Boxofficerules

Freaky | Friday, November 13, 2020

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Releasing it during a Pandemic will hurt it box office wise, are they still planning on November?

i assumed that the pandemic's effect was obvious. Gratuitous and repetitive to start every box office post with "the pandemic... but" lol :lol: 

I just mean in terms of how much it WOULD have made on this same release date if it was PG13 like HDD

Between the combo of title and release date they're clearly not expecting more than one good weekend out of this (or at least as much of a good weekend as possible in the pandemic era where no one is going to the movies) so giving theaters a one weekend wonder before making it available at home a few weeks later (theaters have the option to continue showing the movie even after the VOD release under the new release plans) sounds like the perfect approach.

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Between the combo of title and release date they're clearly not expecting more than one good weekend out of this (or at least as much of a good weekend as possible in the pandemic era where no one is going to the movies) so giving theaters a one weekend wonder before making it available at home a few weeks later (theaters have the option to continue showing the movie even after the VOD release under the new release plans) sounds like the perfect approach.

If it were me, I'd offer "early sneaks" on Oct 30/31 before the open...seems like a no brainer for the movie...

On 9/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

They also got Fantasy Island, which was horrible.

They're usually hit or miss, but this Freaky movie looks like fun like Happy Death Day.

You can say that amost just about every studio in Hollywood. In a single year, they all release hits and flops. It is all about whe the proportion is.

And given Blumhouse usual small budgets they are not risking much with this release.

Edited by dudalb

Just checked and Blumhouse spent a whopping 5 million on this. With that small a budget, a theatrical release looks like a reasonable gamble to me. Changes are Blumhouse willl make whatever they drop on a release back with VOD.