filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

counting 2020 and 2021 releases in one ceremony is something i would get behind right now, dunno if it already happened before in the history of the oscars, but 2020 is a relatively weak year for obvious reasons, most of the oscar-baity movies will release in late 2020/early 2021 if they skip theaters, and for those who don't want to skip theaters they would wait even longer and will be ineligible.

with a lot of film festivals cancelled or downgraded to a lesser digital versions without awards, many highly anticipated movies decided to just skip this year's editions. so we would get less output from festival favorites.

films like Parasite and A Separation wouldn't have got as much international attention if they didn't have festivals hype. so this would be another huge blow 

and all of this (+ production delays) would further affect 2021 as a domino effect.

so delaying the 93rd Oscars ceremony until like Feb/March 2022 and having the eligibility window open from Jan 2020 until Dec 2021 is a compromise i would be okay with. although outright canceling 2020 might be a bit unfair for movies that do get released this year in one way or the other.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

Looks like the academy is thinking there might not be an Oscars ceremony as well

https://deadline.com/2020/07/even-academy-warns-moviegoers-may-break-habit-1202995049

Early this month, even the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the ultimate film booster, quietly acknowledged that the movies may suffer very deep damage from the virus. In a July 3 posting of a disclosure document for its latest round of museum bonds, the Academy expanded a list of risk factors to include a potential “decrease of popularity of motion pictures, including by virtue of a slowdown in motion picture production on account of public health concerns.”

Noting that the next Oscar ceremony and the museum opening have already been delayed until next April, the risk warning added: “In the event the pandemic continues through the end of 2020 and the beginning of 2021, attendance and operation of the Academy Museum may be adversely affected and the broadcast of the Oscars may be affected, postponed, or cancelled.”

Let’s hope not.

On the bright side, old habits die hard. But if people do without the movies for another six months—books, dance videos, political strife are all diverting–they might learn to do without them altogether.

• Like 1

“In the event the pandemic continues through the end of 2020 and the beginning of 2021, attendance and operation of the Academy Museum may be adversely affected and the broadcast of the Oscars may be affected, postponed, or cancelled.”

does this mean they're thinking of cancelling the ceremony but keeping the awards event online? 

I thought they might consider merging the two years (2020/2021) into one before they consider a virtual event.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, RealLyre said:

counting 2020 and 2021 releases in one ceremony is something i would get behind right now, dunno if it already happened before in the history of the oscars,

The very first ceremony was for the best movies of the previous 2 years, I think that was the only time, even for WW2 the ceremonies continues to happen (with less budget, no metal/gold use for the statuette to respect the war effort and moments but still going pretty much as usual in term of winners and so on).

Has for the ceremony I wonder if a contract war will not be happening and with some bluff going on.

ABC pay I think $75 millions for it, I doubt they would want to pay that price if there is little movies and not a live presentation, but an empty/small crowd one, and vice versa the academy probably really need that money with the giant debt they accumulated recently.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I suspect even if the Oscars still happen it's gonna be a very scaled down event compared to the way it's always been done as big industry event with so many famous people in one room so announcing the winners via online might be the way they end up going. The Emmy awards (which are announcing its nominations this week) are still planning to air in September as usual so I guess we'll get a taste of how awards shows are gonna be done for this year if it sticks since they're all gonna be much smaller events than usual this year.

49 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

New predictions (rip Tenet):

Ammonite

Da 5 Bloods

The Father

The French Dispatch (I'm assuming this gets a release in the eligibility window)

Good Joe Bell

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

Soul

How to ensure the Oscars get less than 10M viewers in one easy step.

• Haha 2

i'll try again. half these movies might not come out but whatever

1. Soul

2. The Trial of the Chicago 7

3. Nomadland

4. Mank

5. News of the World 

6. Dune

7. Minari

8. Judas and the Black Messiah

9. The French Dispatch

10. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

it's crazy how Da 5 Bloods came and went by so quick and the only thing people remember from it is Delroy Lindo

I wouldn't rule out Tenet as an Interstellar tech only player just yet, it might still pull off an inception if it's a hit with audiences.

so for bp i think

1. Mank

2. Nomadland

3. Trial of the Chicago 7

4. News of the world.

5. Soul

6. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom 

7. Respect

8 .Dune

9. Tenet

10. Da 5 Bloods 

French Dispatch is most likely a 2021 title at this point since Searchlight are going with Nomadland instead this fall. maybe if they release it in Feb it could make it in.

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

it's crazy how Da 5 Bloods came and went by so quick and the only thing people remember from it is Delroy Lindo

One of the drawbacks of being a summer release in what feels like the longest year ever (especially with the deadline now extended by two months). Wouldn't rule out a possible resurrection but Netflix has their hands full in the next few months (I imagine they're about to announce their release schedule in the next few weeks like they did this time last year).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

New predictions (rip Tenet):

Ammonite

Da 5 Bloods

The Father

The French Dispatch (I'm assuming this gets a release in the eligibility window)

Good Joe Bell

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

Soul

I think if Tenet gets nominated it would be for Nolan's attempt to bring people back to theaters. Although, that could backfire, and they could choose to not nominate Tenet for that reason, especially it it bombs, and in the end, theaters don't open, and Tenet actually hastens their demise by creating a sense of false hope. Also, Tenet releasing in theaters has a sense of bad optics. But, hey, Disneyworld is open, and you don't see people hating on Disney.

Anyway, I think Tenet likely gets a nod no matter what.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

But, hey, Disneyworld is open, and you don't see people hating on Disney.

They've faced plenty of backlash for that, actually (although they'll be cutting hours next month due to sluggish attendance cause no one wants to visit a theme park in the midst of a pandemic).