Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

1 minute ago, stealthyfrog said:

BOP is an underperformer rather than a flop like we thought after the OW. Kinda like Shazam but a bit worse.

Shazam 2 announcement happened... BoP 2 next? 🤔 

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

That seems to be the  low balled budget. Plenty of sites are listing a higher number 

It’s budget was 97m minus tax credits which took it to 84m with reshoots. It doesn’t change the fact that the movie is underperforming expectations. 

Knives Out going to $161.8 has jumped over SLOP2 and HTTYD3 to get to 15th Domestic for 2019. Needs $9m more to overtake John Wick 3. Likely to be overtaken by 1917.

1917 has overtaken Shazam, OATIH and Pika to go 18th for 2019. Will overtake SLOP2 in $14m 

Little Women has gone above Hustlers to 29th and will overtake Lego 2 in a couple days. 

Parasite's weekend takes it above Breakthrough, Little, Angry Birds 2, Dogs Way Home and Harriet to leapfrog to 64th in the domestic market for 2019 with $43.18m.  Plenty in its sights. Highest non English language film last year was Padmavati at 124. Or Overboard at 54 depending if it counts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I can see it. BoP didn't cost that much to make, and it was well received by critics and the people who watched it.

I think they'll keep Harley as a supporting character in other DC films but I can't imagine they'll do another solo Harley film for the foreseeable unless it's on HBO Max.

Warner should have used Birds of Prey's production money to make Joker watchable.

Misguided use of ressources for sure.

Since Deadpool, the cheap as fuck superhero movie model is thriving.

For our misfortune.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

Gotham City Sirens would work very well indeed if the leads had awesome chemistry. But the budget would be quite a bit higher than BoP due to all the CGI and practical sets required by Ivy. Hard to see that movie happening in the current circumstances which is a shame...

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

WB would be foolish to pursue anymore Harley movies

Superman is far more popular and iconic and his ass got benched after JL. She's done

Meanwhile Harley is the lead In Gunn's The Suicide Squad...I can't imagine they are now running around panicked demanding for Gunn to change his script...

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

In itself I think yes.But they could be used as supporting characters in a future Batgirl movie or their movie will be an HBO Max exclusive.

But If by sequel you mean Gotham City Sirens then I think this still has potential and may happen. Poison Ivy and Catwoman are royalty and very popular across the world.

They should have made Gotham City Sirens movie first before Birds of Prey. 

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

In the bop thread I was thinking it could do jw3 (325m ww)numbers but I was obviously wrong about that even. 

With respects to future movies with those characters I think it would be best to do a BOP vs GCS movie and make it a bigger movie, especially if they can use the same Catwoman from the Batman movie. I have no idea what their plan is though. 

I think WB will want to forget anything to do with BOP. 

“Birds of Prey” cost a reported $82 million to produce, with executives at rival studios putting that number as closer to $100 million (due to elaborate sets and CGI), and estimating the film needs to make around $100 million domestically and $300 million globally to break even. Sources close to the production say the breakeven number is closer to $250 million

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/birds-of-prey-box-office-disappoints-1203498018/

it wont even be reaching the low point of 250m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

I thought I'd just say The Gentlemen is having a sneaky good run. I think it's at $75m now. The deadline international report stated that it opened in a few more markets and made over $8m internationally this weekend. Pretty solid. I think this can get to $90m WW

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, cax16 said:

It’s budget was 97m minus tax credits which took it to 84m with reshoots. It doesn’t change the fact that the movie is underperforming expectations. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$84m is the net budget. 

$84M was the expected net spending in the state of California for what I remember, not the actual movie budget.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

$84M was the expected net spending in the state of California for what I remember, not the actual movie budget.

The movie was only shot in California I think. I think that’s what Grimm said. 

14 minutes ago, cax16 said:

The movie was only shot in California I think. I think that’s what Grimm said. 

And a lot of the SFX firm are from there also, that why the rumored budget we read around like $100M are so extremely close to that figure (that a 2018 document about a 2020 early release that can have got expended reshoot than planned has well I would imagine).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1