Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

55 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Bad Boys is gonna become to Will Smith what Mission Impossible is to the Reptilian.

His insurance policy in Hollywood.

Don't put MI and Bad Boys in the same sentence...

That's an insult to Tom Cruise and his franchise.

• Like 1

I'm indifferent as to whether or not it happens, but what's the chance The Photograph grosses above Birds of Prey at the weekend box office? They grossed pretty close to each other yesterday. I'm leaning toward "not gonna happen" because, theoretically, the romantic film would do most of its business on the actual day of Valentine's Day, and Birds of Prey might have stolen some romance thunder because Harley Quinn is an icon for a lot of people. But that'd be pretty crazy if it does happen.

10 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I'm indifferent as to whether or not it happens, but what's the chance The Photograph grosses above Birds of Prey at the weekend box office? They grossed pretty close to each other yesterday. I'm leaning toward "not gonna happen" because, theoretically, the romantic film would do most of its business on the actual day of Valentine's Day, and Birds of Prey might have stolen some romance thunder because Harley Quinn is an icon for a lot of people. But that'd be pretty crazy if it does happen.

Unlikely. Ticket sales for Photograph seem to be well off yesterday(like 40% or more). I am sure walk ups will improve but its looking at a big drop today. Birds of Prey will hold better than that for sure. I wont be surprised to see Fantasy Island finish ahead of Photograph. Photograph also over indexed big time at MTCs yesterday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stealthyfrog said:

The family audience was starving for a new family movie after Frozen 2 (a good one: sorry, Dolittle), and Paramount delivered a decent crowd-pleaser in Sonic.

They also wanted a cheap one if it's not Pixar/Disney...Spies and Dolittle failed to deliver on the cheap angle...

Biggest beneficiaries of these TMobile and cheap deals has always been the family (and teen) skewing movies:)...those who money matters a lot more (and those who can't be movie subscribers)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Unlikely. Ticket sales for Photograph seem to be well off yesterday(like 40% or more). I am sure walk ups will improve but its looking at a big drop today. Birds of Prey will hold better than that for sure. I wont be surprised to see Fantasy Island finish ahead of Photograph. Photograph also over indexed big time at MTCs yesterday. 

Not surprised. Expected a bit better hold but The Photograph seems to be going for the same audience as About Last Night which dropped 38% on Saturday after Valentine's Friday.

Edited by lorddemaxus

32 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Photograph was always gonna be a one-day wonder. Probably going to barely do 2x its OD for the 3-day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Is that a possible 15% increase from True Friday? or Friday w/ previews?

True Friday only. Needs a better increase than that to go over full Friday. 

Also just remember that True Friday was inflated with VD making the increase seem smaller than it would otherwise have been. 

That being said, an increase from True Friday also shows that the film is playing more toward the family crowd and should potentially boost the day 3 and 4 possibilities as well. 

Edited by narniadis

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

400 mil (2x BoP) on a probably 150 mil budget isn't very good though. 

would WB really give 150M to an R-rated movie again? I mean James Gunn is great but he's no Denis Villeneuve... (and BR2049 was split between WB & Sony iirc)

Edited by RealLyre
word
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Fantasy Island is bad but I am rooting for it since Lucy Hale's new CW show is tanking just like the previous one. She is having no luck.

Oh I see.

Act like your rooting for her career so then she might respond to your DM's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Fantasy Island is bad but I am rooting for it since Lucy Hale's new CW show is tanking just like the previous one. She is having no luck.

Riverdale doesn't even get good ratings so idk what they thought Katy Keene was gonna do ratings wise and hell the CW Crisis crossover didn't even do that good ratings wise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova said:

If you had told me a month ago that Sonic's 4 day OW would be higher than BOP's first 11 days in theaters, I'd have laughed in your face. Guess the joke's on me. 

There’s a good chance Sonic could out open Onward and Mulan too. 😂