sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

24 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Call of the Wild is also on a tear. Thinking 6m+ true friday. That should ensure 20m+ OW. 

Honestly I'm really pleased about that. It seems to be selling very well at my locals for the evening, and matinees aren't too bad either. Really hope that 20+ number sticks, seeing something on a "mini-breakout" like this is always nice. Hope it doesn't get eaten alive by Onward and can manage ~65M or so. Curious to what OS will do. 

18 minutes ago, john2000 said:

still thats terrible, i still cant see why this budget , i really cant

And yes, this is the other side of the coin. No idea why they'd invest this much into it, who in their right minds would think Call of the Wild is going to do ~300M WW or so. The only plus I can think is since it's a Disney acquisition, and they don't seem to have paid too much to market it, this isn't going to be a huge money-loser for them, since it essentially "came" with their purchase of Fox. 

With A dog purpose went over $200M, maybe it broke some AI that create movies ? I imagine it could have done more than A Dog purpose, but what could have been a big if not the main market for this (China) is down right now.

Edited by Barnack

Thanks Keyser for giving updates. 

I love it when trends are broken in a positive way 😂 will be very curious to see where Sonic ends up and then the question becomes what makes it different than the last 6 years. 

Also, nice to see Wild doing great at this point (relative to expectations of course.)

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/02/sonic-the-hedgehog-call-of-the-wild-barks-brahms-the-boy-ii-weekend-box-office-1202865381/

2nd Update, Midday: Weekend estimates right now show Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog ahead of Disney/20th Century Studios The Call of the Wild$26.1M to $24.9M. If you see some media reports showing Call of the Wild, ahead, note that’s because the outlet is only using one studio’s estimates.

Despite besting tracking, that opening for Call of the Wild, isn’t anything to bark loudly about. It’s a very expensive movie at $135M before P&A, and the question remains what kids are going to be intrigued to see Harrison Ford outside of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Dudes over 50, should be there. Friday’s figure for Sonic looks to be $6.5M at 4,198 while Call of the Wild is looking at $7.4M at 3,752.

Meanwhile, in 5th place is STX’s $10M PG-13 horror movie Brahms: Boy II with an expected $5.3M at 2,151 after a Friday that’s bound for $1.85M.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

So Sonic is already coming down from the $29-$40M...and Call of the Wild is going up...

Not sure either will hit the new numbers, although I'd give Call the edge since movie subscribers have it as the one big opener to go see (and it seems to be drawing from the 50+, not just the family group...just like Dolittle did - the power of the big star:)...

CoW $7.4F (so true F of $6.4M)

Sonic $6.5M F

Edited by TwoMisfits

If you see some media reports showing Call of the Wild, ahead, note that’s because the outlet is only using one studio’s estimates.

Wording's kind of weird there. Is like Variety going to say Call of the Wild takes it, and Deadline wants to sound smart?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6.5m is around 155% if my off the top math is close 😂 so not as high as Lego in 2014 but higher than the other animated films we have looked at. Interesting development interesting indeed. 

If 6.5 ends up accurate it definitely put upper 20s into play 🤷‍♂️ love nice surprises 

14 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Wording's kind of weird there. Is like Variety going to say Call of the Wild takes it, and Deadline wants to sound smart?

Yeah, not only is it weird but its like they also are considering it playing like a family film instead of the adult type its skewing as so far.