filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2020

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Cherry's acquisition by Apple will be very fruitful (no pun intended) for Tom Holland. It had been previously thought that Cherry would be on Netflix, and they have a bunch of peopleto campaign for--but Apple can focus their efforts on Tom Holland in a way they can't. So Tom Holland's chances are much better now.

Best Actor this year is actually pretty strong this year imo, so I don't think he has a chance even if Apple tries their hardest. Actors as young as Holland rarely get nominated for Best Actor anyways (only ones from the last couple of years I can think of are Timmy Chalamet and Jesse Eisenberg).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Thinking Eddie Redmayne goes for lead. Hard to decide though. It's between Redmayne, Rylance, and Cohen. But I personally did feel like Redmayne was the lead in this.

I think it's a Ford v. Ferrari situation. Whoever goes lead will have a tough time gaining traction in a surprisingly competitive field, much like Christian Bale did. I think Eddie Redmayne is probably the easiest to sell as a leading actor in this case. I haven't seen the film yet, but from first impressions, I'd say Redmayne has the edge for lead.

I thought Redmayne gave his best performance yet but it's hard for me to say he's the sole lead, as the movie juggles a bunch of different characters throughout. He felt like a piece in a larger puzzle based off my first viewing. I could see Sacha and Rylance competing and sure Redmayne is more popular than Rylance but maybe a bit too popular? The academy might try and pivot towards Sacha more since he's gotten one nomination (for writing) before and I could see people being very happy with him getting the win, he was the most charismatic of the bunch.

• Like 1

I'm almost wondering if Redmayne's comments on the controversy surrounding J.K. Rowling ends up helping or hurting his chances. It could help because his responses were classy and well-worded. It could hurt because he did state that the backlash itself [against Rowling] was "disgusting"--which I get what he means, but I understand why people would be mad. This year is competitive for the category, and the comment might play a factor in his chances. But I think that if Scarlett Johansson could defend Woody Allen and still get nominated twice, Redmayne is probably okay.

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I'm almost wondering if Redmayne's comments on the controversy surrounding J.K. Rowling ends up helping or hurting his chances. It could help because his responses were classy and well-worded. It could hurt because he did state that the backlash itself [against Rowling] was "disgusting"--which I get what he means, but I understand why people would be mad. This year is competitive for the category, and the comment might play a factor in his chances. But I think that if Scarlett Johansson could defend Woody Allen and still get nominated twice, Redmayne is probably okay.

Last year, Scarlett Johansson said she'd work with Woody Allen again and she got two acting nominations. If Redmayne misses, I doubt it will have anything to do with his comments about JK Rowling. I do think he will be pushed so he won't compete with the movie's Supporting Actor contenders.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I do think he will be pushed so he won't compete with the movie's Supporting Actor contenders.

I'm still not sure entirely sure Chicago 7  has a solid lead role, like I said in an earlier post the film juggles around multiple cast members fairly well. The supporting actor nominations could be filled by nearly everybody there though.

• Like 1

A24 putting Yeun down for Actor is just a bad decision, considering how stacked it is (Oldman, Hopkins, Boseman, Lindo, one of the actors from Trial, Tom Hanks, Kaluuya are all more likely contenders). Should've gone for supporting because it's kinda empty now and he probably would've been nominated.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A24 putting Yeun down for Actor is just a bad decision, considering how stacked it is (Oldman, Hopkins, Boseman, Lindo, one of the actors from Trial, Tom Hanks, Kaluuya are all more likely contenders). Should've gone for supporting because it's kinda empty now and he probably would've been nominated.

yeah my thoughts as well, especially when the little boy is the lead and the parents are just co-leads so Yeun could've worked as supporting. the movie is also mostly in korean (like at least 80% of it ) so that doesn't help with the AMPAS.  Antonio Banderas got nominated last year but his performance was undeniable and in Minari the boy and the grandma got the most bait-y material. 

although it was one of the best A24 movies I've seen (like top 3) so I wouldn't underestimate it for a bp nom and but the odds don't look too good for it in other categories now that they wasted a supporting nomination. 

imo they should put it on Apple TV+ and make it Apple's main push for the Oscars.

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

I'm actually starting to think that Steven Yeun has a better chance in Best Actor than some might realize. I mean, I do hesitate to say that he's top five, but the lead push feels purposeful. Multiple articles are pegging Yeun as someone who could become the first Asian American lead actor nominee--that's a strong narrative, and it gets him in the top ten at least. I don't want the Academy to vote him in just because he's Asian, but primarily because he's brilliant in it--and word is, he is brilliant. So yeah!

On 10/26/2020 at 2:21 AM, SLAM! said:

I'm actually starting to think that Steven Yeun has a better chance in Best Actor than some might realize. I mean, I do hesitate to say that he's top five, but the lead push feels purposeful. Multiple articles are pegging Yeun as someone who could become the first Asian American lead actor nominee--that's a strong narrative, and it gets him in the top ten at least. I don't want the Academy to vote him in just because he's Asian, but primarily because he's brilliant in it--and word is, he is brilliant. So yeah!

Just watched the film and yeah, I think he's getting in. Not as subdued (which the Academy usually ignores) of a performance as I expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1