Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

9 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

FWIW, Sonic is doing stellar business in NYC today. 
Lots of late afternoon/early evening sellouts at multiple AMC locations. 

Definitely feels like a strong Tuesday cheap night movie. Might have a nice hold today. 

I am trying to stay conservative so I'm predicting around $3.3M Tuesday. How's that?

This will be a great year for live-action kids movies! Well, more specifically, this will be a great year for movies that kids can enjoy! I mean, yeah, most blockbusters are films that families go see together. That hasn't exactly changed. But this year, there's a lot of movies that seem like they're aimed at the family audience. I feel like that hasn't been the case in a long time. I remember that when I was a kid, half of all the wide release movies had a youthful energy. I saw so many kids movies, it's not even funny! Nanny McPheeThe Water Horse: Legend of the DeepCheaper by the DozenSky HighFreaky FridayBridge to TerabithiaEnchanted, that one Charlotte's Web remake that barely anyone remembers. Those were kids films that families went and saw in theaters. And it's really refreshing to see families go and see this type of film again! I mean, it's refreshing to see Sonic the Hedgehog successfully marketed to kids and families! And I'm fairly convinced that people will want to see other upcoming kids films! Next friday, The Call of the Wild comes out; there's bound to be people who are curious about it, and I'm sure it'll at least do better than Dolittle. Then, not counting obvious animated films or obvious blockbusters, the rest of the year will have films like My SpyI Still BelievePeter Rabbit 2The Secret GardenArtemis FowlFree GuyJungle CruiseThe One and Only IvanThe Witches, and Clifford the Big Red Dog--and that isn't counting the obvious animated films and blockbusters! I'm telling you, people are saying 2020 will be a low point for the U.S. box office, but I'm really optimistic that films aimed at kids and families are going to be what saves this year from crashing and burning! If an embarrassing disaster like Dolittle can gross $71M domestic in a month, then surely one of the listed 2020 films can become an unexpected hit with the family audience! So don't count out the family audience! They'll be saving this year! Just you wait!

• ...wtf 1

47 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

This will be a great year for live-action kids movies! Well, more specifically, this will be a great year for movies that kids can enjoy! I mean, yeah, most blockbusters are films that families go see together. That hasn't exactly changed. But this year, there's a lot of movies that seem like they're aimed at the family audience. I feel like that hasn't been the case in a long time. I remember that when I was a kid, half of all the wide release movies had a youthful energy. I saw so many kids movies, it's not even funny! Nanny McPheeThe Water Horse: Legend of the DeepCheaper by the DozenSky HighFreaky FridayBridge to TerabithiaEnchanted, that one Charlotte's Web remake that barely anyone remembers. Those were kids films that families went and saw in theaters. And it's really refreshing to see families go and see this type of film again! I mean, it's refreshing to see Sonic the Hedgehog successfully marketed to kids and families! And I'm fairly convinced that people will want to see other upcoming kids films! Next friday, The Call of the Wild comes out; there's bound to be people who are curious about it, and I'm sure it'll at least do better than Dolittle. Then, not counting obvious animated films or obvious blockbusters, the rest of the year will have films like My SpyI Still BelievePeter Rabbit 2The Secret GardenArtemis FowlFree GuyJungle CruiseThe One and Only IvanThe Witches, and Clifford the Big Red Dog--and that isn't counting the obvious animated films and blockbusters! I'm telling you, people are saying 2020 will be a low point for the U.S. box office, but I'm really optimistic that films aimed at kids and families are going to be what saves this year from crashing and burning! If an embarrassing disaster like Dolittle can gross $71M domestic in a month, then surely one of the listed 2020 films can become an unexpected hit with the family audience! So don't count out the family audience! They'll be saving this year! Just you wait!

That's confidence:)...I mean, Dolittle is going $80M+ DOM/200M WW...and that's not an easy bar to clear:)...

I'm not nearly as confident as you are in Call of the Wild...without an announced ticket deal for families (and even with one, this last minute), I doubt it gets 1/2 as high as Dolittle's totals...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's confidence:)...I mean, Dolittle is going $80M+ DOM/200M WW...and that's not an easy bar to clear:)...

I'm not nearly as confident as you are in Call of the Wild...without an announced ticket deal for families (and even with one, this last minute), I doubt it gets 1/2 as high as Dolittle's totals...

While its unlikely for it to beat Dolittle(releasing week after a huge family breakout) I would not count it out. I think it could potentially do better than Dolittle with OD PS and it have way better reviews than Dolittle. But releasing one week after Sonic is not a great idea. The should have released it couple of weeks before that. Dolittle benefited from absolutely no competition for families. 

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Discount tuesdays are hard to predict.

Just as comps

Dolittle dropped 57% in ticket sales at MTC on 1st tuesday and gross dropped 69%. 

Sonic is dropping just 33% in ticket sales at MTC1. I wonder if the drop would be just 40-45% from President's day.

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

5mn Sonic.

-58%

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I said they are hard to predict. Its easier to do weekly comps once we have one tuesday number.  plus I checked just one MTC. Too many variables. 

I haven't checked, I will in some time but Chanda had better than expected Monday for an Indian film while its dropping today, so I guess Canada also had some advantage on Monday.