Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

I think I was too exhausted to watch Sonic tonight. I should've taken a nap instead. I fell asleep in the theater. It's no fault against the film itself, but I was just not in the right state of mind for it. Maybe I'm watching too many masterpieces in Film Studies. To go from Bonnie and Clyde, to Faces, to Nashville, and then to Sonic the Hedgehog was pretty jarring.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT. but I'm hoping everyone's having a fun Valentine's Day.

Around here, we managed to enjoy the evening by making a dairy-free (and vegan - yeah, I had the vegan marshmallows since the store was out of regular ones) chocolate fondue to die for.  In fact, if you ever need the fool-proof, best Valentine's event ever, have a chocolate fondue.  To make it dairy-free, grab some allergy chocolate, some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, mini marshmallows, vanilla, and Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata (dairy-free organic hazelnut cocoa spread - it's AMAZING) and your pot and swirl it up:).  Serve it with strawberries, clementines, bananas, marshmallows, pretzels, and regular and golden oreos.  Your spouse/friend/kids will absolutely love you for it (and not miss the dairy - but if you can do dairy, use half and half with your chocolate preference, and go cheap with nutella:)...

AWESOME!!  I just bought a book of vegan recipes and it has all kinds of chocolate recipes as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

I thought Downhill was okay. Certainly not worthy of whatever terrible Cinemascore it gets.

I was expecting a bad-ish CS grade regardless because I have no doubt that there's people heading in knowing nothing about it other than that it stars Ferrell and JLD and assume it's a goofy comedy given our history with the actors when the reality is that it's definitely not.

This massively successful turnaround for Sonic both critically and commercially from the absolute disaster the initial marketing/look made seem inevitable is a landmark moment for how studios respond to marketing criticism form audiences. Will be interesting to see the effect this has on that aspect of the industry going forward. Could be both good and bad.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Man this is the forum where half the people thought Detective Pikachu would crack a billion, I don't know WHAT sarcasm is here anymore

Wasn't there a Pika-Pika over Endgame club? That's about when I bugged out last year...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

So how much are we seeing Sonic with when the weekend is over if it’s 30% ahead of Pokemon: Detective Pikachu.

Poke true Fri ~14, so call it 3+18 or so for Thurs+Fri. Maybe 3+18+19+16+12 or so for 68M 4-day. More pessimistically knock a mil off each of SSM for 65

16 minutes ago, cJS said:

Monday is too much. 9 range will be great.

I dunno, Lego Movie was President’s 2nd weekend but did 12.8(VD)+20.3+16.8+12.6

Even Lego Batman 10M Monday with just 32.6 3-day. Below 10 for Sonic will be a disappointment for me after this Fri.

Edit: Peter Rabbit -4% Pres day. Spongebob -19%, KFP3 -25%. If Sun clears 14M or so just don’t see below 10.

Edited by Arendelle Legion