sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Probably thought it was just easier to use a CGI dog than a real one given the stunts involved even if it made the budget higher. Last thing anyone wants, especially for a movie like this, is another scandal like the one when A Dog's Purpose came out a few years ago (even if that ended up proving to be nothing and the movie did well anyway).

I could imagine a bit like you do no want to tell Sam Jackson to redo a take because the cats was not doing the right thing on camera, if you get Ford maybe he didn't want to act with a dog, animal can had a lot of shooting hours.

I agree with it being a good OW for something like this, hard to imagine doing more than that, put it at least it opened category it is all in the hands of the legs and intl now, A Dog purpose made 205M with a 18.22m opener after all.

When I see how hard Italy got it in the last few days I think it's time to take the Coronaviris into account for the global gross of many movies, not just the Chinese gross.

I suspect Mulan from Disney might get delayed, unless it's already done?

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

When I see how hard Italy got it in the last few days I think it's time to take the Coronaviris into account for the global gross of many movies, not just the Chinese gross.

I suspect Mulan from Disney might get delayed, unless it's already done?

No way Disney just delays the whole movie a month out. I mean, if they do, I'll be totally shocked. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

No way Disney just delays the whole movie a month out. I mean, if they do, I'll be totally shocked. 

Well, better being delayed than bombing don't you think? China is the main market for this movie after all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, better being delayed than bombing don't you think? China is the main market for this movie after all.

The weird obsession to delay Mulan because China is mystifying to me (don't give me the "main market" "no appeal outside China" nonsense)

If you delay a movie a month from release, right on the final stretch of the marketing campaign, people are going to be confused, and every market is going to fall, and it will bomb harder than it ever would now w/out China. Besides, Disney's only gonna get a quarter of that money anyway, so a delay like that makes even less sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I do think that everyone needs to realize we are quickly entering uncharted territory in just the last 2-3 days with the virus as it's rapidly spread far beyond the initial infection zones. Countries like South Korea, Italy and Iran have seen their infection numbers double or triple in just the last 24-48 hours. And this is almost a month since China basically shut down large parts of their country. Given the two week incubation period, many experts are worried now that the virus wasn't contained to a few areas as well as was thought even earlier this week.

So yes, at this moment in time it looks like it would be foolish for Disney to make such a move. 
But in 3 weeks from now, things *could* look much, much different. 

It's a scary thought, but getting more realistic by the day.

• Sad 2

5 days before their release date,  Detective Chinatown 3 and the rest of the CNY slate was expected to make over $1B. Now nobody knows if they’ll even see the light of day before June. Virology can hit like a speeding freight train.

Delaying Mulan’s release worldwide just because of China is foolish. Delaying it because of China+minor corona #s in Singapore+South Korea+Japan+Iran+Italy is unlikely.   

Delaying it because of medium-major corona numbers in those markets+India+France+Germany+Spain+Australia+New Zealand+Southeast Asia would be another thing entirely. I hope Disney won’t be in a situation where the pros of multi-continental indefinite delay outweigh the cons, but I don’t think it can be totally ruled out at this point.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

Anecdotal, but CotW increased tonight at the local theatre just for evening shows (74 tickets total for the 7:00 last night, 69 already sold 1.75 hours out from start time tonight). Coupled with matinees doubling, this is having a pretty solid Saturday bump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

The weird obsession to delay Mulan because China is mystifying to me (don't give me the "main market" "no appeal outside China" nonsense)

If you delay a movie a month from release, right on the final stretch of the marketing campaign, people are going to be confused, and every market is going to fall, and it will bomb harder than it ever would now w/out China. Besides, Disney's only gonna get a quarter of that money anyway, so a delay like that makes even less sense.

Except that it isn't only China goind down, SK and Japan (usually big markets for these Disney movies) are also in a bad situation, and if things doesn't improve, soon most of Asian will be on quarantine, and it is a big problem when we consider that this movie was designed to appeal to an audience that won't be even able to watch it.

Delaying it would be the best scenario for this movie. 

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Except that it isn't only China goind down, SK and Japan (usually big markets for these Disney movies) are also in a bad situation, and if things doesn't improve, soon most of Asian will be on quarantine, and it is a big problem when we consider that this movie was designed to appeal to an audience that won't be even able to watch it.

Delaying it would be the best scenario for this movie. 

It will release in China... eventually - just like other movies.   There's going to be a logjam for months so unless they held on to it for another 9-12 months it wouldn't matter.    That's not going to happen.    The most they could do is delay it certain territories like SK (Japan too but films are often delayed there any way)  To hold it up WW would waste all the marketing that's already been spent and cause a havoc in Disney release schedule for other large films.

• Like 2

The idea that only China+SK+Japan will be significantly affected may be comforting, but it’s also rather unwarranted. Talking definitively about what Disney should do when it depends on the next 35 days of viral spread is just silly.

• Like 1

Probably not the place to be posting hot takes like this, but waiting to be convinced that coronavirus is remotely different than SARS, swine flu, or any of the other "this is the big one" scares of my lifetime. Like those, I can see this going away within a month or two time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1