filmlover

Best Actress Predictions 2020

24 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Hudson is out. the Oscars delay look really silly right now, either the film is a dud or they want it to make money in theaters.

The latter, most likely. Mentioned in the other thread that it's now opening in its original spot (mid-August, a spot that has worked out in the past for movies like The Help to Straight Outta Compton to Crazy Rich Asians) before it started to move around. Everyone knows that it's gonna be impossible to properly sell a movie in the next few months as case numbers are starting to soar again anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Ma Rainey's reactions drop and the "lead or supporting" debates are about Viola? Plot twist! I think she might stay in lead despite the screentime. She's won an Oscar already, there's a history of Black women getting "demoted" to the Supporting category and she'll want the Best Actress prestige.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Ma Rainey's reactions drop and the "lead or supporting" debates are about Viola? Plot twist! I think she might stay in lead despite the screentime. She's won an Oscar already, there's a history of Black women getting "demoted" to the Supporting category and she'll want the Best Actress prestige.

FWIW the role of Ma Rainey was actually nominated in the equivalent to the Supporting category at the Tony Awards back in the day (as was Chadwick's role) for whatever reason. Never seen any production of it before so wouldn't know. Doubt that'll be happening here with big names Davis and Boseman dominating all the coverage for the movie.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

FWIW the role of Ma Rainey was actually nominated in the equivalent to the Supporting category at the Tony Awards back in the day (as was Chadwick's role) for whatever reason. Never seen any production of it before so wouldn't know. Doubt that'll be happening here with big names Davis and Boseman dominating all the coverage for the movie.

Did the play have any leads, then? I agree, though, Viola is probably going to stay in Best Actress.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, filmlover said:

I don't think Let Them All Talk was ever supposed to be anything but an HBO Max exclusive, so Meryl won't be in contention for it.

Meanwhile, she's officially going Lead for The Prom.

Let Them All Talk is competing as a feature film: www.goldderby.com/article/2020/let-them-all-talk-meryl-streep-hbo-max/. Probably not going to be a big Oscar contender but I think we could see a big supporting actess push for Candice Bergen and a couple of noms at the GGs.

Edited by lorddemaxus

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Let Them All Talk is competing as a feature film: www.goldderby.com/article/2020/let-them-all-talk-meryl-streep-hbo-max/. Probably not going to be a big Oscar contender but I think we could see a big supporting actess push for Candice Bergen and a couple of noms at the GGs.

Good chance Meryl is double nominated at the Globes now and should easily pick up a SAG nomination for one of the two movies (most likely The Prom since it's gonna get a lot more attention in general and is probably locked for an Ensemble nom) which may or may not be enough to secure a nomination on Oscar morning depending on competition. In a more competitive year she would likely miss with GG/SAG nominations for the first time since 1994's The River Wild.