last time I checked.  And the site I'm an Admin of isn't a SW one. ;)

(not that it matters, but I do tend to pride myself in making sure I remove my own emotions when it comes to modding and/or seeking second and third opinions when it IS something I'm emotionally invested in)

Even if I believed that speech it wouldn’t mean much because one person who was impartial wouldn’t be able to run this site, so the better option is just go elsewhere where it isn’t a problem

20 minutes ago, VENOM said:

There's a difference between "I hate Batman v Superman" (which I do) and "I hate people who like Batman v Superman" (which I don't). You can be passionate, biased, and expressive of your opinions on movies without insulting or putting down the people who have different viewpoints. 

As for being PC, I think you are misunderstanding what PC is. When I come on this site, as I have since I was in middle school, of course I expect the people I interact with to not throw around insults about another user's race/gender/religion/age etc. I really do not care what you believe at home or when you're not on these forums (take me and JB33 for example; we have very very different views on many things, but our rapport on these forums has been very civil. Do I have some issues with the ways he has expressed his views? Sure, and I've called him out for it, and I'm sure he disagrees with a lot of the things I believe, but that doesn't matter on a forum dedicated to box office! But we have one thing in common: we both like movies. And that is what this site is all about). So I don't understand how "PC" comes into a conversation about how people discuss movies with one another. 

• Like 12

The problem is how you define trolling. A definition listed in this thread is as follows:

"will people get mad if I post this?" If you think they will, then don't post it, or face the wrath of the staff.

I frequently argued in the BoP thread, mainly at the times of the first and second trailer, that BoP was fighting a large uphill battle due to lingering resentment at Suicide Squad, an unnecessary R rating, incoherently edited trailers, visually obnoxious posters, a style over substance storytelling approach, releasing the second trailer less than a month before release, the general lack of awareness/care about the Birds of Prey brand, the lack of advanced screenings, a marketing campaign that didn't give audiences a relatable surrogate, and more. 

Guess what? It all bore true.

And several people didn't like what I was saying. Some people got mad, and claimed I couldn't be objective because I had some kind of bias. Ok. I got into arguments because people couldn't accept what I had to say. Does holding firm on your stance make you a troll?

So subjectivity doesn't work here.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The problem is how you define trolling. A definition listed in this thread is as follows:

I frequently argued in the BoP thread, mainly at the times of the first and second trailer, that BoP was fighting a large uphill battle due to lingering resentment at Suicide Squad, an unnecessary R rating, incoherently edited trailers, visually obnoxious posters, a style over substance storytelling approach, releasing the second trailer less than a month before release, the general lack of awareness/care about the Birds of Prey brand, the lack of advanced screenings, a marketing campaign that didn't give audiences a relatable surrogate, and more. 

Guess what? It all bore true.

And several people didn't like what I was saying. Some people got mad, and claimed I couldn't be objective because I had some kind of bias. Ok. I got into arguments because people couldn't accept what I had to say. Does holding firm on your stance make you a troll?

So subjectivity doesn't work here.

There have already been posts acknowledging that the quoted definition is (too?) broad. The way I look at it, "will reasonable people get mad" is a better, but still problematically subjective, way of looking at it. 

"BoP looks awful and will bomb"... yea, you're gonna get some NotCool reactions or some dumb replies by fans who can't understand that other people have differing views. But if they're harassing you, they're the ones who are trolling, not you. I myself said many times (and you can find my posts) that I thought the BoP marketing sucked and that the movie didn't look all that appealing. Did any reasonable user on these forums get mad at me? No, because I made it clear that my focus was on how the movie failed to seem appealing. I didn't go full-troll and start saying stuff like "Margo Robbie is a hack, WB should never have given her the role" 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There's a difference between "I hate Batman v Superman" (which I do) and "I hate people who like Batman v Superman" (which I don't). You can be passionate, biased, and expressive of your opinions on movies without insulting or putting down the people who have different viewpoints. 

As for being PC, I think you are misunderstanding what PC is. When I come on this site, as I have since I was in middle school, of course I expect the people I interact with to not throw around insults about another user's race/gender/religion/age etc. I really do not care what you believe at home or when you're not on these forums (take me and JB33 for example; we have very very different views on many things, but our rapport on these forums has been very civil. Do I have some issues with the ways he has expressed his views? Sure, and I've called him out for it, and I'm sure he disagrees with a lot of the things I believe, but that doesn't matter on a forum dedicated to box office! But we have one thing in common: we both like movies. And that is what this site is all about). So I don't understand how "PC" comes into a conversation about how people discuss movies with one another. 

DAJK, Nobody threw around comments about race or gender so throw that out your straw man argument. Now if we move on to movies, after all, that’s where this all went sour, everyone should be able to express their resentment for any poorly made movie whether it’s from Disney, MCU or Lucas film but shouldn’t have to face bans because it hit a home run against those opposing fans. 

6 minutes ago, VENOM said:

DAJK, Nobody threw around comments about race or gender so throw that out your straw man argument. Now if we move on to movies, after all, that’s where this all went sour, everyone should be able to express their resentment for any poorly made movie whether it’s from Disney, MCU or Lucas film but shouldn’t have to face bans because it hit a home run against those opposing fans. 

You were the one who brought up PC. I don't want to start a debate in this thread, so I could PM you and continue this convo :) 

56 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Uhh, I mean... some of them are though. Probably all of them. As long as it’s to a very small degree I don’t think anything needs to be done about it, but trying to pretend that all the mods are robots seems unrealistic.