Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Taking Off With $55M+ 4-Day Opening

2nd Update:  Sonic the Hedgehog is quickly looking like a hit, besting the top end of its $50M 4-day projection of $55M, off a $17M Friday and $45M 3-day. Great stuff.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-birds-of-prey-will-ferrell-downhill-valentines-day-box-office-1202860119/

They’re predicting $12 million for Fantasy for 4 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, that seems impossible, espescially if sales are above Pikachu atm.

All depends on where and how the current presale sales are...if they are presold evening shows at MTC 1/2 using Atom $4 deal...you aren't getting a lot of walk ups tonight b/c MTC 1/2 are fullish at the desired times and MTC 3/4 (and other smaller theaters) are full prices...and folks love a deal, especially for an okay-ish movie they wouldn't have paid to see without the deal (so they'll wait for a day or two for MTC 1/2, if they have one around)...

Warner Bros. Birds of Prey will take 2nd place with a 4-day of $18.9M in weekend 2, 3-day of $15.3M off a 2nd Friday of $5.9M. 11-day total is heading toward $61M.

From Deadline - here's their BoP numbers...

https://deadline.com/2020/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-birds-of-prey-will-ferrell-downhill-valentines-day-box-office-1202860119/

Edit to add - the projected 11 day total is what I thought this movie should have drawn for 3 days 6 months ago...ah well...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Taking Off With $55M+ 4-Day Opening

2nd Update:  Sonic the Hedgehog is quickly looking like a hit, besting the top end of its $50M 4-day projection of $55M, off a $17M Friday and $45M 3-day. Great stuff.

5.9m Friday for BoP. Hoping for 4-day more around 20m+. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Warner Bros. Birds of Prey will take 2nd place with a 4-day of $18.9M in weekend 2, 3-day of $15.3M off a 2nd Friday of $5.9M. 11-day total is heading toward $61M.

From Deadline - here's their BoP numbers...

They’re guessing only a 3.2 multiplier over a 4 day weekend? Nah. 

I think BOP will go comfortably over $20m (-39%) with a $5.9m Friday. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

All depends on where and how the current presale sales are...if they are presold evening shows at MTC 1/2 using Atom $4 deal...you aren't getting a lot of walk ups tonight b/c MTC 1/2 are fullish at the desired times and MTC 3/4 (and other smaller theaters) are full prices...and folks love a deal, especially for an okay-ish movie they wouldn't have paid to see without the deal (so they'll wait for a day or two for MTC 1/2, if they have one around)...

I don't think Deadline is getting theater-level info, just analysis based on current pace. Which is a little odd since Charlie's last update was an hour ago, instead of morning like it usually is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Only one film can save us from this superhero fatigue 🦇 

That suit reveal alone trended for hours... imagine what a trailer could do

Batman is a 200M+ opener in the making. Wouldn't surprise me if it opened on par with Avengers and Jurassic World at this point.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't think Deadline is getting theater-level info, just analysis based on current pace. Which is a little odd since Charlie's last update was an hour ago, instead of morning like it usually is.

But, I'd imagine when they take their guesses at 3pm EST (and I do call Deadline guesses), that they see the completed sales for the early shows from each major chain, and also the presales left for the day...so they see a bad ratio on those numbers, and they go low, so they don't get too embarrassed (better to say $14M now and "surprised" later with $15-$16M true Friday, than go $20M and have to drop to $15-$16M)...

• Like 2