Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i disagree, they made a niche film, i don't think general audiences like it as much as cb fans, evident by meh cinemascore, almost like scott pilgrim which some love and others hate

Eek, if its niche in that way thats not a good outlook for my prospects. Scott Pilgrim is not a good film at all imo, but I was never the right audience for it. 

Just now, narniadis said:

Eek, if its niche in that way thats not a good outlook for my prospects. Scott Pilgrim is not a good film at all imo, but I was never the right audience for it. 

I agree Scott Pilgrim is not a good film. 

Scott Pilgrim is an excellent movie. 👌

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This decade is going to be for video game movie mainstream success what the 00’s was for CBMs, calling it now. We are right on the brink of the first true video game box office juggernaut, not sure what it is but I would bet money it’s close. The first three fresh VGMs and highest grossing ones all in the last year. The tides are definitely turning I’d say. 

We need a Raimi Spider-Man level, revolutionary, video game movie for that and not these generic films that audiences will forget in a day though. I doubt the upcoming Illumination Mario movie (probably will be a juggernaut though) or Uncharted movie will be that. Mortal Kombat is getting dumped in Jan, Monster Hunter is just gonna be another Paul WS Anderson film, and Tomb Raider 2 will be another divisive Ben Wheatley film at best. I can see the Mario movie make a crapton of money but the sequel dropping like Secret Lives of Pets 2 or Minions likely will later this year.

I just don't see any of these video game movies start franchises that will consistently make money. We need something quite different to what's been made till now and what's being made right now for what you said to happen.

People hoping VGMs will be the CBMs of the 20s just don’t want to acknowledge that CBMs will be the CBMs of the 20s.

Spoiler

And nothing will be the CBMs of the 30s because studios will release everything to their streaming services with a feee for early (OD) access :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

BOP

62 +17.3*2.5 = 105. 25m

62 +17.3*2    =  96.6m 

62+17.3*1.75=  92.275m

Seems all certain to cross 90m Domestic. With good holds will cross 100m.

Not a big underperformer. 

Sequel should happen. 

I want BoP to do 100m but I think your calculation should be before the weekend #s. So 42.1+[17.3*2.5]=85.3.

I think it will be in the 90s which is annoying. Next 2 weekends are barren so maybe it'll have good holds but it had no real competion when it opened and... I loved the movie so I'm rooting for it.

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 1

We need more movies based on J-horror. Silent Hill is still far and away the best video game movie and the only one I can think of that actually feels like it was made by a filmmaker and not the studio. 

Now that Sonic is a success gimme a Illbleed adaptation with Zodick the Hellhog:

Zodickthehellhog.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

I want BoP to do 100m but I think your calculation should be before the weekend #s. So 42.1+[17.3*2.5]=85.3.

I think it will be in the 90s which is annoying. Next 2 weekends are barren so maybe it'll have good holds but it had no real competion when it opened and... I loved the movie so I'm rooting for it.

Calculation is done after the weekend. This is not BOP first weekend. 

I am talking about multiplier from here onwards. 

Usually the movies do 2.5x-3x more the second weekend but as this is holiday weekend. 2x-2.5x is the best case scenario. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Or just a Weekend with 3 holidays instead of 1. I mean if there wasn't Valentine's day on Friday & President Day on Sunday, we were looking at $3.7mn Friday & $3.9mn Sunday for $14mn weekend i.e. -58%.

Even Sonic weekend is boosted by $10mn.

Agreed. And in that case I would have said for sub-60% drop let's thank name change and SEO optimization 😛

• Haha 1

Sonic finished D2 with 333K at MTC1 and 297K at MTC2. Increase in gross is about 17-18%. But MTC1/2 tend to under index on saturdays when other chains tend to increase more. So Charlie's numbers should be almost on point. 

Photograph sold 78.5K at MTC1 and 50K at MTC2. So it dropped hard. I would say 30% drop nationally from its VD OD. 

Fantasy Island sold slightly more than 58K at MTC1 and more than 55K at MTC2 when I last checked aroun 830PM PST. So it held much better than Photograph. Probably would have dropped 20% from friday nationally. 

I will only track Sonic starting Day 3. PS for Day 3 is very robust. I am expecting it to have a strong hold(20-25% ish). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Yes and no? The layout of this particular calendar configuration is unique in the fact that its only every 6 years or so (similar to when Christmas and New Years fall on Fridays). Nowhere else on the Domestic calendar do we have a legitimate 4 day weekend that starts with the equivalent of a super movie date night. 

Closest that happens consistantly would be Easter, but its a skewed playout with its own rules. This particular calendar set up overly benefits / skews all movies in play somewhat in a way that other 4 day weekends do not. 

That being said, you are correct in that most movies benefit on some level from a holiday, since NA has them on a 6 to 8 week basis spread. This is just not a normal holiday playout.

Well the entire stretch from Thanksgiving through the new year...  nobody is in school practically and the day after Thanksgiving,  Black Friday is now a paid holiday for many people so you have that four day stretch from Thanksgiving, Black Friday and the weekend which I imagine is more beneficial than President's Day.  

8 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so with amazing legs, Sonic should be looking to make 30M-50M more than Pikachu domestically. BUT Pika Pika made 93M in China so that more than evens things out. 

Sonic will be more profitable than Detective Pikachu. 

Detective Pikachu just broke even (maybe a little profit). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so with amazing legs, Sonic should be looking to make 30M-50M more than Pikachu domestically. BUT Pika Pika made 93M in China so that more than evens things out. 

I don't think Sonic will be even close to Pikachu overseas. Domestic also I will be thinking of $140-150mn range.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

The fact that we are happy with it just missing the 50% mark on an inflated holiday weekend without a massive week 1 opening says a lot. 

Let’s not. it’s 4 day will be sub 40%. The three day will be comfortably sub 50%. 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think Sonic will be even close to Pikachu overseas. Domestic also I will be thinking of $140-150mn range.

Yeh, Sonic just completely tanked in South Korea, opening day less than 10,000 admissions. From 1,500 showings. Although it’ll probably do well here in the UK, parents here take their kids to see anything. 

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Or just a Weekend with 3 holidays instead of 1. I mean if there wasn't Valentine's day on Friday & President Day on Sunday, we were looking at $3.7mn Friday & $3.9mn Sunday for $14mn weekend i.e. -58%.

Even Sonic weekend is boosted by $10mn.

Oh look, BOP has an “what if” drop. The trolls will love that. 

Anyway, officially it’s second weekend drop is under 50%. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh look, BOP has an “what if” drop. The trolls will love that. 

Anyway, officially it’s second weekend drop is under 50%. 

Tbh officialy doesn't mean anything. Context is everything, because that will determin the end total not deflated or inflated x weekends etc.

Obviously before release we knew it was going to have a holiday 2nd weekend so that will help the multi out for sure, 3rd weekend won't be as pretty thought.

• Like 6

Sonic the Hedgehog               20.40
Birds of Prey                 6.35
Bad Boys for Life                 4.35
Fantasy Island                 4.10
The Photograph                 3.70
1917                 3.20
Parasite                 2.15
Jumanji: The Next Level                 2.05
Dolittle                 1.85
Downhill                 1.55
Edited by charlie Jatinder