sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly if the right role comes her way I could see Moss clean-sweeping through an Oscar season quite easily within the next 10 years. She already almost pulled a clean-sweep (SAG was the only thing she lost) on the TV side with the first season of The Handmaid's Tale.

I'd say next 5. She, Robbie and Ronan seems to be hitting all the right roles. 

Edited by Valonqar

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I wouldn't say it's so much about the fact that its tied with DC per-se, but more that it's tied to one of the biggest franchises in the industry right now. It's a movie with high expectations, high awareness, so yea of course people will talk about how much it came in below those expectations. Nobody's going to talk about Call of the Wild in a year, because no one expected it to gross 200M or whatever. 

Okay, what were the expectations?  Everyone knew it wasn't doing over $700M like Suicide Squad.   I saw some people saying $500M but even that was unrealistic.  

I think Shazam or slightly above Shazam numbers is a sound prediction and that's where I had it.  So it's definitely underperforming but not even close to something like how Solo underperformed...   

That's why I think it's getting into "trolling" territory because at the end of the day it's going to finish around $100M-$125M under fair expectations which happens all the time..  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Okay, what were the expectations?  Everyone knew it wasn't doing over $700M like Suicide Squad.   I saw some people saying $500M but even that was unrealistic.  

I think Shazam or slightly above Shazam numbers is a sound prediction and that's where I had it.  So it's definitely underperforming but not even close to something like how Solo underperformed...   

That's why I think it's getting into "trolling" territory because at the end of the day it's going to finish around $100M-$125M under fair expectations which happens all the time..  

100-125M under fair expectations though... that's different when expectations are 1B and it does 900M. Or when a movie does 50-60% of what expectations were. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

100-125M under fair expectations though... that's different when expectations are 1B and it does 900M. Or when a movie does 50-60% of what expectations were. 

So we should still be talking about Solo?  How long should it be a topic of conversation?  How many times can it be said "it failed to reach expectations" ...  the box office run is done.  There's no going up or down we know what the finish line is. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

So we should still be talking about Solo?  How long should it be a topic of conversation?  How many times can it be said "it failed to reach expectations" ...  the box office run is done.  There's no going up or down we know what the finish line is. 

I never said no one wasn't talking about Solo... but when people bring up Solo, no one throws their arms up and says "CAN'T WE JUST STOP COMPARING EVERYTHING TO SOLO ALREADY"

box office is a (science? for lack of a better word) based on historical precedence. So yea, obviously if there's a precedent (i.e. BoP or Solo or whatever movie either bombing or coming in WAY below what anyone expected) obviously that's going to be remembered and brought up for future analysis. Sorry to anyone who liked John Carter, but of course I'm still going to mention in when talking about big box office bombs. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sure go ahead. Solo flopped hard and SW9 box office was just ok, below average for SW films. 

Solo came out 2 years ago. BOP came out like 25 days ago

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'd say it's fair to continue discussing BoP's box office. It comes as a legitimate surprise, especially amid the "DC is just getting revved up|" narrative (a narrative that was, and is still, true by the way).

• Like 1

DC is indeed getting revved up but they obviously can't turn their less known characters into A listers unlike Marvel. I know that HQ was more known than GOTG but she was also most know as Joker's girlfriend so no Joker but lots of F list characters didn't excite audience outside of core fandom. So they still have a long way to go but at least their last few movies (Aquaman, Shazam, Joker, BoP) didn't get rotten reviews and Aquaman and Joker were 1 billion-grossing megahits. They are on the right track now they need patience and continue with quality products.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

DC is indeed getting revved up but they obviously can't turn their less known characters into A listers unlike Marvel. I know that HQ was more known than GOTG but she was also most know as Joker's girlfriend so no Joker but lots of F list characters didn't excite audience outside of core fandom. So they still have a long way to go but at least their last few movies (Aquaman, Shazam, Joker, BoP) didn't get rotten reviews and Aquaman and Joker were 1 billion-grossing megahits. They are on the right track now they need patience and continue with quality products.

Oh I agree. I just wanted to add a little context for why BoP's box office is a real talking point right now.

44 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

BOP's main problem was it's rating, simple as this.

HQ is a super popular character, but her biggest demo (teen girls) couldn't even watch the movie.

It doesn't help that they marketed this movie to an audience that couldn't even watch it, while at same, alienated the other demos. 

i doubt that if it was pg 13 it would have made more than 300 either way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

No, but it woul've done way more. The audiences that most loved the movie were teen girls, plus, the whole marketing was focused on that demo. It would've opened bigger and had better legs, imo. 

Because that worked for Black Christmas

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This movie should be making zero dollars. Literally the worst kids film in about a decade. I have no clue why parents are taking their kids to this movie when the kids are likely losing brain cells watching this. At least take them to Sonic which, although is utterly mediocre, is harmless fun.

Parents will bring their kids to any old crap to keep them quiet for two hours.

5 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

No, but it woul've done way more. The audiences that most loved the movie were teen girls, plus, the whole marketing was focused on that demo. It would've opened bigger and had better legs, imo. 

Considering that women loved the movie too according to posttrak, I think it would have been better if WB didn't force Yan and Robbie to make it PG-13 but just targeted it towards women instead of girls.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1