filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

This sound ridiculous by moment, almost illegal in California, how would an employer know the sexuality of is employee he hired (why would anyone would want them to seek that information).

For studio movie it will be easy they will simply always have the D1 achieved clause of Audience development, marketing/publicity/distribution team are full of women and the film distributor and can always pass C2 I would imagine as well, making their hole slate eligible regardless of the actual movie released.

At least they seem clear that it will not include international movies, but that seem a new hurdle for small movies and the danger to put a giant asterix on all future best picture with minorities even when they will get in on their own merit and if no good movie wasn't eligible anyway (people will not follow all those details).

• Like 1

these criteria don't really seem that hard to meet so not sure why so many people are upset by them. even Joker would meet like 2 out of 4 categories. not sure about the audience development or industry access but they had 

Zazie Beetz as supporting for on-screen rep. (also the subject matter) and Hildur Guðnadóttir as composer for the creative behind the scenes criteria.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

these criteria don't really seem that hard to meet

For a studio sure (like you said regardless of the movie they could all start with 2 of 4 in, maybe that the rules are even irrelevant for them).

Imagine if a movie Locke was considered an American movie, would he be ineligible in the best picture category ?

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a studio sure (like you said regardless of the movie they could all start with 2 of 4 in, maybe that the rules are even irrelevant for them).

Imagine if a movie Locke was considered an American movie, would he be ineligible in the best picture category ?

Or the movie MOON

This is ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

the tom hardy one? it would pass standard B as it had a female editor and it was distributed by A24 so I imagine they had some diversity in the marketing department. and if they didn't they should. 

thinking back on these rules they seem too lenient to make an impact but still a step in the right direction I guess.

25 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

the tom hardy one? it would pass standard B as it had a female editor and it was distributed by A24 so I imagine they had some diversity in the marketing department. and if they didn't they should. 

Female editor is not enough, but I get the point that 2 department head will be common:

Casting Director, Cinematographer, Composer, Costume Designer, Director, Editor, Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Producer, Production Designer, Set Decorator, Sound, VFX Supervisor, Writer

Many of those like Casting, MakeUp, Hair is probably quite female/LGBTQ+ heavy.

If a film like Locke pass, then I am not sure there is much point to those rules.

This is fucking hilarious and even dumber than that Best Popular Movie category or whatever the hell that was. There's no possible way an honest to god diversity quota that does nothing will backfire or be seen as insulting tokenism. Great job Oscars, can't see you walking this one back either!

Is mental health a disability? Say someone with schizophrenia? Will they have to disclose their medical records to prove their disability? Isn't that illegal? This is such a ridiculous thing the Oscar came up with

Edited by Maggie

It is ridiculous to see diversity have to be guided in such manner.

Just recognize a person's talent before their skin colour, gender seem like a impossible  enough tasks for making a Mission Impossible 8. 

In an ideal world, a movie about a bunch of heterosexual white male(like the Irishman) deserve a equal marketplace, just like those LGBT movie, with people of colour in the center (Moonlight)

I hope this is a temporary measure to start-up the initiative because I hate the idea of pushing diversity artificially. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blankments said:

Sound of Metal

got scheduled for this year

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a shame, but Amazon will probably favor the campaign for One Night in Miami over this--broadly speaking, I mean. But Amazon could absolutely launch campaigns for Sound of Metal and target specific categories--those being Actor (Riz Ahmed) and Sound. One Night in Miami seems like an ensemble piece more than anything, so they could certainly try to get Ahmed into actor. And I've said it before, but Sound of Metal could be revolutionary as a "small film" that receives a slot in that Sound category.

In other good awards news, excellent choices for submissions to the International category are starting to emerge from the festivals. Neon (Parasite) acquired the rights to Night of the Kings from Ivory Coast. Then there's Apples from Greece, which is a huge festival hit, and there's also Tove, which is a biopic from Finland. If the Oscars happen, the International category is likely to have a lot of good films in it. Will there be another Parasite? Not this year. But the foreign films will be remarkable nonetheless.

• Like 1