sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Could get itself a sequel if Downey took a salary cut...again, the current production budget could easily be halved even if they booked a 2nd star with Downey...if Downey would do it for less:)...

Maybe the final WW number will make it happen...especially since (even without China) it's passed the WW performance of 2019 family movies The Addams Family, Lego 2, Abominable, Spies in Disguise, Angry Birds 2, Dora, and all the movies that couldn't make $100M WW and aren't worth listing...

I mean, Disney went higher...supers went higher...and Jumanji, Pets 2, Pikachu, and HTTYD3 went higher...and that's about it...so, if you don't have supers or you're not the Disney studio, this sequel might be your best move:)...

This is losing $100m... no one is going to even think about a sequel, even for a second lol. It’s a bigger flop than all the films you listed. The films that made less than $100m worldwide are probably making more money in profit than Dolittle lol. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, I don't think so...I think RDJ and a cute tight story for 3-103 is the appeal.  They could reuse ALL the animal characters with no extra costs for CGI development next time (since all of that initial design is done)...and people would be happy if they just gave a new story...RDJ's salary is the hardest cut...

Considering what the Jumanji remake did you could be right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Great start for Emma. It has everything going for it to become an indie sleeper hit as it expands.

It's weird that Emma. is considered an indie film considering it's a lavish period drama by the same studio that made both Downton Abbey and Mary Queen of Scots. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's weird that Emma. is considered an indie film considering it's a lavish period drama by the same studio that made both Downton Abbey and Mary Queen of Scots. 

That's what the industry's come down to. Well, maybe it's not too weird. There was a mediocre adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest that released in a limited amount of American theaters. I think it's less about whether the film is independent or studio and more about whether the distributor is treating it as a specialty release. But if there's anyone who knows how to market a film like Emma, it's Focus Features. Maybe they're taking ideas from A24's book this time around. I dunno. I'm sure people will wanna see it.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's from specialty studio Focus, who tend to platform their movies before expanding with a handful of exceptions, so naturally most will consider it an indie heh.

JUM2 is 12 away from 800. OS could get 3 odd more, so Dom needs to make it to 320...not easy.

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $310,964,423 Details
International Box Office $477,000,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $787,964,423

3 dom + 1.3 os = 4.3 ww weekend

Jumanji: The Next Level (SNY): $1.3M intl weekend (47 markets); $477M intl cume ($788M global)

• Like 2

Reallyyyyyyy hoping Call of the Wild can go up 0.2M with actuals, just so we can hit the 25M benchmark.

It was a pretty good movie. I felt emotionally detached towards some of the stuff in the second half (nothing to do with the CGI dog... mostly forgot about that after 20 minutes) but I wish there had been more between Ford and the dog. I just felt that the emotional payoff was lacking, and didn't hit the highs that the movie thought it hit. I'll tell you thought, my sister had the opposite reaction (let's just say she almost laughed because her "eyelashes just fell off").

2 hours ago, a2k said:

JUM2 is 12 away from 800. OS could get 3 odd more, so Dom needs to make it to 320...not easy.

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $310,964,423 Details
International Box Office $477,000,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $787,964,423

3 dom + 1.3 os = 4.3 ww weekend

It's impossible to predict. Last week OS was 473m, so it was 4m week. Based on 1.3m weekend, 3m is very good guess, but based on 4m week, not really. I think sony is trying to push it over 800m.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

It's impossible to predict. Last week OS was 473m, so it was 4m week. Based on 1.3m weekend, 3m is very good guess, but based on 4m week, not really. I think sony is trying to push it over 800m.

if that's the case then it could add 5m more making 800 likely - would need 7m dom after 3m weekend.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, a2k said:

if that's the case then it could add 5m more making 800 likely - would need 7m dom after 3m weekend.

One more time very good guess, 5m after 4m week is very possible. But 5m after 1.3m weekend, is not really possible, right? Unfortunately last week numbers doesnt have sense, so we can't make constructive guessestimate. 

6 hours ago, a2k said:

BOP 85 prod budget, >85 dom, 210 ww : declared a flop

Dolittle 175 prod budget, <80 dom, 250 ww : "china could save it" 🤔

See, you confuse me with others...I think BoP did fine for its budget...it just really underperformed expectations...ie - if WB had that on the books for their revenue stream for 2020 at $450M WW (ala Shazam), boy, they've got a lot to make up this year...

Funny enough, Dolittle may be overperforming corporate revenue expectations of 2020 (probably not of 2018/2019 when it got set:)...since everyone's talk was that this would be the Cats/Monster Trucks of 2020 opening...and right now, instead, it's #2 WW, and may stay in that spot even after all Jan/Feb movies finish their runs:)...now, it's a goner for #2 after March movies open:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • ...wtf 1

@MCKillswitch123 It was a Carnival bloodbath as most movies dropped hard from Valentine's Day weekend and openers bombed left and right. The good part? Most will recover over the next 3 days as people are enjoying the vacations. Which means Birds of Prey, 1917 and Fantasy Island should have very healthly weekdays while Call of the Wild should double his OW over the next 3 days.

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_20_a_23_fevereiro_2020_242325e53d78ef0067.pdf

Sonic easily dominated and Parasite is a monster. Everything else was either DOA openers or tanked over 50% from last weekend. Abolutely bonkers drop for Mon Inconnue, which sold over 10.000 tickets last weekend to just 1.600 tickets this weekend. Probably some sort of record.

Edited by CJohn
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, you confuse me with others...I think BoP did fine for its budget...it just really underperformed expectations...ie - if WB had that on the books for their revenue stream for 2020 at $450M WW (ala Shazam), boy, they've got a lot to make up this year...

WB will easily make up for BOP simply because they have WW1984 and Tenet which will do very well for them plus wildcards in the form of Scoob! and In The Heights. 

• Thanks 1