sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

51 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

This Scientologist nut job is on a roll lately. She's a fantastic actress so good for her even though she's part of a psychotic cult 

Wait is Elizabeth Moss scientologist.. Wtf. I hate them to death. 

‘The Invisible Man’ Grows To $26M-$27M Opening Weekend – Saturday AM Update

And so, this weekend’s opening for Universal-Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man, now between $26M-$27M off its $7M production cost (before P&A), is a wonderful reminder that low budget genre fare continues to work. Grosses for the Leigh Whannell directed and written film have improved from Friday afternoon to a current $9.9M (including Thursday night’s $1.65M). Universal’s hope is that Invisible Man continues to play like a thriller with Saturday being even with Friday’s box office (or even better) and not like a horror movie which is typically front-loaded.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/the-invisible-man-opening-weekend-box-office-blumhouse-elisabeth-moss-1202870555/?repost

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Box Office For Feb. 28-March 1

thumb rank film dis. screens (chg) friday(vs. pv fri) 3-day tl wk
the-invisible-man.jpg?resize=500%2C281 1 Invisible Man Uni/Blum 3,610 $9.9M $26M-$27M $26M-$27M 1
sonic-hedgehog-e1579800010849.jpg?resize 2 Sonic Par 4,177 (-21) $3.5M (-44%) $15.5M (-41%) $127.8M 3
call-of-the-wild-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281 3 Call of the Wild Dis/20th 3,865 (+113) $3.6M (-55%) $13.4M (-46%) $46.1M 2
my-hero.jpg?resize=500%2C281 4 My Hero Academia… FUN 1,260 $1.8M $5.7M $9M 1
bad-boys-3.jpg?resize=500%2C281 5 Bad Boys for Life Sony 2,708 (-264) $1M (-36%) $3.9M (-33%) $197M 7
birds-of-prey.jpeg?resize=500%2C281 6 birds of Prey WB 3,124 (-441) $1.1M (-40%) $3.86M (-43%) $78.5M 4
impractical-jokers_-the-movie-l-r_-brian 7 Impractical Jokers TruTV 1,705 (+1,348) $918K (-3%) $2.8M (+8%) $5.9M 2
boy-22.jpg?resize=500%2C281 7 Brahms: Boy 2 STX 2,151 $796K (-64%) $2.8M (-52%) $9.9M 2
1917-george-mackay-water-scene.jpg?resiz 8 1917 Uni/Amb/NR 2,232 (-493) $742K (-37%) $2.6M (-37%) $155.8M 10
df-08098.jpg?resize=500%2C281 10 Fantasy Island Sony/Blum 2,724 (-60) $660K (-48%) $2.3M (-45%) $24M 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It is easily reaching $30m with a $9.9m. The IM was identical to GO, both did 6.0x off previews, If it keeps following GO during the weekend, it will end between $31m-$32m. 

Huge overperformance!

yes, this. deadline can't do IM. They embarrassed themselves with laughable 23M projection and are still in low range. Like I said last week, 27.4M OW is the floor. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It is easily reaching $30m with a $9.9m. The IM was identical to GO, both did 6.0x off previews, If it keeps following GO during the weekend, it will end between $31m-$32m. 

Huge overperformance!

I wouldn't say easily. Performing exactly like Get Out from here gives it 30.6 mil but I doubt it's dropping just 22% on Sunday like Get Out did. Looking at keyerzone's data too, Saturday jump from OD is looking more like 30% than Get Out's 41%. I'd say 30 mil is more the high end than the floor like you are saying. The floor is 28 mil.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wouldn't say easily. Performing exactly like Get Out from here gives it 30.6 mil but I doubt it's dropping just 22% on Sunday like Get Out did. Looking at keyerzone's data too, Saturday jump from OD is looking more like 30% than Get Out's 41%. I'd say 30 mil is more the high end than the floor like you are saying. The floor is 28 mil.

Yeah, I made a confusing and thought that 3.5x was the multiple including previews, when it was only FSS. In any case, it already followed the same pace as GO off previews, let's see if it manages to build the hype across the weekend like GO did to reach $30m. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Wait is Elizabeth Moss scientologist.. Wtf. I hate them to death. 

To her slight defence I believe she was raised from childhood as a scientologist, rather than an adult convert.

She was also married to abject creep Fred Armison. So she's suffered enough. Never seen someone who makes my skin crawl so much.

Hoping for 30m here, would like a sequel that develops the narrative in a new direction. 

Also interested in Call of the Wild drop, since its demographic would seem to imply good legs.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

How about this?  Who cares what kind of religion she practises?  If you like her work, that should be enough.  Every religion can have holes poked in it.  So I could care less if she is a Buddhist a Scientologist, Christian or someone who worships Rabbit droppings.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

How about this?  Who cares what kind of religion she practises?  If you like her work, that should be enough.  Every religion can have holes poked in it.  So I could care less if she is a Buddhist a Scientologist, Christian or someone who worships Rabbit droppings.  

:bravo:

She's a talented af and reportedly a really nice person so that's all that matters.

• Like 5

I wouldn't discard AQP 2 as unnecessary yet. if they are going for universe building, it could be a really interesting franchise. It also seems that there will be some human vs human conflict not just humans vs aliens, which is how apocalyptic scenarios go. some higher force (zombies, aliens) creates havoc and humans fight them alright, but they also fight among themslves for the event brings both the best and worst in people. I'm excited. :)

• Like 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't discard AQP 2 as unnecessary yet. if they are going for universe building, it could be a really interesting franchise. It also seems that there will be some human vs human conflict not just humans vs aliens, which is how apocalyptic scenarios go. some higher force (zombies, aliens) creates havoc and humans fight them alright, but they also fight among themslves for the event brings both the best and worst in people. I'm excited. :)

We'll see. Do you think it will make more than Sonic (domestic)?

Just now, Maggie said:

We'll see. Do you think it will make more than Sonic (domestic)?

if stars line up it could. it'll open above the first one but the riding is on legs. Us opened well above GO but ended up under due to collapse. Also, Sonic is family friendly so it may end up on the top thanks to that. I'm, of course, rooting for AQP2 though I respect Sonic that it turned its fortunes around so well. :bravo:

• Like 2

So here's the funny thing about the success of BB4L.  Nostalgia has already been in but now it's going to go in overdrive.  No one could see this film making 200 mill domestic and 400 WW.  A lot of his success is that people like Smith and Lawrence in these roles.  And now studios are going to dust off even moderately successful franchises and throw gobs of money at the former stars in hopes of duplicating Bad Boys success.  

And I'm all for it.  I'd love to see a GOOD fifth film in the Lethal Weapon series.  I'd love to see a GOOD fourth film in  Beverly Hills Cop series.  But here's the key....it has to be good if not great.  Part of the success of BB4L is that it is a good film.  It's funny, it still has Michael Bay's finger prints all over it and they didn't forget what made the first two very successful.  I just hope that if they are going to dust off 25-40 year old franchises, they don't forget to make them quality films. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yeah, BB4L' success is a big surprise. I was sure it was gonna flop. Is it just 90s nostalgia?

That's the thing about movies, you just don;'t know from one film to the next what's going to work.  You think you have the formula for success and then you get slapped in the face.  It's all one giant gamble.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Sonic - the biggest Paramount hit this year? I think A Quiet Place will do good, but we'll see how the sequel is received by audience. Seems like a movie which a sequel is unnecessary

Considering it's tracking for a $60m OW, I'd say that the interest is quite high, as long the movie delivers, it can beat the total of the original.