sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

1) a classic case to say that something is reall bad  without having see it

Wrong. Opening weekend has nothing to do having seen the movie, but all to do with marketing. if something doesn't look appealing, people won't see it. I don't have to see the movie to say that previews look rancid. I agree that corona is affecting everything but I also think that Onward wouldn't do much better without it and would be among the lowest grossing Pixar movies because it just didnn't look like a must-see. And given that it received the lowest score for a Pixar movie, legs wouldn't be great. It's a Pixar filler.

• Like 1

Onward D2 Morning Update

MTC1 - overall 4878 shows 101988/906284 1213169.28 1070004.37 post 6PM 2203 shows 26737/419105 397925.94 332019.17

MTC2 - overall 4488 shows 98763/704402 934875.32 811402.67 post 6PM 1659 shows 14034/269915 174081.29 123114.33

Close to double the pace seen yesterday. Should  increase 60-70%. Probably last day I am tracking this one. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Wrong. Opening weekend has nothing to do having seen the movie, but all to do with marketing. if something doesn't look appealing, people won't see it. I don't have to see the movie to say that previews look rancid. I agree that corona is affecting everything but I also think that Onward wouldn't do much better without it and would be among the lowest grossing Pixar movies because it just didnn't look like a must-see. And given that it received the lowest score for a Pixar movie, legs wouldn't be great. It's a Pixar filler.

Onward looked too off and unrelatable to me. It's idiosyncrasies didn't all come together. People used to ask about Cars -  headlights as eyes vs being on the windshield, speed/performance being dependent on engine/body parts vs will power/emotions, etc - but those things didn't bother me much. Onward's universe seems just too weird for the heck of it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, a2k said:

Onward looked too off and unrelatable to me. It's idiosyncrasies didn't all come together. People used to ask about Cars -  headlights as eyes vs being on the windshield, speed/performance being dependent on engine/body parts vs will power/emotions, etc - but those things didn't bother me much. Onward's universe seems just too weird for the heck of it.

Thank you! Agreed. No wonder at least ads I saw were really trying to sell this thing on Holland and Pratt names rather than concept that just didn't click (2 elves have to bring half of their dad back, wtf?).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, a2k said:

Really !?!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Futurist said:

You all make it sound like creating a world and characters, especially in the genre/fantasy/sci fi/ animation world that have global appeal is an easy task.

How much it is more created than your example (elf, manticore, centaur, faun, cyclops) and the long list of fantasy drop do not exist less for filmmaker than 1969 real world.

That obsession with originality being present in the wikipedia resume of a movie or not is special.

Edited by Barnack

31 minutes ago, a2k said:

My issue with Onward is the opposite, it's not weird enough. Take away the layer of fantasy, it's just a family road trip comedy (on the surface). Pixar could have gotten much weirder with this world, but the story they chose to tell seems somewhat conventional. More conventional than Pixar usually dreams up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Non-MCU Disney since 2017.

A Wrinkle in Time: Disaster ($130mn+ loss)

Solo: Disaster ($100mn loss) - Star Wars

Incredibles 2: Blockbuster ($450mn Profit) - Pixar

Christopher Robin: Flop ($25mn loss)

The Nutcracker and the four Realms: Disaster ($70mn loss)

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Average (Breakeven)

Mary Poppins Returns: Flop ($30mn+ loss)

Dumbo: Disaster ($50mn+ loss)

Aladdin: Blockbuster ($250mn Profit)

Toy Story 4: Blockbuster ($250mn Profit) - Pixar

The Lion King: Blockbuster ($575mn Profit)

Maleficent 2: Flop ($40mn loss)

Frozen 2: Blockbuster ($500mn Profit)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Hit (~$100mn Profit depending on Home Video) - Star Wars but not really once you accrue the acquisition cost.

Onward: Disaster ($75mn loss) - Pixar

Barring the 4 big Blockbusters last year its quite dull for Disney. The Flop films lost about $550mn but that was cancelled out by The Lion King, leaving $1.5 Billion Approx Net Profit.

MCU on other hand, in last 2 years had 6 films (5 Disney), made over $2.4Bn profits while including Far From Home around $2.75 Bn.

MCU - $2500mn (6 films)

Disney LA - $640mn (6 films)

Pixar - $625mn (3 films)

WDAS - $500mn (2 films)

Star Wars - loss (2 films)

Disney - ($160mn) (2 films)

With all respect for your box office tracking, I feel your numbers here are quite off base and do not match known reality.

Disney movie operating income 

From october 2016 to october 2017: 2,355M from 8,379M revenues

From october 2017 to october 2018: 2,980M from 9,987M revenues.

From october 2018 to october 2019: 2,686M from 11,127M revenues.

They probably made around 8 billion from movies in that time frame, they have a strong vault for sure but that would be quite the amount coming from legacy libraries dvd/tv sales.

I would be shock if Robin/Poppins lost money or that the 480M outside China Ralph just broke even

http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReportArchive/w/NYSE_DIS_2016.pdf

http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReports/PDF/NYSE_DIS_2018.pdf

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app/uploads/2020/01/2019-Annual-Report.pdf

• Like 2