sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

12 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Teens who weren't allowed to go in without an adult were able to watch it.

?????

https://www.boxofficepro.com/studio-weekend-box-office-report-the-invisible-man-sonic-the-hedgehog-the-call-of-the-wild/

while the PG-13 rating opened it up to a younger demographic 

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

650k previews for Onward. Any good comparisons?

Lego Movie 2 had advance screenings in 550 theaters, and did about 600K, on the way to 1.5M previews. I think Onward going above Lego in less theaters (470) is pretty solid, especially since this doesn't really have an established audience apart from the Pixar brand, though that doesn't necessarily indicate breakout or instant hit

• Like 1

First off, I am so happy for Elizabeth Moss. She should have been an industry royalty by now but rather late than never I guess... after the excellent start of Invisible Man ( which I though would flop a couple months back) I hope Hollywood will give her the role she deserves.

Anyway, I am thinking of creating a club of no movie in 2020 over 1B WW but I am not sure if it already exists...anyone has an idea?

12 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Anyway, I am thinking of creating a club of no movie in 2020 over 1B WW but I am not sure if it already exists...anyone has an idea?

It's an option here  

When you suddenly see all these posts praising Moss *now* even though she just had the film role of a lifetime last year and none of these same people noticed, because the systems of distribution of quality films are in fact broken and there's a pervasive mindset that if it's not #1 at the box office, it isn't interesting or valuable

giphy.gif?cid=790b761170884102112cec0cdc

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

First off, I am so happy for Elizabeth Moss. She should have been an industry royalty by now but rather late than never I guess... after the excellent start of Invisible Man ( which I though would flop a couple months back) I hope Hollywood will give her the role she deserves.

It isn’t as if Elisabeth Moss has been lacking good roles. The Handmaid’s Tale alone is one of the best female and showy roles out there right now

29 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

When you suddenly see all these posts praising Moss *now* even though she just had the film role of a lifetime last year and none of these same people noticed, because the systems of distribution of quality films are in fact broken and there's a pervasive mindset that if it's not #1 at the box office, it isn't interesting or valuable

giphy.gif?cid=790b761170884102112cec0cdc

I've seen people conflate boxoffice with quality way too many times (mostly on r/boxoffice) and its not just dumb but also pretty insulting to the people who worked on the film. I hope when the modern day studio system collapses (which I think is happening soon), that this "pervasive mindset" dies along with it.

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Queen. Pretty sure no one predicted that she would end up having the best career of Mad Men's ensemble after the show ended.

Poor Vincent Kartheiser. Instantly reduced to being the sixth-billed cast member in various kinds of dreck after playing the best character on that show. The true invisible man.

• Thanks 1

i actually think her getting the best post-mad men stuff makes sense and was a pretty easy call. she was already serving in ARP movies before the show had ended. and as much as i like jon hamm the man is a textbook "tv star with flop film career" case.

• Like 4