filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Confused by the influx of people thinking that Minari will be a big contender and not only will get a BP nom but also a Director nom. The movie has been doing pretty mediocre in regional awards and televised/industry awards aren't gonna care about the film. This is shaping up to be another The Farewell.

Honestly feels like COVID pretty much killed whatever momentum it might have had coming out of Sundance last January (which feels like 100 years ago at this point) even though they've tried with the Variety cover story and other attempts at reigniting interest.

• Like 2

So, most of the important potential contenders for this year that I've seen so far have made this season feel really dissapointing, not that those are bad films, but I feel like I've seen nothing new, the same messages about racism and injustice that we've seen in tons of films before, and many films dealing with the same subjects and using similar formulas. I feel like this year's award season has focused so much on delivering strong and relevant messages for today's society through character studies that they forgot to actually deliver some story or bringing something different to the table, that they end up being completely predictable films. I know this has been a weak year due to COVID and many films had to be postponed, but imo there were some great films with great reviews that somehow got completely overlook this year, like The Gentlemen, Clouds or Uncle Frank, those would've probably added some variety into this season.

Anyways, here's my rank of the potential contenders I've seen so far:

1. Soul 

2. Sound of metal (The only films that actually care to tell a story and to add something different to the table, and sadly, the least likely to get nominated)

3. The trial of Chicago 7 (Interesting film, nice acting, but yet, completely predictable and not very different from other trial films, basically just relevant because of the huge cast and the associationg with 2020's riots)

4. One Night in Miami

5. Ma. Rainey's Black Bottom

6. Mank

• Like 1

Da 5 Blood is a very interesting contender. On one hand, it seems to be having a nice resurgence (won NBR yesterday) and could even be Netflix's frontrunner for BP but it also has some of the worst (if not the worst) audience scores for a major Best Picture contender. It seems like a very, very divisive film and I'm not sure if the Academy is going to like it. 

Also thinking The Father and News of the World are close to being out of the race. Hard to really tell at this point without any televised awards yet, which these two films are clearly going for, but SPC doing an abysmal job with campaigning the former and the latter doesn't seem to have the kind of audience scores a crowd-pleasing dad film like this should have. Much, much worse than Ford v Ferrari, which seemed like an apt comparison. They're also worse than something like Sully (also starring Hanks) which didn't even manage to get a BP nom either. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Da 5 Blood is a very interesting contender. On one hand, it seems to be having a nice resurgence (won NBR yesterday) and could even be Netflix's frontrunner for BP but it also has some of the worst (if not the worst) audience scores for a major Best Picture contender. It seems like a very, very divisive film and I'm not sure if the Academy is going to like it. 

Also thinking The Father and News of the World are close to being out of the race. Hard to really tell at this point without any televised awards yet, which these two films are clearly going for, but SPC doing an abysmal job with campaigning the former and the latter doesn't seem to have the kind of audience scores a crowd-pleasing dad film like this should have. Much, much worse than Ford v Ferrari, which seemed like an apt comparison. They're also worse than something like Sully (also starring Hanks) which didn't even manage to get a BP nom either. 

Hasn't News of the World been doing rather well on PVOD though? Seems more popular than everything else that's been released from Universal/Focus in the pandemic era so far (aside from the animated titles, of course).

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hasn't News of the World been doing rather well on PVOD though? Seems more popular than everything else that's been released from Universal/Focus in the pandemic era so far (aside from the animated titles, of course).

It's doing well on PVOD (don't think it's ever been no.1 on those charts though) but WoM seems just ok. Imdb and RT audience scores are lower than something like FvF and Green Book. 

Next week gonna be pretty big for this year's race. Probably the most important until the 2nd week of March:

Judas and the Black Messiah Sundance premiere/review embargo

Golden Globes noms

SAG noms

Critics Choice noms

These 4 things could easily change the course of the race by next week. There's also the Cherry review embargo lifting which will be fun to watch for the lolz.

• Like 2

So the WGA screenwriting award has a lot of stingent eligibility requirements, and it means that of this year's major screenplay competitiors are out of that race. Films out of the race include Mank, Minari, Nomadland, The Father, Soul, Pieces of a Woman, Ammonite, the David Copperfield one, and other films. So with a lot of films off the table, the race becomes a little more interesting because it allows some others to break in.

WGA: Original Screenplay

The definites are:

- Promising Young Woman

- The Trial of the Chicago 7

And there's a lot of ways they could go with the last three spots, which very well could have gone to Mank, Minari, and Soul. There's Da 5 Bloods, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, Judas and the Black Messiah, Sound of Metal... I definitely have my eye on this race.

WGA: Adapted Screenplay

The definites are:

- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

- One Night in Miami

And First Cow, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, the second Borat film, News of the World, and others are still in the race. I hope The White Tiger sneaks in.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see if Judas ends up leaving Trial in the dust considering that it's also a political, relevant story but it seems like it's also a lot more showy (could end up taking the last Directing spot) and more crowdpleasing. The HFPA supposedly loves Trial though and I'm not sure if Judas will do well with either the HFPA or SAG (more likely to be nominated with the former than the latter) since they got screeners late, but it's first major play could be the Critics Choice awards later this week. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Will be interesting to see if Judas ends up leaving Trial in the dust considering that it's also a political, relevant story but it seems like it's also a lot more showy (could end up taking the last Directing spot) and more crowdpleasing. The HFPA supposedly loves Trial though and I'm not sure if Judas will do well with either the HFPA or SAG (more likely to be nominated with the former than the latter) since they got screeners late, but it's first major play could be the Critics Choice awards later this week. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be too much stock in whispers about HFPA buzz. At the end of the day, they're gonna nominate what - and who - they want to nominate (which is why I'm fully expecting James Corden to get nominated for his dreadful The Prom performance tomorrow morning, especially with how tragically barren the Comedy/Musical categories are this year).

• Like 1

Golden Globe Noms: What They Mean for the Oscars

I'll jump right in with Best Picture and say that The FatherNomadland, and The Trial of the Chicago 7 all felt locked in to some degree, but Mank and Promising Young Woman have really been boosted thanks to their nominations. Mank could very well have been snubbed if the HFPA decided they didn't care for it, but it's Promising Young Woman that has newly emerged as a legitimate competitor.

Everything in Director benefits from their nomination. It's really starting to look like Emerald Fennell will be nominated, and I couldn't be happier about that. I want to see if what happened to Bradley Cooper will happen to Regina King--we'll have to see--but there's no denying she deserves it, too.

I really hope the Academy doesn't snub Delroy Lindo too... But I've heard great things about Tahar Rahim's performance; it sounds like he deserved to get in, and the nomination certainly doesn't hurt Rahim.

For actress, Davis, Kirby, McDormand, and Mulligan all feel pretty safe. Andra Day definitely gets a boost. Zendaya might not be a thing. And I wonder if Michelle Pfeiffer and Rosamund Pike will get more eyes on their performances now. Their nominations certainly don't hurt them.

Bill Murray needed this nomination to revive his momentum, and he got it. Apple has the money to propel him, and that might be what gets him in. Cohen and Kaluuya seem safe. Odom Jr. surviving the "Ben-Adir's supporting too" conundrum is also notable. Those four all feel safe, but it's clear that Jared Leto's fifth slot will go to someone else. Well... we at least hope so.

Supporting Actress is weak this year, but their nominees still aren't very good. Colman and Seyfried feel safe. Close... The performance itself warrants it, to say the least. Jodie Foster and Helena Zengel both get a boost from this. But watch out for Maria Bakalova. If she gets nominated for the Oscar, I think Bakalova could actually win it.

All their screenplay choices feel locked for the Oscars. For foreign, Another Round feels like a shoo-in. The Life Ahead and Minari won't be eligible, but La Llorona and Two of Us both get a boost and will be in a good position if they make the Oscar shortlist. We know a Golden Globes nomination doesn't guarantee that because Atlantics didn't even make the shortlist last year. Animation... Just throw the Croods a bone at this point. Those five are fine. No one will bat an eye.

And yeah, those are all my thoughts!

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2

How I'm feeling rn:

1. Nomadland

2. Minari

3. The Trial of the Chicago 7

4. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

5. Da 5 Bloods

6. The Father

7. News of the World

8. Promising Young Woman

9. One Night in Miami

---------------------

10. Judas and the Black Messiah

11. Soul

12. Sound of Metal

13. Mank

14. The Mauritanian

15. First Cow

I think 1-4 are locked and feel pretty confident in 5-6, but everything between 7-13 is pretty close. 

• Like 1

26th Annual Critic's Choice Film Nominations

(plus my commentary in parentheses and italics)

Spoiler

BEST PICTURE

Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

Mank (Netflix)

Minari (A24)

News of the World (Universal Pictures)

Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)

One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

(they snubbed The Father and Judas)

BEST ACTOR

Ben Affleck – The Way Back (Warner Bros.)

Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)

Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

Tom Hanks – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

Anthony Hopkins – The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)

Delroy Lindo – Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Gary Oldman – Mank (Netflix)

Steven Yeun – Minari (A24)

(they snubbed Tahar Rahim)

BEST ACTRESS

Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

Andra Day – The United States vs. Billie Holiday (Hulu)

Sidney Flanigan – Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Focus Features)

Vanessa Kirby – Pieces of a Woman (Netflix)

Frances McDormand – Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)

Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

Zendaya – Malcolm & Marie (Netflix)

(Flanigan reemerges. No Sophia Loren.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Chadwick Boseman – Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Sacha Baron Cohen – The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)

Bill Murray – On the Rocks (A24/Apple TV+)

Leslie Odom, Jr. – One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

Paul Raci – Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)

(No Jared Leto, what a shame...)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Maria Bakalova – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Amazon Studios)

Ellen Burstyn – Pieces of a Woman (Netflix)

Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix)

Olivia Colman – The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)

Amanda Seyfried – Mank (Netflix)

Yuh-Jung Youn – Minari (A24)

(Burstyn reemerges. Fishback snubbed.)

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS

Ryder Allen – Palmer (Apple TV+)

Ibrahima Gueye – The Life Ahead (Netflix)

Alan Kim – Minari (A24)

Talia Ryder – Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Focus Features)

Caoilinn Springall – The Midnight Sky (Netflix)

Helena Zengel – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

(Zengel likely to win; Kim has a shot.)

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE

Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)

Minari (A24)

One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

(they snubbed Mank)

BEST DIRECTOR

Lee Isaac Chung – Minari (A24)

Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

David Fincher – Mank (Netflix)

Spike Lee – Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Regina King – One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

Aaron Sorkin – The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Chloé Zhao – Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)

(it's between these seven directors now)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Lee Isaac Chung – Minari (A24)

Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

Jack Fincher – Mank (Netflix)

Eliza Hittman – Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Focus Features)

Darius Marder & Abraham Marder – Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)

Aaron Sorkin – The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

(no Da 5 Bloods, no Judas)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Paul Greengrass & Luke Davies – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller – The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)

Kemp Powers – One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

Jon Raymond & Kelly Reichardt – First Cow (A24)

Ruben Santiago-Hudson – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

(Ending Things' absence speaks volumes)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Christopher Blauvelt – First Cow (A24)

Erik Messerschmidt – Mank (Netflix)

Lachlan Milne – Minari (A24)

Joshua James Richards – Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)

Newton Thomas Sigel – Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Hoyte Van Hoytema – Tenet (Warner Bros.)

Dariusz Wolski – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

(Judas snubbed again)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Cristina Casali, Charlotte Dirickx – The Personal History of David Copperfield (Searchlight Pictures)

David Crank, Elizabeth Keenan – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas – Tenet (Warner Bros.)

Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale – Mank (Netflix)

Kave Quinn, Stella Fox – Emma (Focus Features)

Mark Ricker, Karen O’Hara & Diana Stoughton – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

BEST EDITING

Alan Baumgarten – The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Kirk Baxter – Mank (Netflix)

Jennifer Lame – Tenet (Warner Bros.)

Yorgos Lamprinos – The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)

Mikkel E. G. Nielsen – Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)

(Sound of Metal is a pleasant surprise)

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Alexandra Byrne – Emma (Focus Features)

Bina Daigeler – Mulan (Disney)

Suzie Harman & Robert Worley – The Personal History of David Copperfield (Searchlight Pictures)

Ann Roth – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)

Nancy Steiner – Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

Trish Summerville – Mank (Netflix)

BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP

Emma (Focus Features)

Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix)

Mank (Netflix)

Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)

The United States vs. Billie Holiday (Hulu)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Greyhound (Apple TV+)

The Invisible Man (Universal Pictures)

Mank (Netflix)

The Midnight Sky (Netflix)

Mulan (Disney)

Tenet (Warner Bros.)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner Bros.)

BEST COMEDY

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Amazon Studios)

The Forty-Year-Old Version (Netflix)

The King of Staten Island (Universal Pictures)

On the Rocks (A24/Apple TV+)

Palm Springs (Hulu and NEON)

The Prom (Netflix)

(See, Globes? It's not so hard.)

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Another Round (Samuel Goldwyn Films)

Collective (Magnolia Pictures)

La Llorona (Shudder)

The Life Ahead (Netflix)

Minari (A24)

Two of Us (Magnolia Pictures)

(Round, Two, and Llorona repeat from Globes.

Collective affirms frontrunner status.)

BEST SONG

Everybody Cries – The Outpost (Screen Media Films)

Fight for You – Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)

Husavik (My Home Town) – Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (Netflix)

Io sì (Seen) – The Life Ahead (Netflix)

Speak Now – One Night in Miami (Amazon Studios)

Tigress & Tweed – The United States vs. Billie Holiday (Hulu)

BEST SCORE

Alexandre Desplat – The Midnight Sky (Netflix)

Ludwig Göransson – Tenet (Warner Bros.)

James Newton Howard – News of the World (Universal Pictures)

Emile Mosseri – Minari (A24)

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste – Mank (Netflix)

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – Soul (Disney)

• Like 1

Out of these, one probably won't make it in and I feel like it will be Da 5 Bloods. The Father or Judas might replace another film on here in the final lineup too, if they're going with 9 noms this year. WB's campaign for Judas has been awful and I don't have much confidence in the movie anymore outside of Kaluuya, but maybe its release this week will change things (helps that there's still a lot of time till voting begins). The Father should also start faring better after its performance last week.

• Like 1

93rd Academy Award Shortlists

Spoiler

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE 

“All In: The Fight for Democracy”
“Boys State”
“Collective”
“Crip Camp”
“Dick Johnson Is Dead”
“Gunda”
“MLK/FBI”
“The Mole Agent”
“My Octopus Teacher”
“Notturno”
“The Painter and the Thief”
“76 Days”
“Time”
“The Truffle Hunters”
“Welcome to Chechnya”

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

“Abortion Helpline, This Is Lisa”
“Call Center Blues”
“Colette”
“A Concerto Is a Conversation”
“Do Not Split”
“Hunger Ward”
“Hysterical Girl”
“A Love Song for Latasha”
“The Speed Cubers”
“What Would Sophia Loren Do?”

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

Bosnia and Herzegovina, “Quo Vadis, Aida?”
Chile, “The Mole Agent”
Czech Republic, “Charlatan”
Denmark, “Another Round”
France, “Two of Us”
Guatemala, “La Llorona”
Hong Kong, “Better Days”
Iran, “Sun Children”
Ivory Coast, “Night of the Kings”
Mexico, “I’m No Longer Here”
Norway, “Hope”
Romania, “Collective”
Russia, “Dear Comrades!”
Taiwan, “A Sun”
Tunisia, “The Man Who Sold His Skin”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

“Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn”
“Emma”
“The Glorias”
“Hillbilly Elegy”
“Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
“The Little Things”
“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
“Mank”
“One Night in Miami...”
“Pinocchio”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

Dustin O'Halloran and Volker Bertelmann, “Ammonite”
Lolita Ritmanis, “Blizzard of Souls”
Terence Blanchard, “Da 5 Bloods”
Benjamin Wallfisch, “The Invisible Man”
John Debney, “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
Gabriel Yared, “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
Thomas Newman, “The Little Things”
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, “Mank”
Alexandre Desplat, “The Midnight Sky”
Emile Mosseri, “Minari”
Henry Gregson-Williams, “Mulan”
James Newton Howard, “News of the World”
Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross, “Soul”
Ludwig Göransson, “Tenet”
Daniel Pemberton, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

“Turntables” from “All In: The Fight for Democracy”
“See What You’ve Done” from “Belly of the Beast”
“Wuhan Flu” from “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”
“Husavik” from “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga”
“Never Break” from “Giving Voice”
“Make It Work” from “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
“Fight For You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah”
“lo Sì (Seen)” from “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
“Rain Song” from “Minari”
“Show Me Your Soul” from “Mr. Soul!”
“Loyal Brave True” from “Mulan”
“Free” from “The One and Only Ivan”
“Speak Now” from “One Night in Miami...”
“Green” from “Sound of Metal”
“Hear My Voice” from “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

“Burrow”
“Genius Loci”
“If Anything Happens I Love You”
“Kapaemahu”
“Opera”
“Out”
“The Snail and the Whale”
“To Gerard”
“Traces”
“Yes-People”

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

“Bittu”
“Da Yie”
“Feeling Through”
“The Human Voice”
“The Kicksled Choir”
“The Letter Room”
“The Present”
“Two Distant Strangers”
“The Van”
“White Eye” 

VISUAL EFFECTS

“Bloodshot”
“Love and Monsters”
“Mank”
“The Midnight Sky”
“Mulan”
“The One and Only Ivan”
“Soul”
“Tenet”
“Welcome to Chechnya”

On 2/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, SLAM! said:

93rd Academy Award Shortlists

Spoiler
  Hide contents

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE 

“All In: The Fight for Democracy”
“Boys State”
“Collective”
“Crip Camp”
“Dick Johnson Is Dead”
“Gunda”
“MLK/FBI”
“The Mole Agent”
“My Octopus Teacher”
“Notturno”
“The Painter and the Thief”
“76 Days”
“Time”
“The Truffle Hunters”
“Welcome to Chechnya”

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

“Abortion Helpline, This Is Lisa”
“Call Center Blues”
“Colette”
“A Concerto Is a Conversation”
“Do Not Split”
“Hunger Ward”
“Hysterical Girl”
“A Love Song for Latasha”
“The Speed Cubers”
“What Would Sophia Loren Do?”

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM

Bosnia and Herzegovina, “Quo Vadis, Aida?”
Chile, “The Mole Agent”
Czech Republic, “Charlatan”
Denmark, “Another Round”
France, “Two of Us”
Guatemala, “La Llorona”
Hong Kong, “Better Days”
Iran, “Sun Children”
Ivory Coast, “Night of the Kings”
Mexico, “I’m No Longer Here”
Norway, “Hope”
Romania, “Collective”
Russia, “Dear Comrades!”
Taiwan, “A Sun”
Tunisia, “The Man Who Sold His Skin”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

“Emma”
“The Glorias”
“Hillbilly Elegy”
“Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
“The Little Things”
“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
“Mank”
“One Night in Miami...”
“Pinocchio”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

Dustin O'Halloran and Volker Bertelmann, “Ammonite”
Lolita Ritmanis, “Blizzard of Souls”
Terence Blanchard, “Da 5 Bloods”
Benjamin Wallfisch, “The Invisible Man”
John Debney, “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
Gabriel Yared, “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
Thomas Newman, “The Little Things”
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, “Mank”
Alexandre Desplat, “The Midnight Sky”
Emile Mosseri, “Minari”
Henry Gregson-Williams, “Mulan”
James Newton Howard, “News of the World”
Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross, “Soul”
Ludwig Göransson, “Tenet”
Daniel Pemberton, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

“Turntables” from “All In: The Fight for Democracy”
“See What You’ve Done” from “Belly of the Beast”
“Wuhan Flu” from “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”
“Husavik” from “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga”
“Never Break” from “Giving Voice”
“Make It Work” from “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
“Fight For You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah”
“lo Sì (Seen)” from “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
“Rain Song” from “Minari”
“Show Me Your Soul” from “Mr. Soul!”
“Loyal Brave True” from “Mulan”
“Free” from “The One and Only Ivan”
“Speak Now” from “One Night in Miami...”
“Green” from “Sound of Metal”
“Hear My Voice” from “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

“Burrow”
“Genius Loci”
“If Anything Happens I Love You”
“Kapaemahu”
“Opera”
“Out”
“The Snail and the Whale”
“To Gerard”
“Traces”
“Yes-People”

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

“Bittu”
“Da Yie”
“Feeling Through”
“The Human Voice”
“The Kicksled Choir”
“The Letter Room”
“The Present”
“Two Distant Strangers”
“The Van”
“White Eye” 

VISUAL EFFECTS

“Bloodshot”
“Love and Monsters”
“Mank”
“The Midnight Sky”
“Mulan”
“The One and Only Ivan”
“Soul”
“Tenet”
“Welcome to Chechnya”

i always hate the idea of shortlisting the film in these categories. This will just further kill and at least filter the suspense during nomination morning.  If they really need a shortlist, they can just keep the list to themselves ( member in each branch).

Oscar's nomination announcement has become less and less suspenseful in the past few years, it feel more like a reiteration of what other bodies think. 

In 80s and 90s , BAFTA nomination list had so little similarities with Oscar but now BAFTA have become a primary sources of predicting the race. Even the choices from Cannes and Venice have started to converge with Oscar

• Like 1