Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Seinfeld was produced before Castle Rock was acquired by Turner who later merged with TimeWarner/WarnerMedia so they are existing deals in place that have to be honoured which is why Sony has distribution rights to various Castle Rock films and TV series like When Harry Met Sally, A Few Good Men etc despite Castle Rock being owned by Warner Bros. It's fairly common that a studio gets to keep the distribution rights to a film or TV series even if the IP or production company is acquired by another studio. You only have to look at the very complex rights issues regarding the 1966 Batman TV series. 

So WB receives a cut of the deal but has no say in the distribution?  Will Sony TV always control it? 

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

From ticket sales perspective Sonic is already at 72% of yesterday at MTC. It generally slows down quite a bit in the evening. but it should hit the estimates for sure. 

From $ drop its around 28% but Canada will drop harder. So overall I would say 11.5m monday for Sonic. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

From $ drop its around 28% but Canada will drop harder. So overall I would say 11.5m monday for Sonic. 

That makes sense. The movie is family film but it's also attracting more older audiences than the usual family film does (looking at posttrak's demographic stats, it's comparable to Pikachu) so it's drop isnt as good as the ones that most family films get.

Sonic the Hedgehog               11.88
Birds of Prey                 2.53
Bad Boys for Life                 1.52
Fantasy Island                 1.43
1917                 1.36
Dolittle                 1.27
Jumanji: The Next Level                 1.23
The Photograph                 1.06
Parasite                 0.98
Downhill                 0.48
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

So WB receives a cut of the deal but has no say in the distribution?  Will Sony TV always control it? 

Pretty much. I doubt WB cares that much as Friends and Big Bang Theory are much bigger revenue earners than Seinfeld.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Pretty much. I doubt WB cares that much as Friends and Big Bang Theory are much bigger revenue earners than Seinfeld.

I would imagine they care a lot about a show that can fetch $500M, 5 year's deal with virtually $0 expense nor effort involved, that pretty much exactly what Friend netflix deal was not so long ago I think.