sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

17 minutes ago, john2000 said:

?

He is talking about Mulan. @lorddemaxus

I also think both Mulan and Onward are in big danger. 

Mulan is bombing big time. 200m budget and 120m+ marketing budget without China, SK and many other Asian markets. This is going to be the second biggest bomb of the year. 

Onward is gonna underperform. More in line with Good Dinosaur. 

Back to back bombs for Disney in 2020. 

Call of the wild, Onward and Mulan. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

He is talking about Mulan. @lorddemaxus

I also think both Mulan and Onward are in big danger. 

Mulan is bombing big time. 200m budget and 120m+ marketing budget without China, SK and many other Asian markets. This is going to be the second biggest bomb of the year. 

Onward is gonna underperform. More in line with Good Dinosaur. 

Back to back bombs for Disney in 2020. 

Call of the wild, Onward and Mulan. 

i hope not, as for call of , that was fox, disney would never have made this movie

The only saviour in 2020 is Domestic market. 

Most of the big Overseas markets are pretty much dead for movies box office because of Cronavirus. 

I wonder what will happen to big budget movies. 

Tenet, Fast and Furious, Black Widow, Wonder Woman and Jungle Cruise all in big danger. 

Mulan and No time to Die already dead in many markets. 

Can Domestic market save these movies? 

HBO Max, Netflix and Disney Plus will also affect already dreary market. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 4

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Most of the big Overseas markets are pretty much dead for movies box office because of Cronavirus. 

Tenet, Fast and Furious, Black Widow, Wonder Woman and Jungle Cruise all in big danger. 

dude calm down with the doom and gloom. Seriously, the only market that's shut down is China right now. We don't even know if any of the other countries infected are going to reach China levels (SK is already taking some pretty big measures to contain the outbreak). And you're saying that movies that are 6 months off are in "big trouble" and that "most big markets are dead".

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Wtf is happening to BOP 😱

I am seeing positive wom on social media. It is very Infuriating. 

The movie is actually good. I f**ng hate the alt right youtubers. 

The Power of alt-right youtubers, lol

How about the movie is only good for a small woke twitter bubble but mediocre and unappealing for almost everyone else ?

Terrible marketing didn't help of course.

Bad opening, bad legs, bad run in the US and abroad: unmitigated flop

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

It is Disney movie now. 

They acquired it. 

Fox Studio is curse to Disney rather than boon. 

No Fox movie has done good as of now. 

Even Ford v Ferrari was not a win. 

Jojo Rabbit underperformed. 

Dark Phoenix bombed. Terminator failed overseas. 

Nothing is working. 

Disney will soon be dead. They already have a lots of debt. Asian market is flop for Disney. 

Everything is in red as of now. 

The only good thing they have as of now is Disney+ and Baby Yoda. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 16

I was reading a thread about the weekend box office when......

Anyway, Sonic looks like it's going to fall in the sweet spot above the midweek trend but below the silly projections. Not the absolutely massive hit it perhaps got reactionarily praised as (not here, but in some quarters) but certainly a pleasing success for Paramount. 

Eesh at BOP not likely getting to 90m. I maintain it's the new Scott Pilgrim (or Ready Player One if it hadn't had Asian markers and the Spielberg name to save it) , a film that looks mainstream but chips and chips away at target demographic until the ultimate target audience is way more niche than it, or critics who sit within that niche, thinks. 

Call of the Wild can hope for long legs if indeed it is skewing that old. 

• Like 3

Moderation:- Stop this ridiculous nonsense and get back to this weekend. @Madhuvan you need to stop your concern trolling, it is derailing the thread. Warnings and thread bans will follow. Also it is not against the rules to react to posts. That was pointed out to you earlier also. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

To be quite honest, I decided to give BOP a chance, and while it is certainly better than Suicide Squad, it’s still not a great movie. 

The birds of prey were completely underutilized in my opinion, especially Huntress.

Also, the gay undertones for Ewan’s character was just confusing. It’s 2020, if you want your Villain to be gay, just make him gay! Truly bizarre and distracting.  

And whomever made the decision to go R rated should be fired. It did nothing to add to the film, and a few cuts could have made it PG13 and opened it up to a bigger audience. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Also, the gay undertones for Ewan’s character was just confusing. It’s 2020, if you want your Villain to be gay, just make him gay! Truly bizarre and distracting.  

And whomever made the decision to go R rated should be fired. It did nothing to add to the film, and a few cuts could have made it PG13 and opened it up to a bigger audience. 

McGregor's character was meant to be a homage/subversion of queer coded villains from a crapton of films. Maybe you found it distracting but I thought it was a great way to establish that he's gay while also making it clear that he isn't evil or failed because he's gay (unlike the queer coded villains of 90s and 80s where being gay and flamboyant was shown as a flaw).

And the movie wouldn't have been the same without its vulgar humor and most of the stuff Black Mask does and says.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

McGregor's character was meant to be a homage/subversion of queer coded villains from a crapton of films. Maybe you found it distracting but I thought it was a great way to establish that he's gay while also making it clear that he isn't evil or failed because he's gay (unlike the queer coded villains of 90s and 80s where being gay and flamboyant was shown as a flaw).

And the movie wouldn't have been the same without its vulgar humor and most of the stuff Black Mask does and says.

1. No, they didn't make him an open gay character because it was still designed to be a blockbuster, and they would never give such an important role to a gay character on a blockbuster (prove I'm wrong, Eternals!), even Deadpool, one of the most 'edgy' franchises out there, has a gay character that doesn't even have 5 minutes on screen. 

2. Most of the stuff BM does we can't even see anyway because they're too hard even for a Rated R rating, so what's the point? The narrative wouldn't have suffered if it were PG13, and the B.O would've been bigger.

The main reason why it is underperforming is because they ignored Harley's main demo (teen girls), it's like Disney make a Mulan movie designed for Asian audiences, and they can't even watch it. Of course numbers will suffer. 

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

How old are you?

4 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

It is Disney movie now. 

They acquired it. 

Fox Studio is curse to Disney rather than boon. 

No Fox movie has done good as of now. 

Even Ford v Ferrari was not a win. 

Jojo Rabbit underperformed. 

Dark Phoenix bombed. Terminator failed overseas. 

Nothing is working. 

Disney will soon be dead. They already have a lots of debt. Asian market is flop for Disney. 

Everything is in red as of now. 

The only good thing they have as of now is Disney+ and Baby Yoda. 

Is this a legitimate post or sarcasm? Literally nothing you said was true, except that Fox had some failures, but Fox's films are small change for Disney. Disney could write off Fox's studio segment for the next 10 years and be ok, literally

Look at Disney's studio segment, the one that took the largest hit due to the Fox underperformers. Despite those losses, Disney's studio segment was still at least twice as profitable as those from every other major studio (WB and Universal mainly, since Sony, Paramount and Lionsgate consider themselves lucky to breakeven). As a company, Disney remains immensely profitable. The profit margins it posts on its studio segment are about twice that of its competitors, even this year with the integration of the Fox flops. Disney's studio segment isn't even its biggest business, Parks and Media Networks (the latter of which was the main reason for acquiring Fox) are far bigger. I've even seen people suggesting that Galaxy's Edge somehow crippled Disney. Just read through the SEC filings, that is simply not the case.

You have to understand, for a company as large and as profitable as Disney, a 400m+ loss from the Fox acquisitions is literally nothing. Especially when the studio's profit margins are still massive despite such large losses.

Now about Disney's large debts..... After acquiring Fox, Disney did take on more debt. However, it still has very low debt levels compared to its peers. Let's look at WB's parent AT&T, which has a long term debt to asset ratio of 0.31, or how about Universal/Comcast, which has a ratio of 0.37

How about Disney's long-term debt to asset ratio? 0.27 (compared to about 0.17 prior to the Fox acquisiton). So please tell me, is Disney being crushed under the weight of its debts? Prior to the Fox acquisition Disney was fairly debt-light compared to its competitors. Sure, the debt level has gone up considerably (from about 0.19 to 0.27) but it remains below the indebtedness of its competitors. Furthermore, there are many things Disney can do to reduce its current debt load should it choose to do so. Disney basically generates in profit each year as much as the entirety of the debt load they inherited from Fox. I promise you, a Disney bankruptcy is not on the horizon

My goodness man, part of me thinks you're just trolling, because no one can be so uninformed in the era of the internet and when the SEC literally demands that the nitty gritty details of public companies become part of the public domain. If you want links to the SEC documents I can supply them, but it would take you all of five minutes to check for yourself....

Disney is in no danger whatsoever, and it is far far from being in the red. It remains the most profitable studio in Hollywood, and even with all of Fox's debts, the parent company remains less in debt than its competitors (I like debt to long term assets as a measure because it focuses on tangible assets as opposed to equity, but if you look at debt to equity Disney is also significantly less indebted than Comcast or AT&T)

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1