Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Meanwhile Harley is the lead In Gunn's The Suicide Squad...I can't imagine they are now running around panicked demanding for Gunn to change his script...

Where is she being attributed as the lead? Certainly she is in it, and will be among the top billing, but I think its way to early to say she is going to be the lead character. All we know about the film is that it's got about 20 notable actors.

Birds of Prey s budget went up because Harley Quinn has more clothes in BOP than in Suicide Squad to cover her beautiful & sexy body to prevent the character from being the subject of the evil male gaze.

Margot Robie s words, not mine.

I’m confused how Sonic beat Detective Pikachu. It doesn’t make sense lol. The last sonic game couldn’t even touch 1 million copies and most of the games had horrible reviews.

Pokemkn Sword & Shield were some of the best selling games of last year and sold 16 million copies in a month. A record breaking sales for switch games!!! It seems Pokémon fans don’t go to the movies if at all.

Edited by Tentatek

20 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

I’m confused how Sonic beat Detective Pikachu. It doesn’t make sense lol. The last sonic game barely sold 1 million copies and most of the games had horrible reviews.

Pokemkn Sword & Shield were some of the best selling game of last year and sold 16 million copies in a month. A record breaking sales for switch games!!! It seems Pokémon fans don’t go to the movies if at all.

Both are properties that have been ingrained in pop culture well beyond video games (via cartoons, comics, merchandise, etc.) but Sonic had a more open marketplace to take advantage of in terms of options for families - that audience was begging for a new movie to be excited about (Dolittle might have broken out too had the movie not looked so off-putting).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ohh come on. Its 2020 and you still think a MCU sequel will dip when previous film did just normal numbers (abnormal aka BP).

I don’t think increases or decreases are any guarantee for a sequel.  No reason it couldn’t dip, especially since it won’t be the first MCU post Endgame

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I don’t think increases or decreases are any guarantee for a sequel.  No reason it couldn’t dip, especially since it won’t be the first MCU post Endgame

I am pretty sure you were in "FFH below HC because its Spidey film".

I guarantee a $190mn OW & $450mn total this early.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ohh come on. Its 2020 and you still think a MCU sequel will dip when previous film did just normal numbers (abnormal aka BP).

The Batman, Jurassic 3 and Indy 5 in a close timeframe. Of course 4 $350M+ DOM aiming films packed together all aiming for the same 1 month timeframe only equals seuccess.

Just because it hasn’t happen yet, doesn’t mean it won’t happen. 

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I swear Endgame is causing expectations to inflate. I literally remember someone saying if a MCU film doesn’t do $1B, it’s an underperformer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Movies4Life said:

What movie’s the $16.8M for?

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am pretty sure you were in "FFH below HC because its Spidey film".

I guarantee a $190mn OW & $450mn total this early.

I think Batman has a better chance to be honest, and I don’t think that’s happening for either.

+$6.5mn boost by VD

+$3.5mn boost on Sunday.

Can totally see total below Pikachu FWIW.

Curious about demographics, cause isn’t Sonic playing more family friendly than Pikachu? I mean Sonic < Pikachu WW is locked but DOM I don’t get.

Yes it is.

That’s your fault for unrealistic expectations if you think that when 5 of the 11 Phase 3 haven’t done over $900M, and an additional 3 of the 11 were basically Avengers films.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

16.8 (vs 15.5 est -> 58.3 vs 57 est)

4.9 (vs 4.4 est -> 17.5 vs 17.1 est)

J 1.9 (vs 1.75 est -> 5.85 vs 5.7 est)

P 1.75 (vs 1.65 est -> 5.6 vs 5.5 est)

revised weekends

• Like 2