sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Post 6PM numbers are awful. At 6PM was thinking of $8.5-9mn, now even $7mn seems like high end. Sonic catched CotW fast $6.5-6.75mn.

8M Friday then? Yeah... that is not that good.

That’s why you always need at least one hour of run rate to go along with the level 😛    

Anything in the 20s is well better than I expected. Fox getting bought is justice for awful budget decision like this.

Call of the Wild OD

MTC1 - overall 2143 shows 83298/354954 1059359.40 876765.71 post 6PM 1074 shows 43196/176766 605290.39 484782.16

MTC2 -overall 2129 shows 89186/316363 854720.25 700705.94 post 6PM 872 shows 37516/129357 436030.09 307580.26

It did slow down in the end. Based on MTC1/2 split and overall numbers I would say 6.75m true friday. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm shocked that Call of the Wild cost so much, you wonder if it'd been cheaper just to use a real dog. 

Disney's Togo cost $40m , though there has to be a major difference in costs other than a CGI dog at a $85-95m difference.  And it can't be star power or the outdoor setting since even The Revenant  at $135m-160m went wildly overboard it's initial $60m budget b/c the film was moved to another continent for re-shoots expanding filming to 11 months.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Brahms: Boys II

MTC1  - overall 1409 shows 28917/188856 349217.49 271360.05 post 6PM 729 shows 21962/99687 271140.93 207395.21

MTC2 - overall 1261 shows 28027/171411 287148.67 212465.16 post 6PM 511 shows 20154/68665 222363.46 153276.02

Probably ~ 1.9m true friday. This is behaving in line with tracking. Not worth tracking anymore. 

• Like 5

The Grey had a budget of just 25m. Not withstanding that below-the-belt marketing move, it was a very engrossing, well made "Dog" movie set in the wild with A-list production values. No reason why Call of the Wild should have a budget 5-6x that even with grander action scenes.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

I got it. They invented and built a time machine, transported the entire crew and equipment to 1890s Yukon, and shot the movie on location.

That's the ONLY reason I can come up with that justifies this budget. 

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I got it. They invented and built a time machine, transported the entire crew and equipment to 1890s Yukon, and shot the movie on location.

That's the ONLY reason I can come up with that justifies this budget. 

Planet of the Apes trilogy prod budgets:

Rise 93m

Dawn 209m

War 150m

Rise is most comparable to COTW in that one central character is motion-captured for most part of the movie. Dawn and War had an army of motion-captured characters with large-scale action involving them and humans. COTW budget on the high end of estimates is par with War. For it's scale that's ludicrous.

Edited by a2k

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

In a year where Bad Boys and Sonic both opened to 70M+ over a 4-day holiday, and Birds of Prey pretty much flopped, CotW's opening is certainly one of the interesting stories. If it hits 27-28 weekend, that's actually nuts :lol: 

$27-28m weekend would still make Call of the Wild a bigger flop than Birds of Prey. 

Some people on here really have double standards. Constantly attacking BOP, yet Dolittle and COTW are sitting right there 😂. Interesting. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$27-28m weekend would still make Call of the Wild a bigger flop than Birds of Prey. 

Some people on here really have double standards. Constantly attacking BOP, yet Dolittle and COTW are sitting right there 😂. Interesting. 

It’s less of a double standard and more about how a movie performs relative to expectations. Yea, CotW and Dolittle are gonna lose more $ than BoP I don’t think anyone should argue that. But at the same time, there was no Dolittle over 100M OW club, and the studio wasn’t relying on CotW being a big hit to justify future projects the way WB was with BoP.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Don't forget Rhythm Section as well.

I mean that thing was HISTORIC 

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It’s less of a double standard and more about how a movie performs relative to expectations. Yea, CotW and Dolittle are gonna lose more $ than BoP I don’t think anyone should argue that. But at the same time, there was no Dolittle over 100M OW club, and the studio wasn’t relying on CotW being a big hit to justify future projects the way WB was with BoP.

You don’t think they planned to make more adaptations from the same author? You think they hired Robert Downey Jr for Dolittle just to be a one-off? 

Disagree on both. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

53 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Both of those were expected to flop tho. I'm expecting two, expected to be big, films releasing next month to underperform and maybe even flop. We'll see how people react to that if that happens.

• Astonished 1