Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

Astounding opening for Sonic. Also a much-needed win for Paramount, who are about to have their first $100M+ grosser in over a year (the last being Bumblebee from the end of 2018).

Solid drop for Birds of Prey by comic book movie standards. If it manages decent holds in the weeks ahead it might eek past $100M by the end of its run.

The other three openers did as well as they were ever going to, I suppose.

Lots of big grossers scattered throughout. Jumanji has cleared $300M, Bad Boys will cross $200M, 1917 gonna do $160M+. Parasite is locked for a $50M+ total, which is great.

Between Sonic and Bad Boys, this year continues to overperform my expectations (never expected much from Birds of Prey, I'm serious). The lack of mega hits may have made us overlook the very solid number of hits in the 170-240 range that we have been missing for the last few years. Next up in a solid year would be Invisible Man breaking out to 28m+ OW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Not sure why he's baiting 

:stirthepot:

So, he took the 4 movies that have been holding great for weeks...and ignored all the rest of the holdovers...seems totally fair!

PS - Amazing that Dolittle and especially Jumanji held so well in the face of Sonic's open AND Sonic's cheap tickets...truly great for both (and Dolittle has done what few expected after open - crossed 1x its production budget, on its way to probably 1.2x or so...for any other family movie not named Disney/Pixar, its WW $-level performance would be great (especially without China)...so next time, it just needs to drop the budget 40% if it's gonna ever have a sequel...which may be possible if it can reuse all the animal designs and CGI...and get RDJ to take a little pay cut:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2