filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The main juried categories are pretty much useless precursors here and likely won't impact the race. I still fully expect Carey Mulligan to win the Oscar even if she didn't get nominated here. Awful performance for Tenet and Mank in the tech categories (not juried) and that probably means the former might as well end up missing everything besides VFX and the latter is in the bottom 5 of BP noms.

SAG not even nominating Tenet's stunt ensemble for that category was proof that no one was gonna be here for it at all (especially when Nolan's films already have a history of underperforming on nomination morning and this one was divisive even among his fanbase). In a normal year full of big tentpoles it would be dead for even a Visual Effects nom.

Getting the feeling Mank ends up missing the cut for Best Picture. It's clearly not very strong at all. I guess Benjamin Button and The Social Network were just Oscar flukes for Fincher (and not a sign that they had fully welcomed him with open arms).

Edited by filmlover

DGA 

Lee Isaac Chung

Minari

(A24)

Mr. Chung’s Directorial Team:

Unit Production Manager: Dylan Brodie

First Assistant Director: Jeff Dubray

Second Assistant Director: Ann Laudick

Second Second Assistant Director: Stephen J. Hanan

Emerald Fennell

Promising Young Woman

(Focus Features)

Ms. Fennell’s Directorial Team:

Unit Production Manager: Reena Magsarili Raasch

First Assistant Director: Michael T. Meador

Second Assistant Director: Alexander Armero

Second Second Assistant Director: Anthony Manzo

David Fincher

Mank

(Netflix)

Mr. Fincher’s Directorial Team:

Unit Production Manager: Allen Kupetsky

First Assistant Director: Richard Goodwin

Second Assistant Director: Samantha McGrady

Second Second Assistant Director: Matt McKinnon

Additional Second Assistant Directors: Jeff Goodell, John Stern, George Williams III

Aaron Sorkin

The Trial of the Chicago 7

(Netflix; DreamWorks Pictures)

Mr. Sorkin’s Directorial Team:

Unit Production Managers: Charles Miller, Stuart M. Besser, Jonathan Shoemaker

First Assistant Director: Joseph P. Reidy

Second Assistant Director: Rachel Jaros

Second Second Assistant Director: Justin Bischoff

Location Managers: Dennis Voskov, Nick Rafferty (Chicago Unit)

Chloé Zhao

Nomadland

(Searchlight Pictures)

Ms. Zhao’s Directorial Team:

Unit Production Manager: Mary Kerrigan

First Assistant Director: Mary Kerrigan

Outstanding Directorial Achievement of a First-Time Feature Film Director:

Pretty predictable list. I wonder who gets replaced by another director (someone here probably gonna be switched with someone between Marder, Zeller, and either of the two Kings, in that order).

Edited by lorddemaxus

On 3/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, filmlover said:

SAG not even nominating Tenet's stunt ensemble for that category was proof that no one was gonna be here for it at all (especially when Nolan's films already have a history of underperforming on nomination morning and this one was divisive even among his fanbase). In a normal year full of big tentpoles it would be dead for even a Visual Effects nom.

Getting the feeling Mank ends up missing the cut for Best Picture. It's clearly not very strong at all. I guess Benjamin Button and The Social Network were just Oscar flukes for Fincher (and not a sign that they had fully welcomed him with open arms).

Back in January, I was on the Mank missing train, but I think there's too much tech support for it to miss (Sorkin could also be the DGA snub if it's not Fincher/they don't go 5/5). The SAG and BAFTA underperformances make me think no acting noms for it though. Mikkelsen or Rahim will take Oldman's spot in Actor.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

ACE:

Drama:

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

Sound of Metal

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Comedy:

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm

I Care a Lot

On the Rocks

Palm Springs

Promising Young Woman

The Father has officially missed every guild except SAG (and a first-time DGA nomination).

• Like 1

The Trial of the Chicago 7, Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm , Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Judas and the Black Messiah 

Just what's wrong with this Oscar season? why do we have some many contenders with these long name? 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

I really wish Gleen Close can be nominated in Oscar for her role in Hillbilly Elegy because this will be make the rare matching between Oscar and Razzie awards since Close was nominated there for Elegy too.

I know Sandra Bullock "achieved" the same feat too years ago but at least that was for different role in different films