sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

it seems to me that Holland is scared to take something outside of his comfort zone (franchises and anything that sounds commercial). Leo is where he is because he didn't try to play teen hearthrobes forever but shifted gears shortly after Titanic. Holland is still trying to play for audience that crosses over with MCU. 

To be fair, Holland is only the same age DiCaprio was in Titanic. He's still got some time to branch out, and I wouldn't blame him for sticking in mostly commercial fare until his mid to late 20s. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2020 at 3:25 PM, DAJK said:

I wouldn't say it's so much about the fact that its tied with DC per-se, but more that it's tied to one of the biggest franchises in the industry right now. It's a movie with high expectations, high awareness, so yea of course people will talk about how much it came in below those expectations. Nobody's going to talk about Call of the Wild in a year, because no one expected it to gross 200M or whatever. 

I feel bad for movies like Call of the Wild which, had it had a normal budget for dog movies, would be considered a success. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Has anyone noticed that we haven’t had 2 horror movies in heather top 5 for awhile despite a glut of them.

I imagine the horror audience as the type to move quickly from one film to the next. And the general audience only sees 3 to 5 movies per year; most of the time, they're not going to horror movies, so they won't be a part of any legs. It takes cultural synergy to get people to go to a horror movie like they did with Get Out and It. By the by, I think The Invisible Man could've done $30M OW if not for the coronavirus.