Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Could Sonic end up doing as much as Detective Pikachu or more at domestic and ww boxoffice?! Impressive. The release date really hurt pikachu else could have done much much more.

I don't think Sonic will perform well OS.  It's not a big property at all not to mention Asia is dealing with a serious health crisis and nobody is preoccupied with going to the movies. 

Maybe South America may help but that was supposedly a big place for BOP and that didn't help jack.

56 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

reminder that WB still have not had a 100M+ opener since IT 2017 and before that it was Wonder Woman & the Snyder era DC films + Harry Potter/Nolan.

Diana Prince will give them a much needed win this June though. 

Not if my club has anything to say about it.

Edited by grey ghost
  • ...wtf 1

Just listened to No time to die. It's good (I'm not a fan of Billie but she sounded good here) and I think it will work for the film. But it is not even in the same league as Skyfall. I think that song paired with that movie was pure lightning in a bottle. 

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just listened to No time to die. It's good (I'm not a fan of Billie but she sounded good here) and I think it will work for the film. But it is not even in the same league as Skyfall. I think that song paired with that movie was pure lightning in a bottle. 

Adele's voice wailing in the theater was definitely an amazing moment.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Variety is saying $9M for Parasite: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/box-office-sonic-the-hedgehog-jim-carrey-photograph-fantasy-island-1203504286/ (at the bottom)

Sure hope that holds because it'd be a tremendous number. 

From the preceding paragraphs it looks like earlier predictions w/o actual numbers.  Their Jumanji prediction is nuts

Holdovers “1917” and “Jumanji: The Next Level” should be fighting for sixth place in the $10 million to $12 million range. “1917” should finish the weekend near $150 million while the “Jumanji” sequel should hit $312 million after more than two months.

Neon’s  “Parasite,” which won Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars, is pegged to take in about $9 million at 2,001 sites, lifting its total North American take to $46 million. Neon doubled the location count in the wake of the South Korean sensation’s four Academy Awards.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Sonic s reception seems to be a bit better still.

It's lower then all 3 of them critics wise and audience wise it hasn't even reached half of both of these. 

It's still way too early to judge reception.

Edited by Cappoedameron

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Variety is saying $9M for Parasite: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/box-office-sonic-the-hedgehog-jim-carrey-photograph-fantasy-island-1203504286/ (at the bottom)

Sure hope that holds because it'd be a tremendous number. 

Would love to see it happen, but even over 4 days thats unusually strong let alone over 3.