filmlover

Best Picture Predictions - 2020

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This could also go the other way round if Oscar really want to award the film that revive the cinematic experience.  

After Joker was nominated last year, the next step is Wonder Woman 1984 winning Best Picture.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

This could also go the other way round if Oscar really want to award the film that revive the cinematic experience.  

If Dune miraculously releases in 2020, it's gonna be a front-runner Return of the King style...

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

The CA Governor feels theaters and other such venues won't open till a vaccine is found. That can mean we have seen the last theatrical release for this year already.

if that stays on until next year, they gonna cancel the Oscars or allow Netflix/Apple (& other streaming) films to be eligible without a theatrical release I bet 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they'll probably cancel the oscars in that scenario because they wouldn't be allowed to actually hold the Oscars at their usual venue. unless we get people accepting Oscars on Zoom it's not happening.

I said this in the COVID-19 thread but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the Emmys this year (the delayed Tony Awards as well but it wouldn't be surprising if that gets scrapped this year and next year's show will cover two years). Even if things reopen by September (when the ceremony is usually held), it won't be the big event with hundreds of people from the industry that are usually there. And if they do have a ceremony, I fully expect they'll be keeping everyone spaced out from each other (instead of the usual "so and so is sitting next to so and so" seating assignments) and whoever doesn't feel safe attending won't go, especially those outside LA (those who win and aren't there will just accept their awards in the mail and upload their thank you speeches to social media).

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they'll probably cancel the oscars in that scenario because they wouldn't be allowed to actually hold the Oscars at their usual venue. unless we get people accepting Oscars on Zoom it's not happening.

Glenn Close will probably accept it however she can get it.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:20 PM, RealLyre said:

if that stays on until next year, they gonna cancel the Oscars or allow Netflix/Apple (& other streaming) films to be eligible without a theatrical release I bet 

I've been listening to a few podcasts about Best Picture races of the past and those have reminded me that the earliest Oscars weren't strictly based on a calendar year. It was basically an August to July span, with the ceremony many months later. The 6th Academy Awards had a 17-month eligibility period (August 1, 1932 to December 31, 1933). If the Academy is really reluctant about changing the streaming rules or having a socially distanced ceremony, they might consider a temporary adjustment to the eligibility period. Who knows if ABC's contract with AMPAS would even allow them to postpone the Oscars for months, though...

34 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I've been listening to a few podcasts about Best Picture races of the past and those have reminded me that the earliest Oscars weren't strictly based on a calendar year. It was basically an August to July span, with the ceremony many months later. The 6th Academy Awards had a 17-month eligibility period (August 1, 1932 to December 31, 1933). If the Academy is really reluctant about changing the streaming rules or having a socially distanced ceremony, they might consider a temporary adjustment to the eligibility period. Who knows if ABC's contract with AMPAS would even allow them to postpone the Oscars for months, though...

Honestly with LA looking to say no to mass gatherings of hundreds (which is what all awards shows are) for the rest of the year at least, we might end up seeing the Golden Globes go the press conference route again like they did when the strike happened and the Oscars possibly joining everyone else unless they decide to hold the ceremony in another state where the rules might be more relaxed by then. Too bad since it'll rob us of the real time reactions/speeches but not sure what else can really be done under the circumstances.

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly with LA looking to say no to mass gatherings of hundreds (which is what all awards shows are) for the rest of the year at least, we might end up seeing the Golden Globes go the press conference route again like they did when the strike happened and the Oscars possibly joining everyone else unless they decide to hold the ceremony in another state where the rules might be more relaxed by then. Too bad since it'll rob us of the real time reactions/speeches but not sure what else can really be done under the circumstances.

And even if they have the Globes/Oscars in Jan/Feb outside of LA, would stars want to attend? Would it be bad PR if they did? And if it's just a press conference...It's one thing to have a talk show via Zoom but the Oscars? And the year the Golden Globes didn't do a ceremony, everyone forgets who won that year (even more than usual).

I really think Oscars could put off the ceremony, it was routinely in late March, even in the 2000s. They even had it in April a few times  Sure, the date's been announced for next February, but there's a pandemic and the TV schedule will still be in flux and not back to "normal" early next year. A network would be able to deal with an awards show airing a month or two later than originally scheduled.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

And even if they have the Globes/Oscars in Jan/Feb outside of LA, would stars want to attend? Would it be bad PR if they did? And if it's just a press conference...It's one thing to have a talk show via Zoom but the Oscars? And the year the Golden Globes didn't do a ceremony, everyone forgets who won that year (even more than usual).

I really think Oscars could put off the ceremony, it was routinely in late March, even in the 2000s. They even had it in April a few times  Sure, the date's been announced for next February, but there's a pandemic and the TV schedule will still be in flux and not back to "normal" early next year. A network would be able to deal with an awards show airing a month or two later than originally scheduled.

I think by that point everyone would rather just accept their awards in the mail but we'll have to wait and see what the world looks like by then to see if the show can go on like it usually does.

Personally I just don't see the point of Award shows or film festivals going online or press conference at least the big ones. Cannes and Venice and the Oscars with all its percusors are an entire ecosystem to launch or promote the movies they are rewarding and without the red carpets, reaction videos, minor scandals and viral moments would anyone beside movie fans that already know the movies care? There's still the precedent of the Globes during the writers strike. But the entire season being press conferences? They 'll probably cancel or postpone it altogether before that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think by that point everyone would rather just accept their awards in the mail but we'll have to wait and see what the world looks like by then to see if the show can go on like it usually does.

Some of these stars would show up to the opening of an envelope. A lot of the cringiest celebrity quarantine content has been from celebrities not having any sort of spotlight for a few weeks and going stir crazy as a result. The Oscars would always have montages celebrating moviegoing and film history, even before all this. Post pandemic, you will get a push of the sentiment that (in terms of the arts) film festivals/award shows are more important than ever. Once this is all over, some stars will be absolutely thrilled to be on a red carpet again...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl