Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

Doing some extrapolation, Sonic only did about $105K at MTC4 yesterday.  As of 11:30AM EST, it's sitting at $183K for D-1.

Up to $232K as of 2PM EST.  For reference, BOP did about $474k on D-1.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Wtf. 

And, here I thought 18m was optimistic. 

It's as of now. It will fall down later imo. Still though if it does anywhere near 16m true Friday that's insanely good 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

Thanks Charlie, would love to see Sonic be that big. Concern would be how it behaves post today, the bigger Friday is, the worse IMO Saturday will be. 

Also - celebration for Jumanji hitting 300m!! Makes me happy and glad that I underpredicted. 

Damn Sonic is having some MASSIVE sales here today compared to what I'd expect from the 3M preview number. Saturday and Sunday are more muted for pre-sales, but that might just be the nature of kid-driven movies over a weekend. Wouldn't be surprised with a 18M true Friday, but I won't hop on 20 yet

• Like 2

Fantasy Island is projected to do 15 Million dollars. Which sound bad until you relize it has a seven million dollar budget. It will have paid for itself opening weekend, maybe even turn a small profit. Despite the horrible reviews (It's a Jeff Wadrow movie;what did you expect, good reviews) when streaming and video are figured in, Blumhouse and Sony will get a good return on their small investment.

Just now, dudalb said:

Fantasy Island is projected to do 15 Million dollars. Which sound bad

To who ? Because it really does not, imo.

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Who saw the Sonic explosion coming, besides me? 

One of the most surprising turn of event for me, really blindsided by it, I would have needed a 10:1 line to bet a Sonic above BoP domestic I think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

How is Fantasy Island looking?

Projected 15 Million ow. It will have paid for itself, with a 7 million dollar budget opening weekend,Figure in steraming and video, Blumhouse will make a few Million bucks on it..a good return on a small investment.

BLumhouse strategy is based upon releasing a large number of really low budgets films in the horror genre, which has a loyal core audience who will trun out even if the film looks like crap. You might only make a couple of million in profit per film,, but it's adds up. Their plan of business is not like a normal studio....and it has been very successful for them.