baumer

Sonic The Hedgehog (2020)

Grade it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

C-

Within the first minute of this movie, an alien hedgehog has already made 3 2020-US-specific pop culture references and a civil war joke. This probably indicates everything you need to know about whether you like it or not. 

I imagine that some, certainly US, audiences might not actually even notice how culturally niche this movie is in places in terms of references and style, but the disparity between Dom and Int numbers seems to already be indicating that the "Olive Garden effect" is real, even if the dynamic is combated somewhat by genuine kid appeal in places and a simple, slick narrative with nothing overtly clunky.

On the positive side, Jim Carrey is on his way back to full form, Sonic's human friends are pretty well performed and the whole thing is probably charming-adjacent if you don't feel bashed into submission by the pop culture references. That said, I was expecting a four quadrant family movie and what I got was an all-out kids movie that appeals to some adults based on nostalgia and good charity.

The movie's called SONIC but it should be called ROBOTNIK. Imagine being a video game icon, the fastest thing alive, and being upstaged by a human being.

Honestly, Sonic was obnoxious, everyone around him levelled him out but not a whole bunch.

the model looked much more like Sonic and less creepy, so that's good.