google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

79 on metacritic is about what I expected for Mank. But if even critics are a bit alienated, I wonder how bad it's gonna be with the academy.

• Like 1

Hillbilly Elegy's reviews aren't just bad, they're downright scathing. Feels dead for any nominations anywhere now tbh. Better luck next time, Glenn and Amy.

I want to see how the two-month gap [between the end of 2020 and the end of eligibility] affects Hillbilly Elegy. I would be more confident in suggesting that Glenn Close could still get nominated if it were a normal year--since the timeframe would be quick, some Academy members wouldn't have time to think through their decision and consider whether it's the right one to make. I think that's what happened a bit with Green Book--not enough time for the more stubborn Academy members to think twice on it. And it's not just that Hillbilly Elegy's review are much, much worse--Academy members have two extra months to explore and discover alternate choices. And I think it'd be a crying shame if Academy members misused the extra time they have to parade around nominations for a film that doesn't deserve it.

I think the only category this film still looks solid in is the makeup one.

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

I want to see how the two-month gap [between the end of 2020 and the end of eligibility] affects Hillbilly Elegy. I would be more confident in suggesting that Glenn Close could still get nominated if it were a normal year--since the timeframe would be quick, some Academy members wouldn't have time to think through their decision and consider whether it's the right one to make. I think that's what happened a bit with Green Book--not enough time for the more stubborn Academy members to think twice on it. And it's not just that Hillbilly Elegy's review are much, much worse--Academy members have two extra months to explore and discover alternate choices. And I think it'd be a crying shame if Academy members misused the extra time they have to parade around nominations for a film that doesn't deserve it.

I think the only category this film still looks solid in is the makeup one.

This and Green Book don't seem comparable at all since that had pretty good reviews out the gate while this...does not, to put it kindly. The "This Had Oscar Buzz" Tumblr has gained a new member. Even The Prom is gonna be a bigger push for Netflix at this point, especially since it's likely winning the Comedy/Musical Golden Globe unless the reviews turn out bad.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This and Green Book don't seem comparable at all since that had pretty good reviews out the gate while this...does not, to put it kindly. The "This Had Oscar Buzz" Tumblr has gained a new member. Even The Prom is gonna be a bigger push for Netflix at this point, especially since it's likely winning the Comedy/Musical Golden Globe unless the reviews turn out bad.

Yeah, I think they're gonna dump Close and push Streep and Kidman for supporting actress instead.

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I think they're gonna dump Close and push Streep and Kidman for supporting actress instead.

Burstyn for Pieces of a Woman and Seyfried for Mank, too

The Prom acting category confirmations.

Meryl, Corden, and Jo Ellen Pellman will be placed in the Lead categories.

Nicole, Kerry, Keegan-Michael Key, Andrew Rannells, and Ariana DeBose will all be competing in their respective Supporting categories.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 3:23 AM, Cmasterclay said:

*jack nicholson nodding.gif"

On 10/25/2020 at 5:15 PM, 4815162342 said:

Calling Mank career-defining though doesn't jive, since it seems quite different from Fincher's career to date. It'd be more of career-expanding.

News of the World seems closer to encapsulating Greengrass' career on the other hand.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:43 PM, CoolioD1 said:

it's mank. a bunch of critics saw mank this past week. don't overthink it.

We were all looking at movies that are eligible for Oscars, and completely ignored the idea that he was talking about a film that isn't. Collin said it was Steve McQueen's Mangrove.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Ceremony news. Do we even need to bet that these plans won't stick?

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Having seen both Mank and Nomadland in the past 24 hours, I found the latter to be a much easier watch. Maybe the academy will feel differently because they might like Mank more because it's a talky drama more (although none of the dialogue is even that good) but I had a really hard time finishing it and wouldn't be surprised if many Academy voters felt the same way. Nomadland FTW I think now.

• Like 1

I think whatever wins this year, WB movies will be out. I don't see the Academy being happy with WB for their move and as a result, punishing their films. That goes for Tenet and any other potential WB contender.

13 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I think whatever wins this year, WB movies will be out. I don't see the Academy being happy with WB for their move and as a result, punishing their films. That goes for Tenet and any other potential WB contender.

Nah if Kaluuya goes supporting I can’t see him losing even with this hbo deal

On 12/5/2020 at 2:13 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Having seen both Mank and Nomadland in the past 24 hours, I found the latter to be a much easier watch. Maybe the academy will feel differently because they might like Mank more because it's a talky drama more (although none of the dialogue is even that good) but I had a really hard time finishing it and wouldn't be surprised if many Academy voters felt the same way. Nomadland FTW I think now.

Also Mank is a film about Hollywood..and that always counts for smething.

'News Of The World seems a strong contender.

Hillbilly ELegy is  a total bust.

One of the first regional precursor awards has announced their winners.

Spoiler

Winners and Runners-up for the Boston Society of Film Critics 2020 awards:

Best Picture: Nomadland (runner-up: First Cow)

Best Director: Chloé Zhao – Nomadland (runner-up: Kelly Reichardt – First Cow)

Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins – The Father (runner-up: Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal)

Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan – Never Rarely Sometimes Always (runner-up: Julia Garner – The Assistant)

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Raci – Sound of Metal (runner-up: Brian Dennehy – Driveways)

Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung – Minari (runner-up: Amanda Seyfried – Mank)

Best Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman – I’m Thinking of Ending Things (runner-up: Kelly Reichardt – First Cow)

Best Cinematography: Joshua James Richards – Nomadland (runner-up: Shabier Kirchner for Lovers Rock)

Best Documentary: Alexander Nanau – Collective (runner-up: Benjamin Ree – The Painter and the Thief)

Best Non-English Language Film: La Llorona (runner-up: The Painted Bird)

Best Animated Film: Wolf House – Cristóbal León and Joaquín Cociña (runner-up: Wolfwalkers – Tomm Moore and Ross Stewart)

Best Editing: Robert Frazen – I’m Thinking of Ending Things (runner-up: Chloé Zhao – Nomadland)

Best First Film: Florian Zeller – The Father (runner-up: Autumn de Wilde – Emma.)

Best Ensemble Cast: Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (runner-up: Minari)

Best Original Score: Emile Mosseri – Minari (runner-up: Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – Mank)

This is good for Sidney Flanigan and Paul Raci since they need precursors like this to increase their chances of getting nominated.

• Like 2

Flanigan gave the best movie performance of the year I think but I'm still skeptical of her getting anywhere outside of critics awards. Her performance is too subdued to go further than that. Raci though has a pretty good shot (easily a bigger contender than other names I've seen thrown around like Tucci).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, filmlover said:

Will Soderbergh's multiple personalities be joining too?