sfran43

Weekend Thread: Call of the Wild 8M Friday

50 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You don’t think they planned to make more adaptations from the same author? You think they hired Robert Downey Jr for Dolittle just to be a one-off? 

Disagree on both. 

Why would more adaptations from the same author be affected by this? Clearly the audience was there, they just spent too much on this one. Slash it in half or a third of what CotW was made for, and some other adaptation can make money if it has good marketing, the right star/cast, release date etc. 

And yes of course Dolittle was something being built with franchise potential. But I guarantee you the studio wrote that one off long before WB wrote anything off for BoP. Dolittle was an overbudget, production nightmare, horribly reviewed flop. While BoP was a smooth-sailing, lower-budget, well reviewed movie that didn't live up to either fan or studio expectations, and became a blemish in the DC box office track record despite being (imo) one of their superior entries. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

The bigger the property, the bigger the target. That’s why a movie like Birds of Prey will have its box office numbers dissected the way it did and why a movie like Call of the Wild most likely won’t. I’m not saying it’s fair but the reality is that you’re going to get far more people to read an article about Birds of Prey and it’s box office than you are about Call of the Wild. In an ideal

world, Call of the Wild will have articles written about it being a bomb similarly to how Birds of Prey got called a flop but to be honest I just don’t think people care enough about Call of the Wild for that to happen. I’m sure eventually Call of the Wild will have its fair share of articles written about it being a failure but I just don’t think it’s anything urgent to cover for the reason I mentioned above. 

Not sure why Dolittle is being brought up though as it has had several articles written about it being a box office failure in the same way that Cats did. The reason why those articles weren’t as prominent (if that’s the right word) is because it opened the same weekend as BB3 which got all the attention and rightfully so since it broke out in a big way. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

The bigger the property, the bigger the target. That’s why a movie like Birds of Prey will have its box office numbers dissected the way it did and why a movie like Call of the Wild most likely won’t. I’m not saying it’s fair but the reality is that you’re going to get far more people to read an article about Birds of Prey and it’s box office than you are about Call of the Wild. In an ideal

world, Call of the Wild will have articles written about it being a bomb similarly to how Birds of Prey got called a flop but to be honest I just don’t think people care enough about Call of the Wild for that to happen. I’m sure eventually Call of the Wild will have its fair share of articles written about it being a failure but I just don’t think it’s anything urgent to cover for the reason I mentioned above. 

Not sure why Dolittle is being brought up though as it has had several articles written about it being a box office failure in the same way that Cats did. The reason why those articles weren’t as prominent (if that’s the right word) is because it opened the same weekend as BB3 which got all the attention and rightfully so since it broke out in a big way. 

But Cats and Dolittle shouldn't be in the same conversation:)...

Cats didn't come close to even 1x its lower production budget of $95M...WW it only made it to $73.7M, which is true bomb territory of .775X:).

Dolittle has already made it over 1x its higher production budget of $175M with a current WW (that's still going up, with Russia opening this weekend and it still making money everywhere else in decent drips and drabs) of $185.4M, which is only flop territory of 1.06X:)...

It's not like Dolittle had more marketing exposure than Cats (instead, it's probably reverse), and kids' movie that are well received make much more in the after market than adult broadway bombs:)...

So, Dolittle, which opened very low, has made its comeback from OW bomb to flop territory...and may make it even closer to "disappointing" if it ever gets a China open.  Cats has no chance of moving anywhere out of its bomb position:)...

We'll see where on the line Call of the Wild falls...better than Dolittle or worse than Dolittle b/c this weekend has already probably lifted it above Cats.

• Like 1

It's like last week when someone made a "I call sexism" post on Twitter when they compared the reaction to the openings of both Ford V Ferrari and Birds Of Prey. Yes, both movies opened around the same and had around the same budget. However, one was a big comic book adaptation expected to dominate box office, and whose non-Buzz Thread tracking had it from WB's estimate of 45 to a high end of 55. The other was an adult drama that was tracking for a 20's opening that managed an A+ CinemaScore and had Oscar buzz. FVF, for better or worse, will likely make more WW than BOP (it's a lock that BOP won't catch it DOM).

Of course that TCOTW is a flop. Almost every single post I've seen in this thread put the asterisk of "overperformance but still too high a budget". However, on the account of expectations, TCOTW barely had any going into this weekend and it's pulling a O/U 25M OW when it was tracking for mid to high teens. BOP will be more profitable, but there wasn't a soul on Earth that thought the difference between the two wasn't gonna be more than what it will end up being. Same for Dolittle, which BOP won't outgross by a whole lot WW. That's why you will see a lot of headlines for BOP and not as many for COTW or Dolittle, even though BOP will not really be a massive money loser, especially not compared to either COTW or Dolittle.

• Like 4

Fantasy Island will barely cross $25M at this rate. At least the budget was low.

It's too bad the budget essentially dooms The Call of the Wild to "bomb" status because it would be seen as a nice little surprise otherwise. Going into the weekend I thought it would be lucky to clear a $12M opening and is looking to double that.