Jump to content
Eric Atreides

***PLEASE READ***Why the Fanboy Wars Thread is Locked: New Rules are being TESTED ***PLEASE READ***

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its decisively gotten worse over time since the threads creation. For those of us that have been here since day 1 this is a very different forum (and not necessarily for the better.) 

Part of the issue is the fact that franchises have become king, the other factor is that the worst of internet behavior wraps itself up in the franchise crap and they are not happy keeping it in the one spot. 

Not sure what more the mods can do at this point and my ignore list has gotten ridiculous the last year or so. 🤷‍♂️

How about you stop reading the thread you are complaining about and stick to something you can handle?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just autoban people who show up on too many ignore lists ;)  

 

Spoiler

Not a real suggestion.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't see how cracking down on the "franchise war" thread is helpful.

 

It's the one place you could vent unpopular opinions regarding franchises.

 

Now that's gone and those unpopular opinions are expected to simply disappear?

 

Also there's zero proof the the franchise war thread contributed to more geek debates more than the influx of geek properties in Hollywood.

 

Edited by grey ghost

Share this post


Link to post

These steps should’ve been taken when IMDB closed and the stans flooded in but hey better late than never. If this leads to the death of the toxicity that’s plagued this boards recently, I fail to see how it’s a bad thing. All it does is kill the toxic stans quicker and the ones who can change get better. It’s a win-win.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

A couple points:


1: If people choose to engage with me, why am I liable? It’s not like I went to the thread to talk to myself. I make a point. Someone disagrees. We make our cases. That’s how message boards work. Should we also say that people can’t repeat their positive points about a film? They can only say what they like once or twice and then never again? Or is it just negativity that gets tiresome, even if it’s accurate (as we see today)?

 

 

2: I am providing an example of a very broad and subjective interpretation of trolling. Other users in this thread have also provided examples of subjectively unjust trolling accusations under the provided definition.

 

3: I like talking about the industry. About marketing. About production. Tracking. Reshoots. Comparisons to other films. All of it. I don’t have to like a film to like talking about a film. Are we required to like a film to discuss it?

 

Well that's part of it. I'm not here to define what is trolling and what isn't, but the constant negativity is at the very least tiresome. It's not about you can only voice your opinion, negative or otherwise, once or twice, it's about knowing when you've made your point and are just beating a dead horse. You see it all the time, in every Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Harry Potter/Crash Bandicoot/Whatever thread, people just making the same points over and over for pages on end. If it gets to the point where your post boils down to "I've explained why you're wrong for X, Y and Z reasons and you still don't agree with me! So now let me explain again..." Just move on. Dedicate your energy elsewhere. I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I don't see how cracking down on the "franchise war" thread is helpful.

 

It's the one place you could vent unpopular opinions regarding franchises.

 

Now that's gone and those unpopular opinions are expected to simply disappear.

 

Also there's zero proof the the franchise war thread contributed to more geek debates more than the influx of geek properties in Hollywood.

No one is saying to not discuss unpopular positions. The problem is in my time lurking here, people are not very good at doing so without being a complete a** about it. It’s very obvious. That’s the part they’re trying to curb here

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

No one is saying to not discuss unpopular positions. The problem is in my time lurking here, people are not very good at doing so without being a complete a** about it. It’s very obvious. That’s the part they’re trying to curb here

Then shouldn't the rules be against being rude rather than some vague application towards fanboys?

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, VENOM said:

How about you stop reading the thread you are complaining about and stick to something you can handle?

Case in point of the behavior my post noted.... 😂 I dont read that dadgum thread as its a waste of my time. My point that you so conveniently avoided was that the users there cant figure out how to keep that behavior there where it belongs. If they would have behaved this wouldnt even be a point of conversation. 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Then shouldn't the rules be against being rude rather than some vague application towards fanboys?

It’s called fanboy WARS. The slippery slope was already being started. Perhaps In the future they can relook into something similar, but there has been enough abuse for the mods to make the call at this point

Share this post


Link to post

So basically mods giving out strikes at whim based on opinions. K.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post

lmao at the people thinking the mods are giving out strikes "based on opinions". If people can't tell the difference between poisoning the well and having an opinion, they need to enroll in Internet 101

  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

It’s called fanboy WARS. The slippery slope was already being started. Perhaps In the future they can relook into something similar, but there has been enough abuse for the mods to make the call at this point

I think the vagueness of the rules is resulting in innocent people being punished.

 

Now after complaints about this they announce they're going to be more strict towards fanboy discussions.

 

So they're doubling down on going after innocent people.

 

Just punish people who are rude, not necessarily people with controversial opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

lmao at the people thinking the mods are giving out strikes "based on opinions". If people can't tell the difference between poisoning the well and having an opinion, they need to enroll in Internet 101

 

Numerous people have given examples of unfair strikes in this thread.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DAJK said:

lmao at the people thinking the mods are giving out strikes "based on opinions". If people can't tell the difference between poisoning the well and having an opinion, they need to enroll in Internet 101

It doesn't help if a staff member ignores (numerous) requests for an explanation on their decision. If a staff member doesn't want to explain their decision making, than I (or someone else) can't help but wonder if opinion plays a role.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

I think the vagueness of the rules is resulting in innocent people being punished.

 

Now after complaints about this they announce they're going to be more strict towards fanboy discussions.

 

So they're doubling down on going after innocent people.

 

Just punish people who are rude, not necessarily people with controversial opinions.

That's...what we're doing. Sorry for my accidental vagueness, but please know we aren't punishing people with controversial opinions. Just don't be a dick about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

An example of the vagueness, as someone else pointed out, is as follows:

 

You're allowed to have unpopular opinions but think before you say something whether it will upset someone. (Paraphrasing) 

 

Of course an unpopular opinion will upset someone. People will complain about anything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

Numerous people have given examples of unfair strikes in this thread.

 

I rarely hear any appeals from any users. If you feel a strike is unfair, you can appeal it. I discuss it with the whole staff. If most of all of us agree it's unfair then we do rescind strikes. The staff is not monotholic. Heck, there was a lot of discussion about whether or not to close the franchise wars thread. We are all individuals and unless you become super specific with rules (which isn't necessarily a good thing), there is some subjectivity. 

 

If your innocent bring it up to me as an appeal. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

In general we are at a point that removing the implicit subjectivity and making it explicit will make a lot of difference.

 

Yes unpopular/controversial opinion can upset people, outside pedophilia unpopular taste will really rarely do such things.

 

If you didn't like something it is easy to say that you didn't like something, without having to infer that it is necessarily bad just because you didn't like it. That said, you can find something bad (and disliked it), say suicide Squad had bad editing choice, over compensation with a too on the nose soundtrack, even then it must rare for such element to create much strong bad emotion among other.

Share this post


Link to post

What the mods consider trolling usually amounts to "insufficient positivity" though. This will ultimately be a crackdown on criticism that isn't soft enough for everyone to like.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.