The Father

The French Dispatch
Mank

Minari

Next Goal Wins

Nomadland

Soul

Tenet

I think there's been rumors that Next Goal Wins is headed to next year.

the ten nominees thing is for next years oscars not this years. oh btw

the Academy will implement a "quarterly viewing process" through the Academy Screening Room, the streaming site through which Academy members are able to watch Oscar hopefuls at home. By making it possible for members to view films released year-round, the Academy aims to broaden each film's exposure, level the playing field and ensure all eligible films can be seen by voting members.

this is great.

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the ten nominees thing is for next years oscars not this years. oh btw

this is great.

But there were always critically acclaimed movies released throughout the year and later available on streaming? Not on the Academy's website but other popular services like Netflix/Prime/Hulu and VOD. The culprit in getting the same boring nominees is a laziness in thought, of having a narrow sense of what is worthy of being awarded. I hope all these initiatives work out and change how people think, but I am skeptical....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

heard Next Goals Wins and Nomadland are gonna wait for next year (apparently Chloe is too busy with Eternals post?).

Yeah, that makes sense. The French Dispatch will likely be Searchlight's main push this year. They'll also likely keep that Tammy Faye movie with Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield in this year but I doubt that goes anywhere beyond potential acting noms.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if it was 10 films for BP the last couple of years. 

in 2019 we would've got Knives Out

in 2018 Beale Street and Can You Ever Forgive Me

in 2017 I, Tonya or BR2049

it was probably i tonya but i think the big sick with PGA+SAG nods would have been a head of blade runner. i agree w/ 2019. though in 2018 a quiet place and crazy rich asians were both in the hunt for sure since i gather they were looking for popular movies that year and they did well at guilds, even if they didn't come thru with the actual nominations in other categories i think they might have been close. so i'd swap one of the indies there.

• Like 1

Just now, RealLyre said:

if it was 10 films for BP the last couple of years. 

in 2019 we would've got Knives Out

in 2018 Beale Street and Can You Ever Forgive Me

in 2017 I, Tonya or BR2049

I, Tonya was definitely #10 in 2017 since it got plenty of guild support and had an acting winner. Overall that sounds about right. Not sure what would've made it in 2016 though. Deadpool was nominated at PGA, Golden Globes, and WGA so...maybe that lmao? A Best Picture nomination and nothing else would've been fitting for it.

• Like 1

i think it was deadpool. i think if they held the straight 10 for a little longer we'd have seen more movies nominated for best picture and nothing else. happened a few times in the expanded line-ups of the 30s and 40s. i think these movies would've been best picture nominees

2016 - deadpool

2015 - ex machina and inside out

2014 - foxcatcher and nightcrawler

2013 - blue jasmine

2012 - moonrise kingdom

2011 - the girl with the dragon tattoo

• Like 2

In Telegram earlier I said these would’ve been the extra films:

2019: The Two Popes

2018: Cold War and Beale Street

2017: The Big Sick

2016: Jackie

2015: Carol and Straight Outta Compton

2014: Foxcatcher and Inherent Vice

2013: Blue Jasmine

2012: The Master

2011: Bridesmaids

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

In Telegram earlier I said these would’ve been the extra films:

2019: The Two Popes

2018: Cold War and Beale Street

2017: The Big Sick

2016: Jackie

2015: Carol and Straight Outta Compton

2014: Foxcatcher and Inherent Vice

2013: Blue Jasmine

2012: The Master

2011: Bridesmaids

some of these are wrong for sure. girl with the dragon tattoo has so far been the only movie nominated for DGA that didn't get a best pic nomination since they expanded it. that's a definite 10th that year. The Master couldn't even get a screenplay nod over Flight i don't think there was much interest in it beyond the performers. Jackie wasn't anywhere near it either.