The Wild Eric

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I hope American film studios soak in this message: if they want to achieve Best Picture wins, they're gonna have to try harder than they are currently. It's time for Hollywood to believe in themselves and make better movies. Either that or foreign films might render Hollywood unnecessary on the prestige front.

Come now.... last year they gave Best Pic to Green Book.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Netflix in shambles.

Image result for irishman fight scene gif

I'm not even getting my hopes up for the BCoops as Leonard Bernstein thing. Even before it was Netflix, I was just "whatever" about it and I stan. Bradley, just take a hiatus from acting and go do music as yourself like you clearly want to. Maybe Nightmare Alley will be a winning role for him before that...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

One has nothing to do with the other.   It's low tier Scorsese.

It has a couple of very good performances from Pacino and Pesci and a couple of great scenes (ice cream) but overall it's a dull slog following a dull sociopath with distractingly poor VFX.

And that still manages to be better than all the BP nominees this year except for Parasite and Little Women.

• Knock It Off 1

Apologies if the following comes across as a bit cringe-worthy, but I have been following the Oscars to varying degrees since 2005, ironically when Crash won Best Picture, and have always anticipated the night of the ceremony year after year in spite of my grievances with the Academy. 

This is, by far, the best Best Picture win I've been fortunate enough to experience. I was over the moon when 12 Years a Slave won the award, but it was expected to win despite Gravity pushing it close. I was shocked and overwhelmed by Moonlight's win, the circumstances surrounding it and the cultural and historical significance of the victory, but it beat out what was my #1 movie of that year (La La Land) and I was disappointed that the team involved in Moonlight didn't get to fully bask in the glory of the result due to the envelope mix-up.
Tonight, Parasite was my favorite movie of not only the nominees, but 2019 overall (a great year for films in general), it went into the night as the spoiler rather than the frontrunner, AND it had the foreign-language barrier to overcome. Thankfully, the movie won over AMPAS because of its quality, pure and simple. I thought for years that in order for a foreign-language film to win Best Picture, it would have to adhere to various Oscar movie tropes and/or be a box-office smash hit. However, Parasite didn't rely on a certain hook/gimmick (no shade to 1917 btw, big fan of the movie), no huge campaigns, no star-studded cast. The movie itself was the USP, making this a truly incredible result.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Lesson learnt, every film with social commentary element have the edge to win BP.

Like Spotlight, 12 years a slave, moonlight, and now Parasite. 

All films say something about the social world (or at least good ones do), so the notion of a "social commentary" film is often used in a pejorative sense or to imply that this is all a film can be reduced to. Parasite, in my opinion, isn't really a "social commentary" film in the pejorative sense - it is thematically rich, technically excellent, and exceptionally entertaining. It's the total package, in my opinion. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Screamin A Smith is co-hosting some Oscars post-show on ABC right now. He thought a Once Upon Time in Hollywood because it had more locations than Parasite, apparently. 

I’m not watching but I can hear the yelling in my ears. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Screamin A Smith is co-hosting some Oscars post-show on ABC right now. He thought Once Upon Time in Hollywood should have won Director over Parasite because it had more locations, apparently. 

My God Disney really is putting this guy everywhere now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Netflix might be less gun-ho about green lighting expensive projects like The Irishman from now on. 

They don't really have much this year besides the David Fincher movie tbh. Don't think anyone expects things like that Ron Howard movie with Amy Adams and Glenn Close or Ryan Murphy's star-studded adaptation of The Prom to be contenders for Best Picture.

Edit: oh wait they have Spike Lee's next movie as well. Yeah, that should be a contender.

Edited by filmlover

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Irishman was dull and boring. By far the worst of the best picture nominees. The Farewell and/or Uncut Gems should have taken its spot. 

Don't forget Knives Out and Hustlers too!!

• Thanks 1

Best Director of the decade

2010 - tom hooper (British)

2011 - Michael ( French)

2012- Ang lee  (Taiwanese)

2013- Cauron (Mexican)

2014 - Innaritu (Mexican)

2015- Innaritu (Mexican)

2016- Damien (American)

2017 - Del toro (Mexican)

2018- Cauron (Mexican)

2019- Bong(Korean)

I am sure Trump isn't going to be happy 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ryan Murphy's star-studded adaptation of The Prom to be contenders for Best Picture.

Let's not even front.  Meryl's already the Front Runner for Best Supporting Actress.  

• Haha 1