filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Nightcrawler didn't even get a Best Actor nom, think Gone Girl would have been ahead of it

Nightcrawler's guild performance seemed stronger than Gone Girl's was (Pike was likely in last place and would've missed in a more competitive year for that category) and the latter ended up underperforming big time for a movie that seemed like it was destined to be a major player upon release in October. Jake was in 6th or 7th place in what was a really competitive Best Actor year.

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

April 2021 sounds good 

wonder how long the eligibility window will be extended, has to be at least Feb-March for it to have any significance.

I assumed February. I don't even think this move was necessary since I think most big awards films that were scheduled for 2020 will still release in 2020.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I assumed February. I don't even think this move was necessary since I think most big awards films that were scheduled for 2020 will still release in 2020.

hmm I think maybe Sundance could have a stronger presence at the Oscars then? if a distributor quickly acquires whatever hits big in next year's sundance festival and releases it on Feb or March.

or bigger movies will just decide to premiere at Sundance with the new eligibility window 

edit: assuming festivals still take place (whether in-person or virtually) in fall and early 2021.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

There's probably about to be a lot of reshuffling in terms of the awards calendar. BAFTA will also likely go to early April while one or both of the Golden Globes and SAG will move to either February or March. The Emmys are still set for September 20 but will probably end up moving to January to be on the safe side even though nominations will be announced at the end of July.

• Like 1

i wonder what that benefits. maybe the last duel if they can get production back up and running. or nightmare alley which was halfway thru filming but since it was being shot in the US i find it unlikely it'll finish in time. i guess Eternals is gonna get a vfx nod. right now it seems kinda pointless to me idk.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wonder what that benefits. maybe the last duel if they can get production back up and running. or nightmare alley which was halfway thru filming but since it was being shot in the US i find it unlikely it'll finish in time. i guess Eternals is gonna get a vfx nod. right now it seems kinda pointless to me idk.

Maybe some of the awards contenders will just go to January and February now just to be on the safe side and get out of this year. Especially since older audiences (one of the usual Oscar crowds) are unlikely to be heading anywhere near a multiplex for the remainder of 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wonder what that benefits. maybe the last duel if they can get production back up and running. 

Given the state of affairs in Ireland and the (so far successful) measures taken, The Last Duel could certainly restart by August (plus, we're talking about Ridley Scott: if anyone can finish a half-filmed period piece in time for Christmas, it's him).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Something out of Sundance? Make a big splash at Sundance, get acquired and submitted and released ASAP. Ride the momentum to an Oscar victory.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Something out of Sundance? Make a big splash at Sundance, get acquired and submitted and released ASAP. Ride the momentum to an Oscar victory.

I wonder with the new rules, if now higher profile movies will DECIDE to premiere at Sundance to get more buzz, Netflix & co will have to be quick with the acquisitions,

although if Sundance gets delayed this all won't matter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

read that Nightmare Alley needs at least 2 more months of shooting, and GDT is slow in edit bay, probably the earliest we can see that is Venice 2021 imo

• Like 1

Netflix should have Blonde premiere at Sundance and then drop it on february on streaming and have Ana de Armas fresh on everybody's minds for lead actress.

from what I heard the movie sounds indiesh and weird enough to feel like a sundance film.

do it you cowards 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

BAFTA moves to April 11.

i guess every other awards show will follow their lead very soon. let's not do this for the BOFFYs. we'll nominate sonic the hedgehog for best picture even if these cowards don't want to.

• Like 3