sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

~25M give or take a couple mil would be really really great for Call of the Wild relative to expectations. Still don't know what they were thinking with that budget, it shouldn't have been any higher than 60 or so. 

Just got back from Sonic. It's serviceable, it isn't a trainwreck by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not going to remember it a month from now. If it can hit around 26-27 or so for the weekend, that would be perfectly fine for it and still put it on track to beat Pikachu domestically (which was a better film imo). 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It's seriously good.  Fantastic acting, photogrqphy and direction. I really recommend this to anyone who can get to see it.

Meanwhile, having just seen Call of the Wild, I'm rooting for it in its bizarre lost cause. Despite CGI dog there is a lot of heart and effort in that movie. I found it considerably superior to Sonic, and a good family yarn. Lots of atmosphere and lots of care. Closer it can get to 30 the better, and would love it to cause a little mini upset.

I'm hoping to see both soon. Lilo & Stitch is honestly one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm always excited to see what Chris Sanders does next.

• Like 2

Just now, DAJK said:

~25M give or take a couple mil would be really really great for Call of the Wild relative to expectations. Still don't know what they were thinking with that budget, it shouldn't have been any higher than 60 or so. 

Honestly the more I think about it, I do get why they greenlit the movie with that budget. Granted, they aren't good reasons, but when do studio execs ever have good reasons?

The movie was developed before the Disney-Fox merger, which is basically a year or so out from The Jungle Book blowing people away with its live-action/CGI hybridness (TJB was mentioned by Deadline). Considering studio execs love to bank on stuff that somebody else did, why not do the same thing with mocap people pretending to be dogs and green screens, enticing people with VFX wizardry? I don't know if using motion capture was the best idea, but hey, I get that maybe they wanted to sell the movie on that. (also from what I remember in the book, it's probably for the best they went the CG route)

It's probably also a situation like Robin Hood or King Arthur where people know Call of the Wild, but don't really have vested fandom interest in it, and execs don't realize the difference between "know of" and "fan of". It's a pitfall that hurts a lot of old properties when they're brought back.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Honestly the more I think about it, I do get why they greenlit the movie with that budget. Granted, they aren't good reasons, but when do studio execs ever have good reasons?

The movie was developed before the Disney-Fox merger, which is basically a year or so out from The Jungle Book blowing people away with its live-action/CGI hybridness (TJB was mentioned by Deadline). Considering studio execs love to bank on stuff that somebody else did, why not do the same thing with mocap people pretending to be dogs and green screens, enticing people with VFX wizardry? I don't know if using motion capture was the best idea, but hey, I get that maybe they wanted to sell the movie on that. (also from what I remember in the book, it's probably for the best they went the CG route)

It's probably also a situation like Robin Hood or King Arthur where people know Call of the Wild, but don't really have vested fandom interest in it, and execs don't realize the difference between "know of" and "fan of". It's a pitfall that hurts a lot of old properties when they're brought back.

And then is that the Jack London novel has a pretty grim ending. CHange that into a feel good ending and you just totally lost the point of the novel.

Spoiler

THronton is killed and Buck reverts to being a wild animal and joins a Wolfpack. That's why the novel is called "Call Of the Wild". We are not talking Old Yeller here...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Also from Deadline

Seems decent enough. Hail Queen Anya!

That's a great number actually, better than what the previous Austen adaptation (2016's Love & Friendship) started with. Should have no problem surpassing that movie's $14M total since it should expand well.

59 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

I'm hoping to see both soon. Lilo & Stitch is honestly one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm always excited to see what Chris Sanders does next.

His next project is apparently one of the unused characters from the original version of Bolt.

Holy crap, Invisible Man got an 18A rating in BC. They don't give those out very often (only one I can remember that I didn't think deserved it was Pet Sematary).

So, this is hard HARD R. Interesting, I do think it's going to hinder its box office potential not in the sense that BC getting an 18A is going to have any impact, but it's going to be a much less accessible movie for audiences to swallow than something like A Quiet Place. 

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

Lol has this been like thr worst start to the horror genre in any year? It's been like what? 5 straight up embarrassments in a row. 

Crap doesn't sell anymore. The Invisible Man and A Quiet Place Part II are coming to save the genre by actually looking good.

• Like 1

Honestly the reason I'm not calling Call of the Wild a failure (for audiences), despite how it ain't gonna recoup that budget is the following:

- It's not like it's trying to start a franchise, so we aren't missing out on any potential 'installments' or whatever.

- What did it in was the budget, not the actual box office. Studios aren't going to abandon projects like this because of this performance, since they see they can still open a movie to ~25M. They're just going to scale back the budgets for them, which I'm all for. 

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's a great number actually, better than what the previous Austen adaptation (2016's Love & Friendship) started with. Should have no problem surpassing that movie's $14M total since it should expand well.

Maybe.  

Emma is more name brand Austen so I'd expect it to start strong.

Meanwhile, Love & Friendship was based on a lesser known posthumously published novella she wrote when she was 19.  It had much stronger reviews with very good WOM and some Oscar buzz for Kate Beckinsale (she was alas snubbed) which gave it legs. 

Then again Emma is more romantic Austen so it might break out further into the mainstream.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe.  

Emma is more name brand Austen so I'd expect it to start strong.

Meanwhile, Love & Friendship was based on a lesser known posthumously published novella she wrote when she was 19.  It had stronger reviews with very good WOM and some Oscar buzz for Kate Beckinsale (she was alas snubbed) which gave it legs.

It should appeal to some of the same audience that turned out for the Downton Abbey movie and the like. Won't set the world on fire but could manage a solid $20-25M if it expands well, especially with nothing looking to really grab older audiences on the horizon for a while (the Oscar titles are beginning to fade with awards season over early this year).

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

keyser : wow 1m previews for cotw came in higher than my 0.9m projection (dives into mtc data)

deadline: wow sonic with 26 close to our 29-40 last moment range (gives box office team a massive raise)

Edited by a2k
  • Haha 2